Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Completion Issues?
 seams: just not as fun as knitting
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

laparente@yahoo.com
Chatty Knitter

246 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2006 :  3:52:01 PM  Show Profile Send laparente@yahoo.com a Private Message
I'm taking a break right now. I just sewed one side seam, and now I need a break.

This is my first sweater not in-the-round, so I have just completed my very first side seam, and let me tell you, I just don't think it is as much fun as knitting.

I can understand why sweaters don't get finished: seaming is tedious and just not much fun. I have yet to meet the knitter who says, "Oh, but my favorite part of knitting is sewing the pieces together"

Are you out there? Who loves this step?

CardiCorgi
New Pal

41 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2006 :  4:01:50 PM  Show Profile Send CardiCorgi a Private Message
Not me, but there is satisfaction in doing them well and getting to see the finished piece. Then again, I have a friend who refuses to seam anything (she gets others to do it for her) and she is just as pleased with the end result. Maybe seaming would be more fun if we were getting paid to do it!

-Karen

She selects wool and flax and works with eager hands (Prov.31:13)
Go to Top of Page

susiknits
Permanent Resident

USA
1060 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2006 :  4:18:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit susiknits's Homepage  Send susiknits a Yahoo! Message Send susiknits a Private Message
You think you've got it bad? I visited my LYS yesterday and found two grown women sacked out on the floor, valiantly sewing together the pieces for the teddy bear Lady #1 had promised her 8 YO before he returned from camp. (If you're on this forum, honey, let me apologize now, but it was really funny!) She'd stitch and quite literally bee-hotch and stitch some more. I was only sorry I couldn't stay to see the finished project. It looked like it would be cute.
Best part -- another knitter walks in with HER teddy bear project and it was KNITTED ALL IN ONE PIECE!!!! No seaming whatsoever.
Gracious Lady #1 just emitted gentle envy noises, and then and offered her entire bag of fiberfill when she was done (and she was pretty close).

You see -- it could be worse. You could be on deadline for an 8 year old with a three dimensional project!!

-- susi

--That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.
Go to Top of Page

laparente@yahoo.com
Chatty Knitter

246 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2006 :  5:01:35 PM  Show Profile Send laparente@yahoo.com a Private Message
Oh yeah, I know. I picked this sweater out based on it's very few seams: two sides, two shoulder. Very minimal.

Go to Top of Page

kadiddly
Permanent Resident

USA
3076 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2006 :  6:18:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit kadiddly's Homepage  Send kadiddly a Yahoo! Message Send kadiddly a Private Message
I don't mind seaming when the seams are fairly short, but I'm seaming strips together for an afghan right now and am about ready to drill a hole in my head. So boring! I don't get it - I love knitting, and I love sewing, but for some reason sewing knitting together drives me absolutely batty!

"Alright everyone, back to your knitting..."
- Fred or George Weasley, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (movie)
Backstage Stitches
Go to Top of Page

Tricotine
Warming Up

Canada
97 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2006 :  7:45:39 PM  Show Profile Send Tricotine a Private Message
Hi all!

I can so relate!!! I have been knitting for nearly five years now and have yet to make a sweater because I hate sewing so much. Just the thought of it gives me hives. How many more shawls, blankets, dishcloths and socks can I make?

But there is hope yet because just yesterday I was browsing the net and found this:

www.knitsfinished.com

This is a dream come true! I think I'll be starting on my first sweater very soon!

Brigitte
Go to Top of Page

abt1950
Permanent Resident

3019 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2006 :  8:25:59 PM  Show Profile Send abt1950 a Private Message
Seams are a necessary evil, like blocking. I don't mind them that much unless they need some kind of special care to make them less visible. Then I procrastinate.

laparente, congratulations on your almost-finished first sweater. Think of how exciting you'll be to weave in that last piece of yarn and put the sweater on.

kadiddly, I hear you about afghan seams. There are some kinds of afghans I could never make just because of the seaming. It's gotta be knit or crochetted in one piece or I won't even look at it.

Anne

Knit long and prosper
Go to Top of Page

abflab
Warming Up

USA
74 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2006 :  04:17:46 AM  Show Profile Send abflab a Private Message
I wish I liked the seaming. There is a poor baby belonging to a friend of mine who might outgrow this sweater that I have already made. Not really; knowing myself, I made it to fit a 2-year-old! It is my first completed baby sweater-minus the seaming-and I am having such trouble. Thankfully, I have already done the shoulders but I just keep screwing up all the other seams and ripping them out. Even the stupid hat that goes with the sweater has a seam!! (It's the Blue Sky Alpacas 3-piece baby set) So, I agree, no, seams are just not as fun as knitting!
Go to Top of Page

dancinggirl77
Warming Up

82 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2006 :  05:31:00 AM  Show Profile Send dancinggirl77 a Private Message
I thought I was the only person who felt that way about seaming. I literally have to talk myself into it like I talk myself into going to the gym. Once I get started it's not that bad but I do have to take breaks after a while. What is up with that???
Go to Top of Page

PBELKNAP
Permanent Resident

USA
1136 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2006 :  05:33:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit PBELKNAP's Homepage Send PBELKNAP a Private Message
I can't stand sewing seams either. At least with crocheting, if you screw up, you can lie and say it's part of the pattern [:00]. With knitting, if you screw up, it just looks BAD. The first two sweaters I did, I didn't realize that you shouldn't make the seams too tight, so the seams look all puckered. Also, I had no idea such a thing as "mattress stitch" existed...Actually, I've been using the mattress stitch to sew together my latest crochet project, and the results have been great!

As far as knitting sweaters goes, my next one is going to be a seamless sweater. I'm going to use "The Sweater Workshop" by Jacqueline Fee as guide.

PAM
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2006 :  05:52:08 AM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message
My mother laughs at my dislike for seaming or sewing. I have knit, crocheted and cross stitched since I was kid. I even know how to sew my own clothes if I wanted to. If I get a hole in my sweater, I take it to mom to fix. I just seamed the corners on my baby blanket and that wasn't to bad since there was only 11 rows and and 4 corners. I'm working on a sweater that will need to be seamed and I'm not looking forward to it.

In fact this weekend I taking a finishing class hoping that maybe with some guidance I will learn to like seaming a little bit more.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

Janknit
Chatty Knitter

324 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2006 :  07:06:07 AM  Show Profile Send Janknit a Private Message
I've always felt the same way. The worst is when it's a pattern that really should have been written to be knit without seams, like a hat or mittens (Rowan is a good example here)!
I just ordered 2 patterns online from Zephyr Style which are knit in one piece in the round, minimal finishing. I know that if I start a sweater that's knit in pieces it'll never get put together (I have a Banff stuffed in a bag somewhere for the last 3 years) so these top down circular patterns are good for me.
Go to Top of Page

2chacha
New Pal

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2006 :  07:18:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit 2chacha's Homepage Send 2chacha a Private Message
I like seaming. I always have fun watching individual pieces go together into the finished project... but no, the seaming isn't as much fun as the knitting. :)

Jen
http://chachaknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

llinn
honorary angel

USA
1650 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2006 :  5:26:01 PM  Show Profile Send llinn a Private Message
For the crocheters on the board, there's a cute way to make a feature out of seams.

Using an appropriate size hook for the yarn used, lay the two pieces to be joined right side up and more or less matching stitches. Bring the working yarn up from underneath, work a slip stitch into the lower edge of the left hand piece. Now move over and work a slip stitch in the lower edge of the right hand piece.

Go back and work a slip stitch just above the first on the edge of the left hand piece. Work back and forth, adjusting the location so that you don't pucker the seam.

It produces a nifty little back and forth edge that looks much like a baby cable. It's really cute on baby stuff and on anything you want to have a decorative seam.

If you don't want to make the seam a design feature. Hold the right sides together, as if doing ordinary sewing. Single crochet through both pieces as close to the edge as you can manage, without leaving any big holeys, but work just a trifle looser than you might ordinarily or use 1 size bigger hook. At the end, gently tug the seam flat as you unfold to the right side. This seam, while not invisible, is not at all obtrusive and has the advantage of being readily removable.

Llinn
Go to Top of Page

virtualpurl
Gabber Extraordinaire

409 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2006 :  06:41:17 AM  Show Profile Send virtualpurl a Private Message
I'm also facing (and dreading) sewing together strips of an afghan. For this one, you're supposed to pick up and knit stitches along the long sides, then bind off, and sew together. (The borders are a design feature.)

I was wondering -- if I kept the border stitches live, could I kitchener them instead or use 3-needle bindoff? Or could I use Llinn's single crochet technique on a knitted border? I'd really like to avoid sewing.
Go to Top of Page

llinn
honorary angel

USA
1650 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2006 :  4:12:35 PM  Show Profile Send llinn a Private Message
Wait until I get my turban on straight. Ooh, man, my Barbara Eden costume got tight.

Ahem, Bim Saladin, Alacadabra Alacazam
The yarn is there for your command.

(Jeez, somedays I'm just too cute for words)

Seriously folks, virtualpurl, you can do whatever you want. You can pick up, knit the stitches, leave them live and kitchener your little heart out. You can knit or crochet a border and use my slip stitch attachment (which I reaally, really like on afghans). Or you could fo s 3 needle bind off on each one. It all depends on how you want it to look.
The slip stitch method will stand up and add texture. Binding off from the right side will leave a small texture that leans to one side. Binding off from the wrong side will leave a small negative texture that will mostly disappear visually.

AAll you have to do is decide which look appeals to you most.

Llinn
Go to Top of Page

MissMarple
Chatty Knitter

110 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2006 :  09:11:07 AM  Show Profile Send MissMarple a Private Message
I dread seaming because I'm afraid it will look bad. Nothing can ruin the look of good knitting like bad seaming!

Pam, I've used The Sweater Workshop for a couple of pull-overs and a cardigan and really like it.
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2006 :  09:24:23 AM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message
Thanks Llinn for the crochet technique.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

millsgrad
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  10:42:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit millsgrad's Homepage Send millsgrad a Private Message
okay, why does it seem like the seaming takes longer than the actual knitting? That's what I'm wondering!

rhoda

Come see my blog!
http://g-girl-knittingadventures.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Kathleen-NYC
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
444 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  11:04:45 AM  Show Profile Send Kathleen-NYC a Private Message
Seaming doesn't bother me at all. When I get to that point - it means I'm almost done!

I'm just finishing a sweater that is comprised of 15 panels and two sleeves. Each panel is edged with single crochet and they are then sewn together. (Faith Jacket from Sally Melville's book see here: http://www.lalanawools.com/PatternBk/SallyMelville/FaithJacket.html)

Great jacket. This is the second one I've made.

Go to Top of Page

abt1950
Permanent Resident

3019 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  9:19:49 PM  Show Profile Send abt1950 a Private Message
Am I the one that said earlier in this thread that I didn't mind doing seams?

Can I retract that statement? For years I've seamed my sweaters like I would if I was sewing fabric. Put right sides together, pin, and do a seam. Nobody told me there were any better ways that might make the sweater look more professional.

Well, after perusing Nacie Wiseman's Book of Finishing Techniques, I have seen the light! Weaving is the way to go! Not that it's difficult--it's easier than Kitchener, but it's a lot slower than the way I used to do it. Weaving looks better than just sewing a seam, but it a lesson in delayed gratification.

2 shoulder seams and 1 1/2 sleeve caps down, 1/2 sleeve cap and two side seams to go...arghhhh

Anne

Knit long and prosper
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.77 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by