Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Yearly Expense of Knitting
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2003 :  10:43:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
That is an amazing story, M.Shawn. Imagine a store losing a customer over a $5 pair of knitting needles. If these LYS were smart, they would give everyone browsing in their stores a free pair of needles. Imagine the yarn sales they would rack up immediately and all the new customers they would create! Too many of the LYS are run very unprofessionally and the ones that are professional are so cold. I love eBay and Amazon but what if I were a new knitter and needed professional guidance in yarn and pattern selection or help with knitting?
Go to Top of Page

Beckyh
Gabber Extraordinaire

471 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2003 :  1:06:49 PM  Show Profile Send Beckyh a Private Message
I think I spend about $120 per year. I tend to make things with less expensive yarn, and I'm cheap so I only buy yarn when I am ready to start a project. No stash. Am I unusual or in the silent minority?

Becky

Go to Top of Page

Beckyh
Gabber Extraordinaire

471 Posts

I think I spend about $120 per year. I tend to make things with less expensive yarn, and I'm cheap so I only buy yarn when I am ready to start a project. No stash. Am I unusual or in the silent minority?

Becky

Go to Top of Page

Beckyh
Gabber Extraordinaire

471 Posts

Becky

Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4395 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2003 :  2:41:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message
Do I really want to know? My current spending could be considered "start-up" because I've been away from knitting for several years, so I can see having to buy more than I would if I were at a "maintenance" level (good rationalizing, eh?). I have a small stash, and almost all of it is attached to a project. I did drop some big bucks on yarn for a special gift for my niece, and I've purchased a good number of needles and books, though. However: It's been so long since I've used any of my hard-earned money on something that makes me happy, I consider every penny well-spent! This is an interesting topic!

Jane
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4395 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2003 :  2:41:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message
Do I really want to know? My current spending could be considered "start-up" because I've been away from knitting for several years, so I can see having to buy more than I would if I were at a "maintenance" level (good rationalizing, eh?). I have a small stash, and almost all of it is attached to a project. I did drop some big bucks on yarn for a special gift for my niece, and I've purchased a good number of needles and books, though. However: It's been so long since I've used any of my hard-earned money on something that makes me happy, I consider every penny well-spent! This is an interesting topic!

Jane
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4395 Posts

Jane
Go to Top of Page

earthcore
Chatty Knitter

USA
139 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2003 :  4:50:56 PM  Show Profile Send earthcore a Private Message
For me, it varies. When I was in seminary, I spent maybe $20 a month. In 2002 I spent about $100 a month. But now that I have built up quite a stash, I find that I don't buy as much yarn. I used to go to the monthly yarn group at a LYS and being around other knitters making wonderful things always inspired me to buy more yarn. Now I can't go to the group b/c of my work schedule and I find I don't spend as much. I spend maybe $50 a month now. Maybe less.

Go to Top of Page

earthcore
Chatty Knitter

USA
139 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2003 :  4:50:56 PM  Show Profile Send earthcore a Private Message
For me, it varies. When I was in seminary, I spent maybe $20 a month. In 2002 I spent about $100 a month. But now that I have built up quite a stash, I find that I don't buy as much yarn. I used to go to the monthly yarn group at a LYS and being around other knitters making wonderful things always inspired me to buy more yarn. Now I can't go to the group b/c of my work schedule and I find I don't spend as much. I spend maybe $50 a month now. Maybe less.

Go to Top of Page

earthcore
Chatty Knitter

USA
139 Posts

Go to Top of Page

Marg in Mirror
Permanent Resident

Canada
3205 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2003 :  8:38:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Marg in Mirror's Homepage  Send Marg in Mirror a Yahoo! Message Send Marg in Mirror a Private Message
Hmmm...in the past year I've spent perhaps $500-600 CDN on yarn and yarn-related stuff (including the drop spindle and start-up supplies). I have quite a stash that's been around a long time and got some from my mother when she could no longer see to knit...so haven't had to buy a lot, or needles etc. I spend a lot more on quilting!

-- Marg in Calgary

TLWKOTB
Go to Top of Page

Marg in Mirror
Permanent Resident

Canada
3205 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2003 :  8:38:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Marg in Mirror's Homepage  Send Marg in Mirror a Yahoo! Message Send Marg in Mirror a Private Message
Hmmm...in the past year I've spent perhaps $500-600 CDN on yarn and yarn-related stuff (including the drop spindle and start-up supplies). I have quite a stash that's been around a long time and got some from my mother when she could no longer see to knit...so haven't had to buy a lot, or needles etc. I spend a lot more on quilting!

-- Marg in Calgary

TLWKOTB
Go to Top of Page

Marg in Mirror
Permanent Resident

Canada
3205 Posts

-- Marg in Calgary

TLWKOTB
Go to Top of Page

megknits
Sustaining Member

USA
729 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2003 :  9:56:39 PM  Show Profile Send megknits a Private Message
Well, whatever the total is (and I hesitate to add it up) it's gotta be cheaper than weekly psychotherapy sessions to relieve stress

(How's that for rationalization!!)

Meg

"Do not meddle into the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."
Go to Top of Page

megknits
Sustaining Member

USA
729 Posts

Well, whatever the total is (and I hesitate to add it up) it's gotta be cheaper than weekly psychotherapy sessions to relieve stress

Meg

"Do not meddle into the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."
Go to Top of Page

megknits
Sustaining Member

USA
729 Posts

Meg

Go to Top of Page

Milinda
Permanent Resident

USA
3817 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2003 :  10:21:43 PM  Show Profile Send Milinda a Private Message
quote:

Meg, I would not call that rationalization, instead, a keen observation and a valid statement. I agree with you!

M L
Go to Top of Page

Milinda
Permanent Resident

USA
3817 Posts

quote:

Meg, I would not call that rationalization, instead, a keen observation and a valid statement. I agree with you!

M L
Go to Top of Page

Milinda
Permanent Resident

USA
3817 Posts

quote:

M L
Go to Top of Page

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2003 :  03:31:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
I don't think I really want to know. I did an inventory without prices in January and I can still feel the bloat of knowing how many sweaters I could make out of what is stored in the den. I can go along for a month or so, buying nothing at all, but then suddenly it's Md. Sheep and Wool, where expenditures in the hundreds occur, or Montpelier fiber festival or in an idle moment I cruise E-bay and suddenly I feel the hand reaching for the wallet.

Let us just say that I am not in debt yet.

Bess
http://likethequeen.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.19 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by