Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Started your holiday projects yet?
 Anyone else can't keep up with gift requests?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

chantalscraftycorner
Warming Up

79 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2006 :  09:20:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit chantalscraftycorner's Homepage Send chantalscraftycorner a Private Message
I just can't keep up with the requests and I know I won't make it on time with my Christmas gifts! I've got requests for 2 earflap hats for kids with matching scarves, a scarf that I really want to do for the daycare provider, 2 baby afghans, a felted wine tote and a ski tube. I'm feeling the pressure! [crazy]

Chantal
www.ChantalsCraftyCorner.com

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2006 :  10:49:53 AM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message
No. I mean it say, No. Okay maybe a little bit nicer, Sorry, I'm to busy to get to that before this Christmas.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2006 :  11:01:11 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
That's what made me known for the saying: "I only knit for my grandkids." The only other comment I give out is "I'll put it at the bottom of my list and let you know if I get to it." It is a subtle way of saying no. The whole secret is not to let our pleasure at being asked overwhelm us with requests so that knitting becomes a chore instead of a pleasure.

fran

http://martianmischief.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

manika
Chatty Knitter

USA
126 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2006 :  11:08:31 AM  Show Profile Send manika a Private Message
wow! what a list! maybe you can offer knitting lessons instead so they can make their own gifts...

www.highstrungyarns.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

chantalscraftycorner
Warming Up

79 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2006 :  11:36:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit chantalscraftycorner's Homepage Send chantalscraftycorner a Private Message
Gotcha ! I'll either say no, that I only knit for my daughter or and I like that one ... i don't have time but I could come over one night and teach you how to knit !!

Chantal
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2006 :  11:48:34 AM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
I always like saying "I'm booked with commissions for two years. Would you like my card to contact me then?" And "NO" is a perfectly acceptable word. Right now I'm turning down all requests to work on squaddie scrubbers!

http://www.femiknits.blog-city.com/knitting_for_canadian_troops.htm
http://greenfishoutofwater.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

westcoastchica
Seriously Hooked

Canada
788 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2006 :  12:37:27 PM  Show Profile Send westcoastchica a Private Message
I absolutely REFUSE to knit "requests". Except for my sister (who understands the value of handknitting and bakes me cookies) and my boyfriend (because he maintains my computer all the time and only ever asks for tuques or socks).

Knit for fun, not obligation. If you're feeling pressure, that to me means that you're knitting for the wrong reasons. Just say no. People will still like you if you do. (In fact, in my experience, people usually tend to respect you more if you do. And then are SUPER appreciative later if you ever do decide to make them something.) Knit yourself something pretty instead.

Maria

http://sapphyreknits.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Tam
Permanent Resident

Australia
2810 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2006 :  5:47:06 PM  Show Profile Send Tam a Private Message
Apart from my kids, I don't think anyone has asked me to knit them anything (or if they have, maybe I just took it with a grain of salt, said 'yes' and then forgot about it!!)
I have knitted for other people occasionally and only as gifts or when I have offered. You should be saying no and only knitting for other people when and if you really want to.

Happy Knitting,
Tam in Melbourne

http://photos.yahoo.com/lillysmum2002

2006 Stats: 2 WIPs, 15 FOs
Go to Top of Page

lauriec
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
424 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2006 :  05:30:44 AM  Show Profile  Send lauriec a Yahoo! Message Send lauriec a Private Message
I tell people that I've got x number of projects to complete before I can take on any new requests & if they dont mind their projects coming after these are completed then fine.

Of course, you can always quote insanely high rates for the projects & the price will scare them away.

My blog: http://knitwitarmywife.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

csutliff
Chatty Knitter

USA
281 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2006 :  05:56:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit csutliff's Homepage Send csutliff a Private Message
Chantal, I really love love love when the asker says in a condescending way,"I''ll even buy the yarn." Like they have just done me a huge favor. I think, Oh goody, a chore for you and I don't even have to pay for the honor? But then there are those that see you making something out of expensive yarn and have no clue they have just asked you to make them something that takes $150.00 worht of expensive yarn, and frankly they don't care, they just want it...they don't want all the details or any of the work. I am just learning to say no. I don't have it down pat but I will get there. This is MY hobby, not everyone elses & I want to make things I love, for those I love.
Crystal

"Get your Knit On" http://www.freewebs.com/csutliff/
My Yahoo Knit Group!
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/michiganknitters/
Go to Top of Page

chantalscraftycorner
Warming Up

79 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2006 :  6:51:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit chantalscraftycorner's Homepage Send chantalscraftycorner a Private Message
I so agree with you all. Where is my spine ???? LOL!! That's it, i'm only knitting for me, my hubby and my daughter from now on! Seriously! Oh ... and a scarf for the daycare provider too. That's it!

Chantal
Go to Top of Page

cozystitches
Gabber Extraordinaire

507 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2006 :  8:43:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit cozystitches's Homepage Send cozystitches a Private Message
I'm of the group to quote insanly high prices. I made a cute (IMNSHO) bag for ME and some ladies at the park saw it. Now they are friends of mine and said they wanted one. I said no, I don't want to make any more and that I had been saving this particular fabric for a LONG time. The one said she'd pay me...I quoted $150 (this is for one of my small sock bags)...if people want to press me after I say NO then they get charged REALLY high prices..

blah...

Hugs,
tammy (who's only knitting gifts for those in her immediate family who have SPECIFICALLY asked for a knitted item, and have done so by the Oct 1 deadline...yes, I am serious)..

Tammy my Blog http://www.xanga.com/cozystitches
http://www.cozystitches.com
Go to Top of Page

SheBer
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
421 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2006 :  8:48:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit SheBer's Homepage Send SheBer a Private Message
Tammy - love the October 1st deadline!!

Sheri
www.theloopyewe.com
www.theloopyewe.com/sheri/ (blog)
Go to Top of Page

cozystitches
Gabber Extraordinaire

507 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2006 :  07:23:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit cozystitches's Homepage Send cozystitches a Private Message
Thanks. :D I did that last year too...sent my sisters (all FIVE of them) an email stating that if they don't TELL ME specifically what they want, they will get either NOTHING or $5 gift card to Target (where I work)...I asked my mom and dad personally what they wanted (and made my mom exactly what she wanted and she STILL wasn't happy, 'cause she had changed her mind and wanted something else in addition )

However, last year I had originally said Nov but had to back track my date. That's why this year I said by Oct 1. :D It makes my life easier, and then my sisters (all non-knitters, most who don't appreciate the stuff) don't get things that they don't want, I don't waste my time either.

Hugs,
tammy

Tammy my Blog http://www.xanga.com/cozystitches
http://www.cozystitches.com
Go to Top of Page

Solaris
Permanent Resident

Canada
4159 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2006 :  4:23:09 PM  Show Profile Send Solaris a Private Message
"Anyone else can't keep up with gift requests?"

Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about, but I wouldn't mind the requests. To me, it would mean that people like my knitting enough to ask for it, and that would be, I think, nice.
Go to Top of Page

Mama Cat
Permanent Resident

1223 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2006 :  3:37:18 PM  Show Profile Send Mama Cat a Private Message
For the first time in my life, somebody actually ASKED me to knit something for them!! I just returned from Ireland, where I was visiting my husband's family, and his little niece (7, nearly 8) was fascinated by my knitting and begged me to make her 1) a sweater, 2) socks, and 3) felted slippers. I told her I'd do the sweater and possibly the socks for her birthday in September, and *maybe* the slippers for Christmas but I'd have to see how it went. She seemed content with that. I was, quite honestly, delighted to get the request and really wished that I had time to hunt down some large needles and wool to teach her the basics as she was totally fascinated.. Sadly, knitting supplies and yarn seem to be scarce as hen's teeth in Ireland.

My own daughter, who just turned 9, has no interest in learning herself and will occasionally put on something I have knit for her, but I suspect she does this just to please me.
Go to Top of Page

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2006 :  06:28:22 AM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message
Knowing that I HAVE to make something adds too much stress, and kinda sucks the fun out of the whole process. And do these people ever mention paying you for what a handknit item is worth? Probably not. And whay do WE feel like the bad guy when we say no?
Go to Top of Page

ghk
Warming Up

79 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2006 :  07:51:43 AM  Show Profile Send ghk a Private Message
I *wish* people would ask me to knit for them, especially family (other than DH) and especially as holiday gifts. I'm looking for a family with a penchant for handknits to adopt me, (sob).

Seriously, every Christmas I have to shop for about a dozen of my in-laws and we end up doing the round robin Christmas gift unwrapping, which goes round several times...so, multiple gifts for each person. I spend an awful lot of time starting around October thinking up and shopping for appropriate, considerate gifts for each person...whereas who couldn't use a handknit scarf, or hat, or wrap?

So I guess there's a bright side for you guys: when people ask you for specific gifts, it saves you a lot of time and energy from trying to think of what it is they could possibly want or use. This year, I'm seriously considering just getting gift certificates for all and sundry. But yeah, I'd rather make handknits for everyone!
Go to Top of Page

Solaris
Permanent Resident

Canada
4159 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2006 :  08:01:00 AM  Show Profile Send Solaris a Private Message
"And do these people ever mention paying you for what a handknit item is worth? Probably not."

Why would they pay for their own Christmas gifts?

I understand that when it comes to requests at any other time of year (not including occasions like birthdays and the like), it would only make sense that you may not want to put in all that work for nothing.

"Knowing that I HAVE to make something adds too much stress, and kinda sucks the fun out of the whole process. (...) And whay do WE feel like the bad guy when we say no?"

I symphatize with you on this one. I had people put the guilt trip on me about many things. However, please remember that you don't HAVE to knit for anyone. Requests are just that - they are not orders - and you are well within your rights to either decline or delay them. And if anyone is putting the guilt trip on you... Well, let them pout 'till the cows come home.

Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2006 :  10:47:06 AM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ghkThis year, I'm seriously considering just getting gift certificates for all and sundry. But yeah, I'd rather make handknits for everyone!

You can do both! Give each person a gift certificate for a hand knitted item from you. Print up a little card with options such as hat, scarf, mittens which they can check off, but make it clear they get only one!

http://www.femiknits.blog-city.com/knitting_for_canadian_troops.htm
http://greenfishoutofwater.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

dnorthcutt
Warming Up

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2006 :  11:21:17 AM  Show Profile Send dnorthcutt a Private Message
I started knitting socks about 3 weeks ago and since I made the 1st pair everyone has asked me for a pair. Even people on the phone that I just mentioned to them I had started something new.

My mother in law saw the first pair I made and said she wanted a pair so I made her a pair and then she saw another pair I made and decided she didnt like the ones I had made her and that she wanted the 2nd ones she saw that I had made for my daughter. I was so mad.

I need to learn to say NO!!!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.47 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.