Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Designers Forum
 How to find test knitters?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Phoenix
New Pal

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2006 :  07:59:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Phoenix's Homepage Send Phoenix a Private Message
Where can I find test knitters online? Can you recommend a site or blog or forum where I can find test knitters or knitters for hire?

Thanks!

Phoenix

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2006 :  08:49:26 AM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
I suggest using this forum. You can post what types of paterns or yarns you want tested and howe much you will pay knitters.

http://greenfishoutofwater.blogspot.com
http://www.femiknits.blog-city.com/knitting_for_canadian_troops.htm
Go to Top of Page

Emmeknitz
Chatty Knitter

USA
100 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2006 :  09:37:37 AM  Show Profile  Send Emmeknitz a Yahoo! Message Send Emmeknitz a Private Message
This sounds kind of interesting to me................
Go to Top of Page

blwinteler
Permanent Resident

USA
3145 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2006 :  12:47:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit blwinteler's Homepage  Send blwinteler a Yahoo! Message Send blwinteler a Private Message
I know many people here would be glad to help out.

Take care!
Brandy

My finished projects

[img]http://members.cox.net/blwinteler/th_TeamVegas2.jpg[/img]
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2006 :  1:24:45 PM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message
I'm sure you will find more than even helpers on this site.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

luv2knit944
Permanent Resident

USA
1789 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2006 :  3:19:41 PM  Show Profile Send luv2knit944 a Private Message
I'm in.
Let me know when you're ready.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

Phoenix
New Pal

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2006 :  4:29:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Phoenix's Homepage Send Phoenix a Private Message
Wow, you guys are amazing!

We are such a small company and we couldn't afford to pay test knitters any money. I've heard that beginning designers give patterns to their test knitters instead. Is that right?

I have about ten patterns that need to be tested.

Phoenix
www.phoenixbess.com
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2006 :  4:31:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
I've not heard of it being done for patterns (though it might be) but it's usually done for pay, or for yarn (usually the amount of yarn used in the pattern is given to the knitter after.)

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

beh2g
Chatty Knitter

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2006 :  6:19:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit beh2g's Homepage Send beh2g a Private Message
I too have some patterns needing testing, so this is timely! I know I can't afford to pay, but I thought a yarn swap might be ok. Not sure if this is kosher though, and how can you rely on someone you can never see? I am worried about putting my design and money/yarn into someone's hands and then they disappear! (I know 99% of people are honest. But free yarn makes people do funny things...! )

2006 stats: 10 FO, 4 WIP, 1 UFO
Go to Top of Page

bogiebogie
Permanent Resident

USA
1076 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2006 :  7:05:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit bogiebogie's Homepage Send bogiebogie a Private Message
I've test knit for just the pattern, pattern+yarn, and/or money. My preference is to receive more compensation than just the pattern because of the effort involved (unless it's a pattern that I absolutely positively have to have or if it's similar to a project that I'd be knitting anyway).

When I knit something for myself, I often alter or stray from the pattern to make things easier for me, or for fit, or just because. Following a pattern verbatim takes effort as does providing complete and constructive feedback.

If you're not comfortable with having a stranger test knit, then approach a friend, relative or an acquaintance. Or perhaps someone in a local knitting group or a patron at a local yarn store would be interested.

--JK
http://knitflix.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

midnightskyfibers
Gabber Extraordinaire

579 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2006 :  9:39:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit midnightskyfibers's Homepage Send midnightskyfibers a Private Message
I won't ussually test knit for just the pattern, only in some very rare cases, and in those I was using my handspun for them. It's besst to at least offer the yarn for the pattern, and follow up with a nice thank you note after. Also, are they testing the pattern and sending it to you to finish and block and get pics of? Or will they take the pictures themselves to prove they did it?

I might also ask to see pictures of the work they have done, etc to make sure they can handle the project. If you are concerened about them running off with the yarn, a fairly standard contract might not be a bad idea- just stating terms, time frame, yarn used, nondisclosure, etc etc

(btw, Ill volunteer, contact infor is in my sig)

-----
http://www.midnightskyfibers.com Handspun and handpainted yarns, fibers, and kits. Vegetarian and environmentally friendly!

Go to Top of Page

Tangled Jane
Seriously Hooked

Canada
750 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2006 :  08:00:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tangled Jane's Homepage Send Tangled Jane a Private Message
Jerri Bisel of Metromaples on this site has done some fine work for me. She contacted me here through Knitters Review. You might try her. She has an editor's 'beady' (in a good sense) eye. Jane
Go to Top of Page

AlexH
Chatty Knitter

286 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2006 :  10:39:52 PM  Show Profile Send AlexH a Private Message
I've test knit for several designers and compensation varies. I've been "paid" with patterns and yarn equivalent to what was knit. In some cases, like for complicated lace, or a sweater that's been knit twice to work out the bugs in the pattern, I've gotten more than the yarn equivalent (more like two times the equivalent). I've been offered cash, but sometimes the yarn equivalent is a better deal for both the designer and the knitter (the yarn might have a higher retail value than the cash offered). For shipping items to the designer, I often keep the extra yarn instead of asking for shipping reimbursement (a few bucks worth).

Another nice benefit: I was listed in the acknowledgments of a knitting book by the author, and received a signed copy of the book.

Some designers require confidentiality agreements or contracts, and some do not. I think it's a good idea to have a written agreement.

I'm interested in new projects so keep me in mind. :)

Sandy
http://www.oceanknitter.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Sorka
Gabber Extraordinaire

486 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2006 :  08:15:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sorka's Homepage  Send Sorka a Yahoo! Message Send Sorka a Private Message
I think most smaller companies compensate with the pattern and an equal amount of yarn per the pattern that was test knit. At least that is what I have recieved thus far.. the larger ones pay.
So yarn usually works..

Denise
My blog has moved to KnitChat.com
come on over!
Go to Top of Page

Sorka
Gabber Extraordinaire

486 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2006 :  08:17:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sorka's Homepage  Send Sorka a Yahoo! Message Send Sorka a Private Message
Ps.. looking at your site I might like to knit any patterns you have written.. let me know. I'm wrapping up a test knit for SWTC today,and I have a sample peice for a book proposal to knit before the end of August. But after that I'm free..
Email me!

Denise
My blog has moved to KnitChat.com
come on over!
Go to Top of Page

JoleneM
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2006 :  06:06:26 AM  Show Profile Send JoleneM a Private Message
Hello. I would be interested in testing patterns. I am a pretty quick knitter.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.53 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe