Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitting as Therapy
 Knitting Saves Us From Therapy!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Patience
Permanent Resident

USA
1080 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2002 :  2:16:06 PM  Show Profile Send Patience a Private Message
I was just thinking that knitting is such a wonderful tool to lessen the stresses of everyday life! With our world in a constant state of alert these days, let alone all the rush, rush, and pressure to "be the best", is it any wonder that depression is on the rise?

I am so happy that I have my knitting to soothe the troubled spirit and to give me a feeling of esteem at the same time.
Isn't it great when you conquer a difficult technique that you just couldn't seem to understand at first? Then we have the bonuses of lovely hand knit items of every description both for ourselves and our loved ones.

As if this isn't enough, now we have this terrific forum with Clara as our fabulous moderator, and each other to chat with, vent with, exchange great information, and help one another in general! Does it get any better than this?

Regards, Patience

Clara
queen bee

USA
4400 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2002 :  3:12:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message
Patience,

You are so right! I think that's why I feel so good when I manage to teach a new person how to knit. I'm giving him or her a priceless coping mechanism that will be there for the rest of their lives. Though thick and thin, it's something you can always turn to and find groundedness, comfort, creative fulfillment, a sense of accomplishment, and connection with other people who feel the same.

I think the coolest part is that you can go anywhere in the world, pull out your knitting, and instantly connect with great people you may otherwise never meet. What's better than that, I say?

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2002 :  3:33:12 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
I'm often asked how I have managed to cope with all these years of illness and poor health, and my answer is simple. I pray, I meditate, and I knit.

Fran

Go to Top of Page

marfa
Permanent Resident

USA
1989 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2002 :  4:33:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit marfa's Homepage Send marfa a Private Message
How do.
Patience, your topic heading is so timely: just yesterday I told someone that I had attended a knitting class (sock workshop) @ my LYS the previous day & I found knitting to be w/in my financial means whereas right now, therapy is a bit beyond my $$ means. Having said that, I can say that I have used work w/a therapist to very good advantage in the past & hope to again someday. For the moment & in the future, knitting will be a part of my life!!!

Go to Top of Page

lakotagal5
Warming Up

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2002 :  5:37:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit lakotagal5's Homepage Send lakotagal5 a Private Message
I don't know what i would have done without my knitting as my dh was going through many several serious back operations and then a blood clot in the leg.I spent much time in waiting rooms and hospital rooms. the knitting was a blessing as it kept me calm and busy.

jeri
Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2002 :  10:25:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
Having been laid off two days before the holidays, just a couple of weeks of $ left, and no prospects in sight, I can calm myself by working on my 5 month-old nephew's ducky sweater and work up a smile at the same time. Of course, my housemate is getting tired of hearing "Rubber ducky, you're the one..." constantly.....

Go to Top of Page

e_looped
Seriously Hooked

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2002 :  10:54:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit e_looped's Homepage Send e_looped a Private Message
I just finished with my beginning class that had been stressing me out, but yesterday I walked out of the store so proud of all of my students. Despite the irritation, I hope that knitting sticks with them and they find peace in it. They all finished their hats and all walked out with them on their heads, even the students that said that they looked silly in hats - looked wonderful in the hats that they had made! I feel like my purpose in my life is to spread the love and joy of knitting. I love this forum where I've met so many of you who also have the same purpose.

erica :)

Life is like knitting sometimes it's smooth, sometimes it's bumpy and sometimes it's the ultimate frustration.
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2002 :  1:51:24 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
Dear Erika,

I know you are not old enough yet to have experienced this, but take joy in everyone you teach. I haven't taught classes (in knitting but have in many other things) but have taught many children the basics of knitting only to see them discard their knitting when the classes were finished. Many years later a lot of them took up the hobby again and became accomplished knitters. That little knowledge stays with them and only needs time to grow. The person least interested in the class may be the greatest designer in a few more years...and all because of what you taught her.

Fran

Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2002 :  3:21:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
I've had a particularly difficult week - filling in for other djs on vacation really messes with my sleep schedule, and I'm not a good sleeper anyway - and yet I'm in a fantastic mood today... when I was trying to explain why to one of my dearest friends, I realized that I had made the time to buy some new needles for my sock endeavor, and I spent a good hour at my LYS today with a BIG project (the nativity scene from yarnforward.com as a gift for my brother when he graduated from Seminary) figuring out which yarns to use... and my yarn arrived for my friends baby blanket... it just doesn't get much better!

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
Go to Top of Page

jdroeger
Chatty Knitter

USA
224 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2002 :  12:03:53 PM  Show Profile Send jdroeger a Private Message
My mom (who is very artistic and craft-y but has never been into knitting) told me that she bought Knit-It magazine yesterday and now wants to start knitting a baby blanket for a woman at her office! She was inspired by my newly ignited passion for knitting - which was inspired in large part by all of you wonderful knitters!

I am insanely jealous of her though because I haven't been able to find Knit It magazine yet. I am planning on going over to Border's this afternoon to see if I can find it!

Anyway - on behalf of me and my mom - thanks for all your inspiration!

Jessica

Go to Top of Page

e_looped
Seriously Hooked

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2002 :  12:21:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit e_looped's Homepage Send e_looped a Private Message
Jessica-
I had a hard time finding Knit-It also. I finally found it tucked in with a bunch of other magazines - InStyle, no less - at the Borders on State Street downtown Chicago. The guy at Barnes & Noble thought I was insane asking about this magazine that wasn't on their list from October when I told him three times that it was a NEW magazine. I don't know what part of NEW he didn't understand. I know that Michael's is supposed to carry it, but when I was there they didn't have it.
Good luck finding it. There are some cute patterns in it.

erica :)

Life is like knitting sometimes it's smooth, sometimes it's bumpy and sometimes it's the ultimate frustration.
Go to Top of Page

chris
Permanent Resident

USA
2463 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2002 :  1:31:39 PM  Show Profile Send chris a Private Message
I had a tough time finding it in Michael's because I only looked in the magazine section in the front of the store. I never went back to where the yarns and stuff are! Silly me! There it was, big as day, on its own rack. Sigh. I found the one I bought at Target. The check out girl said, "Huh. I didn't know we sold knitting magazines!" Betcha she went back and got one!

chris

Keep on knittin', mama, knittin' those blues away!
Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2002 :  3:10:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
I was delighted by the first issue of Knit It, and plan to subscribe, so I never have to search for it again! And, just to make sure the point wasn't missed - you can always substitute any yarn with the same guage - just because KI is published by Lion's doesn't mean you have to use their yarn!

Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4400 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2002 :  3:18:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message
Hi Lissa,

Thanks for pointing that out. I was actually motivated to do the piece on yarn substitutions after I saw this magazine. It's interesting because the magazine is being pitched as an independent pub, like Family Circle Easy Knitting. But it has Lion Brand written all over it, not just in terms of almost every pattern requiring their yarn but also the fact that almost all the ads are from them.

I'm hoping this was a deal the publisher cut so that they could try to gain some of the FCEK marketshare and Lion Brand could get more publicity... and that as more people buy the magazine, they'll have more of a budget to represent other yarn companies.

But as far as the patterns go, I agree with you - it's a fantastic magazine! Very nice.

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

Smock7
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
491 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2002 :  3:37:49 PM  Show Profile Send Smock7 a Private Message
Hi ALL! I too purchased the new Knit It Magazine. It was actually developed co-jointly by Lion Brand and Better Homes and Gargens (?) I read that....probably on the Lion Brand site on the internet....so we'll probably see more issues highlighting Lion Brand Yarn. I really like the patterns and instantly found several that I would like to knit up now. I didn't know we could subscribe to the magazine yet....my issue didn't include anything about buying subscriptions! Don't you JUST love knitting!?!

Go to Top of Page

chris
Permanent Resident

USA
2463 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2002 :  3:58:55 PM  Show Profile Send chris a Private Message
If I remember correctly, and with my Swiss cheese memory that's not likely , there was a blurb in the front of KnitIt from the editor about the fact that it was a trial publication and if there was enough interest, they might go forward with regular publication. So we should each buy two, right?

Apropos of nothing, my smile thing is stuck somehow. I can see that there are more in the box, but I can't scroll down or make the box any bigger to see what else there is. Sigh.

chfis (sorry, I'm not going to bother correcting that.)

Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2002 :  4:24:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
my smile box does that on the computers at work, but not at my home computer... don't know what the problem is - I can just see the tip of the black eye, but nothing lower... don't know why that is...

(btw, I'm quite amused that you didn't want to bother fixing your name, but would take the time to type "sorry I'm not going to bother fixing that") Too cute.

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
Go to Top of Page

jdroeger
Chatty Knitter

USA
224 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2002 :  4:24:49 PM  Show Profile Send jdroeger a Private Message
My mom said she got the magazine at Jewel - she saw it when she was in the line checking out and grabbed it on a lark. As I said before, she was never much of a knitter (she sews, draws, paints, does photography, decoupage - you name it but she doesn't knit or crochet). Anyway, I think Knit It has patterns that aren't intimidating to her so she's itching to try it.

Erica - I'm glad you found it at the State Street Border's - that's where I was planning on stopping on my way home!

Chris - Did you try clicking the "square" in the upper right hand corner of the smilie box to make it bigger (it's the button between the straight line and the X you use to close the box)? That's the only thing that works for me.

Jessica

Go to Top of Page

chris
Permanent Resident

USA
2463 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2002 :  4:46:15 PM  Show Profile Send chris a Private Message
That box is grayed out on my smile thing. Only the "minimize" and "close" are available to me. And like RosebyAny, I can see the whole thing at home, but not at work. Is that like Big Brother saying, Hey, you! You shouldn't be doing this at work anyway!! ???

chris

Go to Top of Page

jdroeger
Chatty Knitter

USA
224 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2002 :  1:23:18 PM  Show Profile Send jdroeger a Private Message
Warning - venting ahead!

I'm sooooo disappointed! I simply cannot find a copy of Knit It magazine in the city of Chicago! DH and I were just at Border's and I searched high and low and they don't seem to have even one copy left. I guess that's good news for the hobby of knitting but bad news for me. Please tell me why there are about 1000 copies of ten different watch collecting magazines and not one copy of the one magazine I want? (pout, whine ) In desperation I tried Walgreens and even the little snack shop in the lobby of my building to no avail. I may just have to borrow my mom's but it's just not the same as having it for my own. (more pouting and whining - oh, I forgot, whining is not allowed in my house, just ask my 4 year old - so I better quit it before I get home!).

Thanks for letting me vent. Hopefully I find it somewhere!

Jessica

Go to Top of Page

suerupp
New Pal

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2002 :  5:21:00 PM  Show Profile Send suerupp a Private Message
The "Knit It!" magazine can be purchased online through www.lionbrand.com. It appears to be a one-time publication. Perhaps, with enough sales and feedback, they will continue the publication. Hope this helps!!

Sue

quote:

Warning - venting ahead!

I'm sooooo disappointed! I simply cannot find a copy of Knit It magazine in the city of Chicago! DH and I were just at Border's and I searched high and low and they don't seem to have even one copy left. I guess that's good news for the hobby of knitting but bad news for me. Please tell me why there are about 1000 copies of ten different watch collecting magazines and not one copy of the one magazine I want? (pout, whine ) In desperation I tried Walgreens and even the little snack shop in the lobby of my building to no avail. I may just have to borrow my mom's but it's just not the same as having it for my own. (more pouting and whining - oh, I forgot, whining is not allowed in my house, just ask my 4 year old - so I better quit it before I get home!).

Thanks for letting me vent. Hopefully I find it somewhere!

Jessica

Sue
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.61 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by