Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitting Needles and Security
 iPod ?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Terry
Chatty Knitter

113 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2006 :  09:34:55 AM  Show Profile Send Terry a Private Message
So knitting needles are ok but what about iPods? I can’t seem to find the answer. Here is a link to the Transportation Security Administrations’ (tsa) Prohibited Items List (http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1012.shtm). Cell phones and PDA’s are ok but no mention of iPods. My daughter would love to bring her iPod with us but she doesn’t want it confiscated. Anyone know about iPods?

sarakate
Seriously Hooked

USA
818 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2006 :  1:24:30 PM  Show Profile Send sarakate a Private Message
According to the TSA posting on the new restrictions, iPods are specifically still allowed. The latest thing is here.
Go to Top of Page

phlame
Permanent Resident

USA
1562 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2006 :  2:22:10 PM  Show Profile Send phlame a Private Message
i believe iPods fall under electronic devices, don't they?

Shirley Ryan, living in Dana Point, CA

...and dance like no one is watching!
Go to Top of Page

Overcaffeknitted
New Pal

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2006 :  2:31:52 PM  Show Profile Send Overcaffeknitted a Private Message
Cell phones and PDAs on planes must have the wireless networking switched off and/or be switched to "airplane" mode once the doors of the plane are closed. They are supposed to remain that way until the door reopens or the flight attendants okay turning them on. (Usually people only wait till the plane is on the ground and some people have their network on the whole time. Tsk tsk.) Since the iPod's content is self-contained, your daughter should be fine.

Ramona
Go to Top of Page

caeebe
Chatty Knitter

346 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2006 :  6:51:26 PM  Show Profile Send caeebe a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Overcaffeknitted

(Usually people only wait till the plane is on the ground and some people have their network on the whole time. Tsk tsk.) Since the iPod's content is self-contained, your daughter should be fine.

the iPod is fine but it can only be turned on once you are up in the air at cruising altitude. The flight attendents will tell you when to turn them on and also when to turn them off when the plane starts to land. For cell phones the rules are that when taking off the phone should be turned off when the plane doors are closed but can be used upon landing as soon as you get on the ground. The flight attendents usually tell you this too.
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2006 :  05:33:37 AM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message
My understanding that right now, iPods and other similar things are only restricted for the UK/US flights. I'm sure that will change.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

donncoop
Chatty Knitter

111 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2006 :  08:02:07 AM  Show Profile Send donncoop a Private Message
We are flying to Italy on AlItalia. We were told no liquids, no makeup, perscription liquids are ok as long as you are carrying a ticket for the named individual and most importantly no electronice. That includes: computers, psp's, gameboys, ipods and cell phones. My daughter wants to bring an ipod and my son his psp. We are packing everything including my knitting. not taking any chances. Good luck
Donna[:((]
Go to Top of Page

donncoop
Chatty Knitter

111 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2006 :  09:38:23 AM  Show Profile Send donncoop a Private Message
One more thing. Our info came directly from AlItalia. We checked again this morning to see if there were any changes and it still is in effect. I would call your airline directly or check their website to be sure.
safe journey,
Donna
Go to Top of Page

galleylama
Seriously Hooked

753 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2006 :  05:27:28 AM  Show Profile Send galleylama a Private Message
Remember everyone that although the TSA sets the standards for security, which individual airline muct follow, each airline can also impose tougher regulations. For example, if the TSA allows electronics on domestic flights, airline XYZ could say no electronics. The best example is domestically you are allowed by TSA to carry on 1 small carry on bag/suitcase and 1 personal piece like a purse or small briefcase, but the airline could say they were only going to accept the personal hand luggage and not allow the small carry on bag/suitcase. Currently things are very strict LEAVING the UK, but not as strict domestically in the US.

It is easier to be forgiven than to receive permission.
Go to Top of Page

donncoop
Chatty Knitter

111 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2006 :  10:23:24 AM  Show Profile Send donncoop a Private Message
Although AlItalia said no electronics, including I-pods and cell phones, they allowed them on the plane. They even announced the specifics of use on the airplane. Of course we followed the directions we were given BY THE AIRLINE and it was for naught. So who knows what the regs are. The whole situation is out of control.
donna
Go to Top of Page

rebeccaL
Seriously Hooked

721 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2006 :  8:47:37 PM  Show Profile Send rebeccaL a Private Message
Just came back from Iceland to the US during that whole awful scare, and we were allowed 2 iPods. (One mine, one my daughter's)

Rebecca

-------------------------------
Visit my blog at
http://www.spacesheep.com/Fiber/knitblog.html
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.67 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth