Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitting Needles and Security
 Needles yes, toothpaste no...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

kidknits
Chatty Knitter

USA
295 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2006 :  6:23:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit kidknits's Homepage Send kidknits a Private Message
I flew from Philadelphia to Manchester, NH today and had no problem with knitting needles--had to ditch the toothpaste, perfume, hand cream, hair gel, shampoo, etc.,and had to take off my shoes. I really expected that this would be the time the knitting needles would be taken away, but I went through security twice with no questions about the needles. Interesting day.

http://www.kidknits.biz
http://www.kidknits.etsy.com

kadiddly
Permanent Resident

USA
3076 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2006 :  9:07:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit kadiddly's Homepage  Send kadiddly a Yahoo! Message Send kadiddly a Private Message
That's good to hear. I've got an early morning flight tomorrow. My mom tipped me off to the security regulations - I was so proud of myself that I had been able to pack everything (including the afghan I will finally be able to give my friend) into one suitcase that I have always been able to carry on before, then realized that I would have to check it due to...my deodorant and lip gloss. Dangerous items, those. Anyway, now I face a dilemma - do I pack the afghan and the dress I am going to wear to the wedding in a seperate carry on so I don't risk losing it and then check a half-full suitcase? I'm really nervous about losing checked luggage, as I'm sure the airlines are doing their best, but the more delays there are, the more likely it is that luggage will not make it onto the correct flight at the correct time. The non-wedding clothes and toiletries I am bringing will fit easily into a backpack, but the only bag I have that the afghan will fit into is a larger duffel bag and it seems a little silly to check a backpack and then lug a duffel bag around. I think I might just have my mom pick up deodorant and lip gloss for me when I get there!

"Alright everyone, back to your knitting..."
- Fred or George Weasley, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (movie)
Backstage Stitches
Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2006 :  9:37:27 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
As an old lady who is on the no fly list I can tell you this is a pest. Don't mind that they want to keep us safe but this is just one more reason why I ship my suitcase ahead of time. It usually gets there a couple of days before me. Be that as it may, if gels etc. make bombs and they do no problem with that just as long as I can take my knitting and a book with book weight to entertain myself in flight. If they won't let me do that I shall pick up lots of newspapers to entertain myself en route. Take care. Beverley [:((]

PS: Will the airlines supply us with water or will we all be dried out when we get wherever? I am sure they will check this message.

Bev
Go to Top of Page

Chemcats
Permanent Resident

3337 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2006 :  03:15:01 AM  Show Profile Send Chemcats a Private Message
Bev, this water business got to me. The airlines are cutting back so much on food, snacks, liquids and I understand they are charging for all of the pittance they have. And now you can't carry water on???? I can just see it...$5 for a small water.

This is a health issue! Sure, formula for babies, but water?? I want to be safe, but it bugs the crap out of me that water is not permitted as carry on. And if anyone has been stuck on a plane for over a couple of hours knows what I am talking about.

AND I heard that laptops, iPods and cell phones were not permitted on flights to Britain. This, too will become a problem. Have you seen the way they treat baggage? The airlines will be paying a fortune in new stuff that gets smashed by the handlers.

I believe in safety, but I also believe in common sense.

Meribeth
Go to Top of Page

knittingbuzz
Permanent Resident

USA
1122 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2006 :  04:52:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit knittingbuzz's Homepage Send knittingbuzz a Private Message
New reports that water can be taken on the plane, if its purchased after you go through security.

Krista

"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't .... you are right."
-Henry Ford

2006 FO 18 WIP 4
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2006 :  05:06:48 AM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message
If I was going to a wedding, I would carry on the dress for it. Until yesterday, I would carry on my hairspray and other hair junk because it always seemed to link in the suitcase. I always carry a pair of underclothes in my carry on back so if they lose my luggage, I can at least put on clean underwear. As for not having my ipod, I think that would be hard on a long flight.

Don't get me wrong, I completely understand the need for increased security. I am glad they are going to let you take on water that you purchase after you get thru security. It started out yesterday morning that they were taking that water too as you boarded the plane.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

dancinggirl77
Warming Up

82 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2006 :  05:27:39 AM  Show Profile Send dancinggirl77 a Private Message
I'm going to be making 2 round trip flights within the next 6 weeks and I am NOT happy! Why can't they just watch us drink some of the water before we bring it on? It's summer time and I'm going to be dehydrated. Grrr.....
Go to Top of Page

knottyknitter
Permanent Resident

USA
3702 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2006 :  05:46:37 AM  Show Profile Send knottyknitter a Private Message
Dancinggirl - the containers of liquid that were to be used for the explosives had false bottoms with the dangerous liquid in a seperate chamber below the safe liquid. The terrorists would have easily been able to uncap the bottle and drink some of the safe liquid on top, so unfortunately, your recommendation doesn't work in this case.

My blog at KristiKnits.com
[img]http://www.kristiknits.com/images/KristiKnits_Logo_Green.gif[/img]
Go to Top of Page

fillyjonk
Permanent Resident

1127 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2006 :  06:19:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit fillyjonk's Homepage Send fillyjonk a Private Message
The way the local news was spinning it, you'd think that they only let people get on flights with their wallets, passports...and that's it.

(I guess that's how it ws for flights to and from the UK today).

I'm actually kind of in disbelief that they make people dump water and toothpaste but allow needles on board. (I guess it was the nature of the plot).

you can ask me to pack my knitting in a checked bag and I will comply.
you can ask me not to take sports drinks or perfume on board with me and I may not be totally happy, but I'll comply.

but make me sit on a plane, perhaps for as much as 12 hours, and don't even allow me a book (which is what apparently is happening in the UK)? That's just flat cruel.

I don't think I'll be flying again. At least not until they figure out some system that doesn't involve depriving innocent folks of some of the basic human comforts.

And yeah, the no-water issue gets me too. If the airlines wanted to be really nice - to generate lots of good PR - they would have people at the gates with ice-carts filled with bottles of water to hand out while people were waiting, or to hand to them as they got on the plane. (And they would be FREE.)

(For me, not being allowed to take a book and a magazine would not be a boredom issue - I can deal with boredom - it would be a freaking-out issue. I do not tolerate planes well because I am claustrophobic, and the only way I can fly is to distract myself with a good mystery novel or a good travel book.)

I don't know. I guess I feel like there are so many things to see in the US that are either within an easy-enough car trip, or a train trip, that I just don't need to be flying now.

For me, it has nothing to do with "living in fear." It has everything to do with "it's so unpleasant now that I don't want to do it."
Go to Top of Page

Vanadia
Gabber Extraordinaire

Denmark
511 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2006 :  06:40:23 AM  Show Profile Send Vanadia a Private Message
Kadiddily, Bring the dress, shoes and other stuff for the wedding in a carry-on!
I travelled to Seattle, WA for a wedding two summers ago. Guess what, my bag arrived at 4 pm the next day, two hours after the wedding ceremony...Fortunately, I had the dress and shoes in my carry-on, but spend half the night calling US Airways to track down where the f... suitcase was and half the morning shopping for make-up, nylons and deo. I got $ 50 to get buy necessities...

Oh on the way home from the wedding, I ended up being stuck in Phili for the night, but that's another story.
Go to Top of Page

glccafar
Seriously Hooked

825 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2006 :  07:51:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit glccafar's Homepage Send glccafar a Private Message
Use your carry on bag and buy toothpaste and hair spray when you get there.
Go to Top of Page

SheBer
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
421 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2006 :  12:54:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit SheBer's Homepage Send SheBer a Private Message
Definitely carry on the dress and shoes. I have had luggage show up four days into a vacation before - you don't want that to happen!

I'm not happy that this means no more trips where I can just do carry-on. But I AM glad that they are on top of this situation and that they caught these people before another disaster.

So what about my Starbucks Grande Mocha - do I have to board without that??

Sheri
www.theloopyewe.com
Go to Top of Page

flutebabe
Seriously Hooked

968 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2006 :  3:08:18 PM  Show Profile Send flutebabe a Private Message
No lipstick allowed, either. Be careful what cosmetics you try to bring in your purse.
I'd take a clear plastic ziplock bag with me to stuff items into, then put in my checked luggage at the airport.
In the past, I've mailed stuff home to myself from the airport. I just get one of the "so many pounds of stuff" mailed for some set amount of money. You know, the envelopes??? One of the airports here had a vending machine with postal items that could be filled out/filled up, then put in the mailbox sitting next to the vending machine.
That probably didn't make sense... :( I wouldn't do it for shampoo or such, but I would for expensive cosmetics.
Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2006 :  4:04:35 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Some time back I read that they were removing mail boxes from airports as they posed a problem in that someone could drop in a bomb and detonate it later. Take care. Beverley

Bev
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2006 :  4:16:08 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
I have seen post boxes at some airports, but they were no where near the security area. They also had a very thin slot so as to only accept post cards and thin envelopes. None of them had the green customs stickers either.

http://www.femiknits.blog-city.com/knitting_for_canadian_troops.htm
http://greenfishoutofwater.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

roofth
Seriously Hooked

USA
649 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2006 :  4:34:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit roofth's Homepage  Send roofth a Yahoo! Message Send roofth a Private Message
I recently did an international trip to China via United, and brought my sock project, including my wooden dnps. No problem there. I was plenty occuppied during my +10 hour flight across the Pacific Ocean.

I'm ok with the heavier more recent restrictions about the liquid/gel/paste ban. I usually carry at least a toothbrush and toothpaste on my carry-on (brushing my teeth after an international flight is a habit of mine), but I won't die of despair if I can't have it on with me. I can live with stinky breath. =)

Hubby and I travel regularly, and this whole situation makes things obviously inconvenient and "unpleasant" for many, but I'd rather be inconvenienced and safe. So I'm not complaining.

========================
I've moved!! Ruth's Knits
Go to Top of Page

flutebabe
Seriously Hooked

968 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2006 :  4:40:18 PM  Show Profile Send flutebabe a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by BLN3320

Some time back I read that they were removing mail boxes from airports as they posed a problem in that someone could drop in a bomb and detonate it later. Take care. Beverley

Bev

Oh. Well, DANG. There went THAT solution. (*@*#*(@#(@#

I must have done that well before 2001. OH WELL.

Maybe everyone should just fly naked.
Go to Top of Page

KromGal
Gabber Extraordinaire

594 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2006 :  5:43:22 PM  Show Profile Send KromGal a Private Message
According to an interview on ABC news tonight, apparently even water purchased after going through security is being ditched! As one representative of the pilots' association said, they are targeting the THINGS that are a problem not the PEOPLE. God forbid we should be politically incorrect, though! (Ya don't see too many red-headed Irishmen doing this stuff, at least on planes!). As for the knitting needles, how many terrorist plots have involved little old ladies and their knitting?! Try filling a size one bamboo dpn with explosive...when they figure that out, I'll stop knitting on flights!
Go to Top of Page

bigeyeblue
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
358 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2006 :  6:18:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit bigeyeblue's Homepage Send bigeyeblue a Private Message
FYI ladies, this should give you an exact (or as close as they can get) to what the regulations are: http://www.tsa.gov/press/happenings/threat-change.shtm

Also, think about the flight crews, they are making them check their bags carry-ons, even flight kits of the pilots. THis is unheard of so they really aren't messing around if you are flyling OUT of the UK.

Eleni

http://www.holyknitbatman.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kidknits
Chatty Knitter

USA
295 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2006 :  6:21:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit kidknits's Homepage Send kidknits a Private Message
quote:
Try filling a size one bamboo dpn with explosive...

I was imagining myself standing up mid-flight, stepping across the person in the aisle seat (as of course I got stuck in the middle), wrestling my carry-on out of the overhead bin, and doing......what???? with my circular needles. But in the middle of this reverie the attendant came along with my tiny bag of peanuts and a little cup of water so I had to sit down quickly, the better to enjoy the only liquid I was going to have for the next hour.

http://www.kidknits.biz
http://www.kidknits.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

galleylama
Seriously Hooked

753 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2006 :  6:55:21 PM  Show Profile Send galleylama a Private Message
Gee, you are all making me really look forward to going back to work (I am a
Flight Attendant)after vacation. I for one, am willing to do anything to be safe. My girlfriend was on flight 11 on september 11 - that's something my friends and I will never get over. In my opinion, and I don't mean to sound rude, but- everyone needs to check their attitudes with their luggage these days. I can't tell you how many people have said,"but you don't mean me, I'm not a terrorist, those rules aren't for me". You know what, every person who has ever caused serious trouble on any of my flights during the past 34 years always looked like a nice quiet person when they boarded. It's scary because you really never know what's deep inside someone - their resentments and hatred. I've seen what looked like really nice people do just awful things. And you don't have to be a terrorist to cause life threatening trouble on an aircraft - just mental health issues will easily do it. I just know my last 5 years of my career are not going to be as nice as my first 5 years. It's sad but this world isn't such a nice place alot of the time. Sorry, I'll get off my soap box now.

It is easier to be forgiven than to receive permission.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.58 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?