Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitting as Therapy
 Knitting Saves Us From Therapy!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

TllGrrl
New Pal

34 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2002 :  7:34:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit TllGrrl's Homepage Send TllGrrl a Private Message
Knitting is not only Therapy, it's kept me from killing several bosses over the years.
Recently, due to becoming a temp worker and not having a very stable work situation (steady, yes...stable, no) I'm finding myself knitting more and more. Fortunately I have some commissioned knitting projects to keep my fingers flying and my mind at ease.
When I get home in the evenings, after getting comfy and fed, I crash on the sofa, put my feet up, grab one of my projects and before I know it I'm almost in a Zen state. Even if I do have Xena kicking butt on TV!
My mind is relaxed and feeling the yarn and bamboo needles in my hands is very theraputic and puts my mind at rest.
I even find myself problem-solving so I keep a pad and pen nearby to write down ideas!
Knitting is indeed better than Prozac!
: )

www.fivefoottwelve.com
"Creativity lies at the interface of discipline and chaos."
Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2002 :  10:50:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
Rose, it's possible that your smiley problem has to do with screen resolution. Clara, is there a recommended resolution?

Go to Top of Page

Smock7
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
491 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2002 :  08:19:34 AM  Show Profile Send Smock7 a Private Message
Hi Jessica! To locate a copy of Knit It! You might go back to (or call) Borders and have them ship it to the local store from another store. I've done this with the Borders Store in Norman, Oklahoma to get copies of Burda Magazine. It took about 3 days, but I didn't have to pay any shipping charges! The store here always tries to locate copies of ANYTHING I want. One time when I went in and asked for the Burda Magazine, the "new" girl said if it wasn't on the shelf she couldn't get it and I asked her to locate it at another store and when she did I smiled sweetly and asked her to have it sent to their store (she looked doubtful but asked and within a week it was in my hands!)

Edited by - Smock7 on 02/16/2002 08:20:41
Go to Top of Page

Smock7
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
491 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2002 :  08:28:34 AM  Show Profile Send Smock7 a Private Message
Hey Chris! I definitely know that at my work they don't want me browsing for "personal fun"! I teach at a public school and when I tried to pull up this forum it gave me a page that says it's blocked, 'All pages listed as "Lifestyles and Liesure Activities" are prohibited!' I lost a bid on ebay one time for a knitting kit because I couldn't get in ebay during lunch to bid before the closing! It's not like I'm going to cruise the internet when the students are in the room (I teach first graders ! My wish list definitely includes a laptop computer (that would be compatible with my cell phone) and a digital camera!

Edited by - Smock7 on 02/16/2002 08:30:00
Go to Top of Page

chris
Permanent Resident

USA
2463 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2002 :  11:04:41 AM  Show Profile Send chris a Private Message
Big Brother is alive and well. I'm sure the block is because of what some "lifestyles and leisure activities" are...

I'm the business manager for a Catholic church (Fr. Joe tells people I do everything but administer sacraments!) and occasionally he "catches" me surfing. He "admonished" me about it one day, to which I replied..."Is my work getting done? Is anyone complaining that I've not done something they asked me to do? Am I not always helping others when I have the time? Did I not take the place of three people when I took this job? Now back off!" He laughed then asked me how to find websites about boxing (his current passion --shudder). I'm a very lucky person! [;-)]

crhis (I put my fingers on backwards this morning)

[quote]
Hey Chris! I definitely know that at my work they don't want me browsing for "personal fun"! I teach at a public school and when I tried to pull up this forum it gave me a page that says it's blocked, 'All pages listed as "Lifestyles and Liesure Activities" are prohibited!' I lost a bid on ebay one time for a knitting kit because I couldn't get in ebay during lunch to bid before the closing! It's not like I'm going to cruise the internet when the students are in the room (I teach first graders ! My wish list definitely includes a laptop computer (that would be compatible with my cell phone) and a digital camera!

Edited by - Smock7 on 02/16/2002 08:30:00
[/quote

Keep on knittin', mama, knittin' those blues away!
Go to Top of Page

Patience
Permanent Resident

USA
1080 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2002 :  11:44:18 AM  Show Profile Send Patience a Private Message
Hello Again,

I just had to share this added benefit of my knitting with all of you! I'm going through that "lovely" time in my life known as menopause...UGH...and if it wasn't for my knitting to keep me sane, I don't know what I'd be doing. Between unbelievable hot flashes, skin that is dryer than a desert, and mood swings, it's my knitting that allows me to deal with it all. I just pick up the needles and work on one of my many WIP's or I "organize" my books, yarns, mega patterns, papers and knitting hints, one more time.

Am I all alone on this, or is there anyone else on our forum with any of the same symptoms? I need a pal, or even several, who can understand this so called "great time of life", and I have to wonder who ever said that anyway?

Regards, Patience
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2002 :  2:45:35 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
Patience,
In this day and age there is no reason to put up with all of your symptoms. See a doctor, hon, and take care of yourself.

Fran, former medical professional, now disabled knitter

Go to Top of Page

yarnpeddler
Warming Up

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2002 :  9:14:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit yarnpeddler's Homepage Send yarnpeddler a Private Message
Hi Patience, A few years ago our PBS station showed a series of tapes on women's health by Dr. Christiane Northrup. This is the link to the menopause page of her website. http://www.drnorthrup.com/menopause.htm
She is amazing. I was so impressed I bought the book and the tape. I have two daughters and want them to be prepared. I was lucky in that my menopause symptoms were very mild. But this woman is really good.
What a concept, a doctor and a woman in the same body so somebody finally understands!
Sandy

Go to Top of Page

Alissa
Seriously Hooked

USA
632 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2002 :  9:25:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Alissa's Homepage Send Alissa a Private Message
For those who have a JoAnn's Fabrics near you and are still looking for KnitIt! I saw several copies at their store yesterday. There are still copies to be found in some places, just keep looking!

Happy Knitting,

Alissa
Go to Top of Page

jdroeger
Chatty Knitter

USA
224 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2002 :  08:32:51 AM  Show Profile Send jdroeger a Private Message
Sue and Smock7 - Thanks for the tips on how to get my hands on Knit It magazine. I now have a copy thanks to my mom - I think she felt sorry for me since I wanted it so badly so she gave me her copy! She's working on a bunch of other stuff right now and says she won't get to the knitting for awhile. Thank goodness for moms!

Jessica

Go to Top of Page

chris
Permanent Resident

USA
2463 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2002 :  12:34:53 PM  Show Profile Send chris a Private Message
Hi, Patience! I know what you're talking about! I tried the HRT route for a few months...it was as bad if not worse than the lack o'estrogen route. (I kept telling that kid who says he's a doctor that HRT is just the patricharchal way of keeping women in line. He didn't believe me, so my breasts started acting up big time on the estrogen. Now I'm hot all the time and can't remember anything, but I feel much better! tee hee) The worst part about Cronedom is the stray eyelashes popping up in places they do not belong....I think I'm going to start wearing tweezers on a string around my neck!

On the serious side, I've found I have a HUGE need to create since the mentalpause symptoms have begun. I did some meditating about it one day and came to the conclusion that my body knows it won't be creating any more (Praise God, and I guess it didn't figure that out after the tubal) and it feels a need to create some other how. The way my hands and brain remembered the knitting I learned some 40 years ago has amazed me. The way I'm taking to knitting that I battled with so much 40 years ago is pleasing.

chris (peri-Cronal)

quote:

Hello Again,

I just had to share this added benefit of my knitting with all of you! I'm going through that "lovely" time in my life known as menopause...UGH...and if it wasn't for my knitting to keep me sane, I don't know what I'd be doing. Between unbelievable hot flashes, skin that is dryer than a desert, and mood swings, it's my knitting that allows me to deal with it all. I just pick up the needles and work on one of my many WIP's or I "organize" my books, yarns, mega patterns, papers and knitting hints, one more time.

Am I all alone on this, or is there anyone else on our forum with any of the same symptoms? I need a pal, or even several, who can understand this so called "great time of life", and I have to wonder who ever said that anyway?

Regards, Patience

Keep on knittin', mama, knittin' those blues away!
Go to Top of Page

Patience
Permanent Resident

USA
1080 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2002 :  3:34:05 PM  Show Profile Send Patience a Private Message
Hello,

Fran, I have seen my doctor and we are trying to get me on something that will work for me.......it's just that I'm one of those few who is having a really tough time of it with menopause. I won't stop looking into alternatives and reading whatever I can about it though, until I get some relief, that's for sure.

Chris, I know just what you mean about the creativity. I have been able to understand many more techniques of my knitting that I ever used to. I thank God everyday for it, and the wonderful creativity that knitting gives me.

Sandy, thank you so much for letting me know about this doctor. Surely, a woman can relate to what we're saying and going through much more so than a man.....it's the old saying "you need to walk a mile in my shoes" to know how it feels. I will look into purchasing her book and who knows, maybe I'll wind up deciding to give up HRT completely. So far I can't say it's helped all that much. What is her take on the hormones? I know there are alot of women who really believe in the natural way with vitamin therapy, etc. Anyway, thank you for your help, I do appreciate it so much.

Regards, Patience
Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2002 :  9:26:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
Patience, I'm having the same issues - and I started at the ripe old age of 44! I've been having the big HRT debate with myself for a year now. Debate because I have several equally strong reasons to do it (family heart disease, mother has osteoporosis) and not to (family history of breast cancer, which scares me to death!) I get aboslutely ill when I have a hot flash, and I find (getting back to topic!) that if I'm knitting when they happen, I can't STAND to be touching anything knitted/yarn related. Double UGH!

Go to Top of Page

Patience
Permanent Resident

USA
1080 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2002 :  11:03:08 AM  Show Profile Send Patience a Private Message
Lissa,

I started this at the ripe old age of 44 as well! I've taken the HRT for awhile now without any real relief of the "sweats". So I just talked to my doctor yesterday and found out that the protection of the heart that HRT is supposed to bestow has been refuted now by the latest medical findings. As with anything else, eventually the medical research seems to reverse what was believed true in the first place. Therefore I have made an informed decision to stop taking any hormones and see if my symptoms are any worse or any better. Email me anytime you want to talk further and I'll let you know how it's going and if I find out anything else new. Good luck with whatever you decide.

In the summer time I can't work on anything that is even as large as a sweater. I usually do most of my socks then, and at least that soothes the troubled and very hot spirit!
Regards, Patience
Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2002 :  11:18:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
Thanks for the support, Patience! I also read about the "okay, so it DOESN'T reduce heart disease..." finding. I'm discouraged to know that HRT isn't helping your hot flashes, though - that would be my main reason for doing it. Of course, fear of breast cancer is my main reason for NOT doing it. In the meantime, I'll knit when I'm not flashing, and suffer through the rest.

Go to Top of Page

Chrys
Chatty Knitter

USA
212 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2002 :  08:12:51 AM  Show Profile  Send Chrys a Yahoo! Message Send Chrys a Private Message
Bactracking a little to locating KnitIT , they have it at the Walmart near me, or did a couple of days ago. If anyone is still looking they can try there. I was thrilled to see it, it has projects that even I can figure out the directions to, and in a yarn price range that I do not mind spending on my first grader (you should see what she can do to her clothes

Christy

Go to Top of Page

linda-gail
Permanent Resident

USA
1052 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2002 :  08:20:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit linda-gail's Homepage Send linda-gail a Private Message
The thing I love so much about knitting is that it can flex with your needs. For instance, if I want to do something that absorbs mind and body, I can work on a project that has a more complicated color or stitch pattern, but if I want something to keep my hands busy and let my mind do other things, I can work on a simple hat or scarf. I usually have 4-6 projects going at once, because my mood is not always the same, so I don't always want to knit the same thing. I do have a rule, though, that I can't start a similar skill level project until I've finished the previous one - that way I don't have a closet full of "it's finished except for..." items. Happy knitting, everyone.

Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
Permanent Resident

USA
2310 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2002 :  09:21:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit schoolmama's Homepage Send schoolmama a Private Message
I am finding knitting to be very therapeutic, too. My dh took our oldest son to the hospital several weeks ago for a minor outpatient surgery, and I couldn't make myself do anything except knit! I think I made a whole sock for our granddaughter(ds is her daddy) that morning. As for HRT, I am very skeptical of that. I'm not menopausal yet, but am "pre-" so I have hot flashes some and lots of PMS. A friend recommended a book by Dr. John Lee, "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Pre-Menopause." It deals with the natural ways of helping these problems, and he first wrote one with the same title, minus the "Pre-", which deals more with menopause. I would highly recommend either book, depending on your stage in life, as well as keep up the knitting, since it works! BTW, a non-knitting artist friend asked me the other night "Just how many knitting projects do you have going, anyway?" I just looked at her, gulped, thought a while and finally gave the answer, "um, I'm not sure, several, I think." I was sure she was analyzing how "too busy" I was. She doesn't let her self take time to paint or draw because she is very busy homeschooling and grading papers, and is not interested in knitting. So, she's very seriously stressed a lot of the time. I take a laid-back approach to school, and don't use quite such a demanding curriculum, and, besides, knitting is part of school! GEE, I didn't even know there was that "^" symbol on my keyboard to make that face! Oh, I have that problem with the smilies, too. Bottom of the window is cut off (at home) and the box is greyed out, so I can't enlarge it. Happy Knitting! Barb P.S. For anybody who cares, I got those Irish Dance Dresses done yesterday, AND the second one wasn't near as bad as the first. So, now I can relax and knit for a while!!!

Edited by - schoolmama on 02/22/2002 09:24:17
Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
Permanent Resident

USA
2310 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2002 :  09:31:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit schoolmama's Homepage Send schoolmama a Private Message
Also, my 11 dd has started knitting socks for herself, and is doing really well. She's had a virus the last few days, just sick enough to lay around, so she has worked on her socks. We found a pattern for American Girl Doll socks, and she has some dolls that size, not a Real one yet. She made one of those socks yesterday, and it is SO CUTE!! It's probably the size of a preemie baby sock. It even has gussets! Anyway, it keeps her from moaning and from watching T.V. all day. I think, hope, maybe we'll keep close enough through this to avoid some of the teenage problems!?! She knits little self-designed gifts for her friends, so, I think they won't think she's not "cool" for knitting. One of them is learning to crochet from her, and maybe she'll want to knit later. I told her sometime she should knit a really cool sweater or shell from some very popular yarn, so they will want to do that, too! Barb

Edited by - schoolmama on 02/22/2002 09:33:15
Go to Top of Page

lindajune
New Pal

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2002 :  12:08:13 PM  Show Profile Send lindajune a Private Message
Knitting is therapy. For years I've used knitting to relax. Although I have a friend who gets tense when she knits and het work gets tighter and tighter. Mine, on the other hand gets looser and looser and bigger and bigger. I have to concentrate and keep my stitches tight. And it's physical therapy as well as mental. I was diagnosed with MS two years ago. Knitting gives me a non-tiring activity and it keeps my fingers active. If I go even a couple of days without knitting, my fingers "forget" and get stiff. A benefit, now that I'm retired {it's a hell of a way to retire, but I love not being at work!,is that my knitting has improved! My fabrics are finer, stitches are more even and my socks are coming out beautifully.

re menopause: Have the sufferers tried the wild yam creme? I knew a woman who got hers at a health foods store and just swore by it. It really helped the symptoms.

lindajune

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 2 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.