Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Ideal Knitting Bag
 Handles for bags
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nanaknit
Chatty Knitter

287 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2006 :  7:57:33 PM  Show Profile Send Nanaknit a Private Message
I decided to make my own vintage look knitting bag. I have a Simplicity pattern that calls for two wooden handles with a 3" opening. I haven't been able to find any that size. I've googled purse handles and even tried being more specific, but can't find anything. Does anybody have an idea of where to look

Thanks so much,

Linda

"Honey, a man can't keep his gun in a cookie jar. It just isn't done!" - Janet Evanovich

knittingbaglady
Permanent Resident

USA
1207 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2006 :  8:08:23 PM  Show Profile Send knittingbaglady a Private Message
Try eBay. Type in vintage purse handles. Sometimes the old knitting bags sell for a low price, you could try that too then use the handles.

Good luck!

Martha.

http://www.greenmountainknittingbags.com/
Go to Top of Page

Nanaknit
Chatty Knitter

287 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2006 :  8:09:55 PM  Show Profile Send Nanaknit a Private Message
Thanks, Martha!!

Linda

"Honey, a man can't keep his gun in a cookie jar. It just isn't done!" - Janet Evanovich
Go to Top of Page

SheBer
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
421 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2006 :  8:12:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit SheBer's Homepage Send SheBer a Private Message
Linda - I just bought purse handles at: http://www.yarn-cafe.com/ this past weekend. They had several different options, so maybe they'd have the size and type you're looking for.

Sheri
www.theloopyewe.com
Go to Top of Page

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2006 :  6:21:57 PM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message
I'm planning to make my own bag, too. I saw the bags that sell for well over $100 with the wooden handles and said, "I can do that!" And so I will. The handles will be a bit of a problem...I'll have to draft some, get my husband in a good mood, and have him make me some. As a custom cabinet maker, he has all the tools. Are the handles YOU need some that you could make?
Go to Top of Page

Nanaknit
Chatty Knitter

287 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2006 :  6:32:57 PM  Show Profile Send Nanaknit a Private Message
Hillstreet-

I wish I could, but I can't even figure out how to put the new license plates on my car!! Somebody at work told me about some local flea markets where he has seen old bags with the vintage wooden handles. I think I'll check it out. If the price is reasonable enough, it would be worth buying the bag for the handles as Martha suggested.

If that fails, I may have to PM you about borrowing your husband! Thanks for the idea, I'll also keep my ears open for anyone at work who does a little woodworking on the side.

Linda

Go to Top of Page

petitemorte
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
423 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2006 :  6:11:49 PM  Show Profile Send petitemorte a Private Message
You can always check thrift stores/resale shops/antique shops.
My friend and I both like to find interesting things and yank them apart to make them into something new and improved.

Di,the cross country knitter

http://photobucket.com/albums/f348/switchbladeknitter/
Guy walks into a shrink's office wearing nothing but seran wrap. Shrink looks at him and says "Well I can clearly see yer nuts"
Go to Top of Page

FLknitter
Chatty Knitter

316 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2006 :  12:51:09 PM  Show Profile Send FLknitter a Private Message

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but here's a website with some purse handles:

www.mjtrim.com
Go to Top of Page

Kathleen-NYC
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
444 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2006 :  1:51:46 PM  Show Profile Send Kathleen-NYC a Private Message
Check the www.joann.com website: http://www.joann.com/catalog.jhtml?CATID=114049

They have purse kits and supplies.
Go to Top of Page

Nanaknit
Chatty Knitter

287 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2006 :  3:58:36 PM  Show Profile Send Nanaknit a Private Message
Thanks, I'll check them out!!

[meow]Linda

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.44 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe