Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: An Irish twist on yarn from Black Water Abbey
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitting as Therapy
 Knitting Saves Us From Therapy!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Knitnluv
New Pal

11 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2002 :  1:56:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Knitnluv's Homepage Send Knitnluv a Private Message
As we approach the spring of the year, we are coming into the time when my dear f-i-l died. Each day as I went to the hospital, I took with me a sweater I was knitting. I also knit on it late into the evenings at home. When I wear it, I think of him. What is remarkable is that it is one of the most complicated patterns I have ever knit! It really must have provided an escape! I cannot believe that with all that was happening I was able to execute all those elaborate cables with only a very few mistakes (which are visible only to me). Eliz Z said it best, "Knit on with hope and confidence through all crises of life." Joanne

Go to Top of Page

fufu_gina
New Pal

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2002 :  4:39:40 PM  Show Profile Send fufu_gina a Private Message
knitting is a great therapy. my big problem is that i overeat junkfood when i'm stressed or depressed. i used to smoke or eat, now i'm a non-smoker with an extra 20 lbs. right now i do have an extra amount of stress, and i'm using knitting as my release to keep me away from the cookie jar.

hugs n stuff, gina
Go to Top of Page

Joan Da Silva
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2002 :  7:03:12 PM  Show Profile Send Joan Da Silva a Private Message
The world would be a better place to live if everyone had a hobby that gives as much pleasure and enjoyment as I derive from knitting. I get excited over colors, textures, patterns and get such a sense of satisfaction as I watch the interaction of the yarn and the two needles and the resulting work of art. Walking into a yarn store gives such pleasure, also. I get all excited knowing I may find the pattern or yarn or tool I can't live without. Can't always say what that may be, but I always know it when I see it!

My dad has been battling cancer for some time now, and he is currently in a skilled nursing facility for therapy in order to gain his strength back so we can bring him home. I sit for hours with him clicking away on a beautiful black Merino wool cardigan. He will doze off and then wake up and then doze off, and I can tell from the look in his eyes he loves to see me there with work in hand when he wakes up. Sometimes he feels like talking, and other times he doesn't, but I am there.

I learned how to knit on pencils when I was 10 and have been knitting off and on for 41 years! Now I'm all excited about learning to weave! Love all this fiber art stuff!!!!!!!!

Go to Top of Page

baabbette
New Pal

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2002 :  4:09:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit baabbette's Homepage Send baabbette a Private Message
Besides the wonderful results of a finished knitted project, I have to agree with the theraputic benefits of knitting. And yes, I'm among the many that use it for menopausal therapy. Where would we be without our knitting? Just think if we allowed ourselves to spend as much every month on yarn as some people spend on therapy. We woukd have even MORE stashes of yarn than we already have!

Go to Top of Page

smiceli
New Pal

4 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2002 :  2:58:21 PM  Show Profile Send smiceli a Private Message
I cannot imagine my life without knitting. I'm knitting now for 18 years and have made close to 100 sweaters. I feel knitting adds so much joy to life, choosing that perfect yarn, poring over those knitting magazines, chatting with other knitters at the yarn shop and enjoying the feeling of knitting connectedness (I think I made up the word) when reading everyone's responses on the forums. When I'm tense, knitting is so soothing. And at the same time, you end up with a beautiful garment that would cost an arm and a leg at a little boutique. So I say three cheers for knitting. Hip, hip, hooray!

Go to Top of Page

Chriqs
New Pal

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2002 :  8:39:58 PM  Show Profile Send Chriqs a Private Message
quote:

Look at the supermarket checkout lane thats where I found mine.

Go to Top of Page

knitter2568
Chatty Knitter

Germany
146 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2002 :  01:41:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit knitter2568's Homepage Send knitter2568 a Private Message
Hi all,

haven't quite figured out yet how to post without having to reply to a certain message.
Anyway, I can only second what everyone said about knitting being a therapy. I mainly knit socks, gloves and other smaller items. I always have my basket with yarn and needles close by. I sometimes even knit while I'm cooking .
No matter if I'm bored, angry, depressed - I pick up my knitting and feel better.

Knitter2568
knitter@newsguy.com
Go to Top of Page

Karen
New Pal

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2002 :  07:32:06 AM  Show Profile Send Karen a Private Message
For me, it's the groups I participate in that offers me the most therapy. I belong to two knitting groups. My kids are ages 2 and 4, and I work full time so life moves at breakneck speed. For two hours once a week I get out by myself and hang with the ladies. My dh is very supportive about this. Even he recognizes that it's not really about the knitting!

Both groups are multi-generational and I have found the friendships I've made there an invaluable source of healthy attitudes and advice.

Go to Top of Page

Alissa
Seriously Hooked

USA
632 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2002 :  4:21:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Alissa's Homepage Send Alissa a Private Message
I know what you mean about the knitting groups. I have been a lucky member of the Knaughty Knitters for 12 years now. We are a small group of 7 members now. Some have moved away, others have passed away. I am the only one with small children. It just doesn't matter, we get together to knit and lunch once a week and have a great time! Age does not keep us apart, it brings us together! They have been where I am going and I remind them of the great times they had when they were younger. Some of them are Great Grandmas now.

Heck, we even vacation together! We try to run away from home once a year, I highly suggest it! Who else would understand your need to visit EVERY knit shop along the way? Who else would have thought to bring stitch holders when you forgot? Who else will rip out your mistakes for you? Find some knitting friends today, or make some! If your friends don't knit, convert them! Knitting makes our lives richer.

Happy Knitting,

Alissa
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2002 :  5:06:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
I love each and every one of you, but how I long for non-cyber knitting friends!!! I've tried to convert my friends around here, and while they're willing to accept my gifts, they just won't go in for knitting with me! One of them is dead set on the idea that it's for grannies only, and has told me she refuses to buy me knitting books as gifts!

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
Go to Top of Page

Joan Da Silva
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2002 :  8:31:16 PM  Show Profile Send Joan Da Silva a Private Message
Hey, RoseByAny, I live in Redmond, WA. I know it's a shot in the dark, but are you anywhere near? I can always use another noncyber knitting friend!!!

Go to Top of Page

Karen
New Pal

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2002 :  12:21:05 PM  Show Profile Send Karen a Private Message
Hey RoseByAny,

Try checking your LYS. That's where I found the knitting groups I belong to. Good luck!

Alyssa, we get away each year too. There's a shop in VT, website is www.notjustyarn.com, that puts on a knitters getaway twice a year at Mt. Snow, VT. We go and eat and knit. With my family I only go in the spring, but someday hope to participate in the fall also. We call it "Knitter's Camp"! Ahhhh bliss.

Karen

Go to Top of Page

gaelle
New Pal

Canada
16 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2002 :  1:00:26 PM  Show Profile Send gaelle a Private Message
Back in 1972, a week before Christmas, my marriage broke down and I was left with 2 small boys, no job, and a badly damaged self-esteem, living with my mom who always thought everything was my fault. I knitted a HUGE garter stitch scarf. It didn't require much thought, but it kept my hands and my conscious mind busy, and it helped pass the days when all the businesses were closed for the holidays and I couldn't start job-hunting. All I could do was worry and knit. The knitting calmed me, I found a job in early January and then a better one the following September. Now almost 30 years have passed. I'm still (happily) single, I own my own home, have a very good job and am awaiting the imminent birth of my first grandchild. And I'm still knitting. I sure hope he's a sweater-lover!

Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2002 :  2:39:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
That's sweet Joan, but if you're in Washington state, I couldn't be much further from the OPPOSITE of "just around the corner" - I'm on the eastern shore of DELAWARE!

I hadn't thought to try the Knitty Gritty - it's usually just me and the owner when I go in!

I think I've realized what women do around here if not knit - when I asked for knitting books at the library the other week, it took three librarians to figure out where they kept them, and they only had one book that had one pattern in it - written in the '60's about things a woman could make for her new husband - like a cumberbund for his tux at the wedding, and how she should paint her hope chest. What a disappointment! Then today I was there again (one of the books I checked out was the follow up to "Sadie Shapiro's Knitting Book" - a novel which was just darling) and turned around to see an ENTIRE WALL of quilting books, patterns, and videos. Apparantly I live near quilters, not knitters.

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
Go to Top of Page

Alissa
Seriously Hooked

USA
632 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2002 :  7:38:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Alissa's Homepage Send Alissa a Private Message
When I first moved to Texas in 87' I didnt't know anyone who knitted. So, I took my needles and yarn with me and knitted everywhere I went! Soon enough someone say and said, "Have you been to the yarn shop in XXXXXXXXXXX". Voila! Instant knitters! I still take my knitting with me everywhere. Stick some business cards in your bag from a shop or shops you like and share them with everyone who says "Wow, I envy you! I always wanted to learn." Now they are short one more excuse. (evil grin, my smilies won't work today)

Happy knitting and sharing,

Alissa
Go to Top of Page

Patience
Permanent Resident

USA
1077 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2002 :  11:22:42 AM  Show Profile Send Patience a Private Message
Rose,
I live not all that far from you in Pennsylvania and I would be about 1 hour maybe a dash more from the eastern shore of Delaware! Small world isn't it, and it's such a nice surprise to find out that someone you like so much on this forum lives relatively closeby.

I too have no knitting friends or family and it's a lonely road to hoe. Recently though, I made up my mind to travel to a shop in Kennett Square, PA thats about 30 minutes from me and what a wonderful place it is. The owner, Karen couldn't be nicer or more helpful if she tried and the best part is that she encourages you to sit down and knit (doesn't matter if you bought it from her or not) and chat with one another. So it's a small knitting group and I went there yesterday and had the best 2 hours you could imagine.

Do I sound a little overly excited by this? YES!! The conversation was so interesting, the knitting each of the 4 of us were doing was great to see, and the help offered was nothing short of wonderful. Okay, okay, I'll stop blubbering, but just to make all of you aware I am now in yarn shop heaven.

Regards, A Very Happy Patience
Go to Top of Page

marfa
Permanent Resident

USA
1954 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2002 :  4:32:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit marfa's Homepage Send marfa a Private Message
How do.
Patience, so good to "hear" your enthusiasm!! What's the name of your new (don't you like the sound of that?!) LYS? Good for you for taking the time to venture out & make some new pals! How have you been feeling these days?

Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2002 :  5:01:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
This is cute - one of my listeners - she just turned 13, but calls me all the time to request songs - is having trouble in her Home Economics class. This is a straight A student (who calls to let me know how her grades are - how sweet!) but has "only" and 88% in home ec because the teacher is making them sew ugly banners and it's taking her a long time to do the work. I told her to find out if she could get extra credit, and I'd teach her to knit! What fun!

Go to Top of Page

Patience
Permanent Resident

USA
1077 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2002 :  6:16:41 PM  Show Profile Send Patience a Private Message
Marfa,

How sweet you are to ask and to remember I haven't been up to par. Happy to say though that I started making some changes and it's been about 10 days since I did and I feel so much better already.
1. Stopped taking all HRT and actually feel a tad less warm (not much but a little is better than nothing).
2. Making sure that I drink lots of water each day. I tend to do great in the summer but have to be aware of it in winter.
3. Eating vegetables, which I'm not particularly fond of. I've been eating them raw with a small amount of lite dressing to dip with.
4. Eating more fresh fruits and more lite yogurt for calcium plus taking a calcium supplement (gotta watch those bones, right?

Hope this wasn't more than you wanted to know but I wanted to let you know exactly what some of the changes I've made were. You're so thoughtful to ask and I do appreciate it so very much. What a lovely person you are.

Regards, Patience

P.S. The shops name is The Wool Connection and I'm so glad I did venture out and mingle. It was a fun day!

Edited by - Patience on 02/28/2002 18:19:22
Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2002 :  3:51:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
Don't worry, Amie, I'm GOING to get up to Delaware to meet you! I also have an opportunity for you to come down to wonderful DC - the Second Annual Knit-Out & Crochet, Too! on the grounds of the Washington Monument. I'm co-chair of the publicity committee, so y'all will be hearing lots about it in the future. Date is Sept 22, 2002. HUGSHUGSHUGSHUGS TO YOU !

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?