Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Yearly Expense of Knitting
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

happyneedles
Seriously Hooked

USA
849 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2003 :  06:16:49 AM  Show Profile Send happyneedles a Private Message
All of this talk no knitting for one month started me thinking about how much I spend per year on my knitting. I figure roughly that it comes to about 1200 a year. What about you? How much do you spend a
year on knitting?

Licensed2Cook
Permanent Resident

USA
3554 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2003 :  07:10:49 AM  Show Profile  Send Licensed2Cook a Yahoo! Message Send Licensed2Cook a Private Message
Ooooh... I don't even want to guess. I know there is an easy way for me to find out, through Quicken but I just think I'd cringe if I really knew.

In my case I know that ignorance is bliss.

Dee
Go to Top of Page

Licensed2Cook
Permanent Resident

USA
3554 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2003 :  07:10:49 AM  Show Profile  Send Licensed2Cook a Yahoo! Message Send Licensed2Cook a Private Message
Ooooh... I don't even want to guess. I know there is an easy way for me to find out, through Quicken but I just think I'd cringe if I really knew.

Dee
Go to Top of Page

Licensed2Cook
Permanent Resident

USA
3554 Posts

Dee
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2003 :  08:07:23 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
I don't really spend that much, but I have my children trained to give me yarn as gifts. However, they only buy Red Heart Soft yarn. It is too risky to let them purchase what they want and I don't want all of that poor quality acrylic. This year is an exception because I have made major expenditures in the last month (about $400) replacing needles and buying yarn on Ebay. I just purchased 28 skeins of fascination sock yarn last night for $60. That should last a few years......LOL I also have been getting a lot of cotton blends, silks, and linen yarns. The types of things that my children cannot buy because of their lack of fiber skills.

fran

Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

I don't really spend that much, but I have my children trained to give me yarn as gifts. However, they only buy Red Heart Soft yarn. It is too risky to let them purchase what they want and I don't want all of that poor quality acrylic. This year is an exception because I have made major expenditures in the last month (about $400) replacing needles and buying yarn on Ebay. I just purchased 28 skeins of fascination sock yarn last night for $60. That should last a few years......LOL I also have been getting a lot of cotton blends, silks, and linen yarns. The types of things that my children cannot buy because of their lack of fiber skills.

fran

Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

fran

Go to Top of Page

M. Shawn
Chatty Knitter

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2003 :  09:19:34 AM  Show Profile Send M. Shawn a Private Message
I'm not exactly sure how much I spend in a year and I'm not interested in having a precise figure -- too much guilt. A year ago, when I wrote the letter the LYS explaining why I would never patronize that store again, I tallied up that I had spent over $500.00 in less than five months. Before I joined the NYF1MG, I was spending a minimum of $85.00 a month and usually closer to $150.00. Currently, I am holding at $0.00. Keep your fingers crossed that it lasts!

M. Shawn
Go to Top of Page

M. Shawn
Chatty Knitter

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2003 :  09:19:34 AM  Show Profile Send M. Shawn a Private Message
I'm not exactly sure how much I spend in a year and I'm not interested in having a precise figure -- too much guilt. A year ago, when I wrote the letter the LYS explaining why I would never patronize that store again, I tallied up that I had spent over $500.00 in less than five months. Before I joined the NYF1MG, I was spending a minimum of $85.00 a month and usually closer to $150.00. Currently, I am holding at $0.00. Keep your fingers crossed that it lasts!

M. Shawn
Go to Top of Page

M. Shawn
Chatty Knitter

USA
147 Posts

M. Shawn
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2003 :  10:07:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
What is the letter you are referring to?
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2003 :  10:07:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Go to Top of Page

mtchen
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2003 :  10:18:05 AM  Show Profile Send mtchen a Private Message
Hmm...so the ugliness all comes out!

I figure I spend about $100 a month on yarn stuff...so this means my yearly total is also $1200! Thankfully, the NYF1M group membership has put a stop to that for this year...

Also, I would say in general, I have been a lot better about finding the best possible price for yarn that I am interested in buying. This means I don't frequent some of my LYS anymore, since I've discovered that all the skeins they sell are at least 2 or 3 dollars more than the list price for the yarn. This fact didn't used to concern me, but now I feel it's highway robbery! I guess it's fine if you buy 1 skein of something, but if you buy 10 skeins, then you're paying $20-$30 more than the list price...quite ridiculous...

Go to Top of Page

mtchen
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
564 Posts

I figure I spend about $100 a month on yarn stuff...so this means my yearly total is also $1200! Thankfully, the NYF1M group membership has put a stop to that for this year...

Also, I would say in general, I have been a lot better about finding the best possible price for yarn that I am interested in buying. This means I don't frequent some of my LYS anymore, since I've discovered that all the skeins they sell are at least 2 or 3 dollars more than the list price for the yarn. This fact didn't used to concern me, but now I feel it's highway robbery! I guess it's fine if you buy 1 skein of something, but if you buy 10 skeins, then you're paying $20-$30 more than the list price...quite ridiculous...

Go to Top of Page

mtchen
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
564 Posts

Go to Top of Page

M. Shawn
Chatty Knitter

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2003 :  10:21:21 AM  Show Profile Send M. Shawn a Private Message
GFTC -- I wrote a letter to the owner of a yarn store where I had repeatedly received bad customer service culminating in an incident where an employee was beyond rude to me and almost wouldn't correct an error that the store made. She went so far as to hint that she thought I was being dishonest and trying to take advantage of the store. The short story is that I signed up for a class and purchased all of the materials for the class as per the syllabus that I was given. When I showed up for the class, I had all of the wrong materials. Three employees told me that there had been a computer error that caused the problem and that the store would exchange the yarn and needles for the correct materials. The employee in question refused to accept the needles because I didn't have the original plastic package that they came in and ALMOST accused me of lying about where I'd purchased them. Everything finally worked out but the ordeal left a bitter taste in my mouth and I haven't been back since the class ended. Even worse, the store owner never responded to the letter that I wrote.

M. Shawn
Go to Top of Page

M. Shawn
Chatty Knitter

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2003 :  10:21:21 AM  Show Profile Send M. Shawn a Private Message
GFTC -- I wrote a letter to the owner of a yarn store where I had repeatedly received bad customer service culminating in an incident where an employee was beyond rude to me and almost wouldn't correct an error that the store made. She went so far as to hint that she thought I was being dishonest and trying to take advantage of the store. The short story is that I signed up for a class and purchased all of the materials for the class as per the syllabus that I was given. When I showed up for the class, I had all of the wrong materials. Three employees told me that there had been a computer error that caused the problem and that the store would exchange the yarn and needles for the correct materials. The employee in question refused to accept the needles because I didn't have the original plastic package that they came in and ALMOST accused me of lying about where I'd purchased them. Everything finally worked out but the ordeal left a bitter taste in my mouth and I haven't been back since the class ended. Even worse, the store owner never responded to the letter that I wrote.

M. Shawn
Go to Top of Page

M. Shawn
Chatty Knitter

USA
147 Posts

M. Shawn
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2003 :  10:43:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
That is an amazing story, M.Shawn. Imagine a store losing a customer over a $5 pair of knitting needles. If these LYS were smart, they would give everyone browsing in their stores a free pair of needles. Imagine the yarn sales they would rack up immediately and all the new customers they would create! Too many of the LYS are run very unprofessionally and the ones that are professional are so cold. I love eBay and Amazon but what if I were a new knitter and needed professional guidance in yarn and pattern selection or help with knitting?
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2003 :  10:43:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
That is an amazing story, M.Shawn. Imagine a store losing a customer over a $5 pair of knitting needles. If these LYS were smart, they would give everyone browsing in their stores a free pair of needles. Imagine the yarn sales they would rack up immediately and all the new customers they would create! Too many of the LYS are run very unprofessionally and the ones that are professional are so cold. I love eBay and Amazon but what if I were a new knitter and needed professional guidance in yarn and pattern selection or help with knitting?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?