Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Knitter's Review Retreat details and Sheepshow
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitting Celebs, Articles, Jokes, etc.
 Knitting in commercials
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KnitHappens
New Pal

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2006 :  6:07:38 PM  Show Profile Send KnitHappens a Private Message
You know, I get so happy when I see someone knitting on tv. I've seen it on many of the shows my kids watch which is awesome!!

I was watching tv today and a commercial came on for a medicine for rheumatoid arthritis (I can't remember the name of it right now)...anyway, and elderly woman was sitting on a train knitting!

Knittin' Mom to 5
edd 11/29

Sher
Permanent Resident

1292 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2006 :  08:55:04 AM  Show Profile  Send Sher a Yahoo! Message Send Sher a Private Message
I just saw this one too, yesterday, for the first time.
Go to Top of Page

susiknits
Permanent Resident

USA
1060 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2006 :  10:46:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit susiknits's Homepage  Send susiknits a Yahoo! Message Send susiknits a Private Message
The commercial is for Humera, and my attention was caught by the fact that she threw the yarn and THEN STOPPED to say her line. Okay, nice throw, but how many of us stop to tell our kids/SOs/DHs to take out the trash after we throw the yarn and before we complete the stitch?

Just a thought.
Not only that, but with Rheumatoid Arthritis, should she be using circular needles??? Huh???

-- susi

--That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.
Go to Top of Page

ForestBird
Chatty Knitter

USA
265 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2006 :  4:27:00 PM  Show Profile Send ForestBird a Private Message
Er, how do circular needles exacerbate RA any more than any other needles...?

"Art is the imposing of a pattern on experience, and our aesthetic enjoyment is recognition of the pattern."
Alfred North Whitehead, Dialogues (1954)
Go to Top of Page

kaidyd
Chatty Knitter

USA
196 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2006 :  5:04:04 PM  Show Profile Send kaidyd a Private Message
What strikes me each time I've seen the ad is that she must have very long arms to hold her knitting down so low. It seems to me that the way she knits would be a good thing since her arms/wrists are supported on her legs. However, my arms are short---I don't think I could ever knit that way.

Kaidy
Go to Top of Page

SpicyYarn
New Pal

5 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2006 :  5:11:33 PM  Show Profile Send SpicyYarn a Private Message
OK, here's my story...and Susi, I'm stickin' to it, too! There used to be a Northern Bath Tissue commercial that said that Northern was softest because it was quilted. They showed some animated ladies sitting around an enormous sheet of Northern...knitting!!! It drove me crazy! Finally, after a week or two of airtime, Northern fixed the mistake and the ladies were shown quilting around the sheet of tissue! Quilting...knitting, what's the difference, right? To a bunch of ad execs, nothing!
Go to Top of Page

KnitHappens
New Pal

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2006 :  6:29:04 PM  Show Profile Send KnitHappens a Private Message
Spicy..that is hysterical!!

Humera...yes that's the one. I always tell my family "wait until I'm done with my row" LOLOL

Knittin' Mom to 5
edd 11/29
Go to Top of Page

abt1950
Permanent Resident

3019 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2006 :  10:12:25 PM  Show Profile Send abt1950 a Private Message
Spicy, I remember that commercial very well. I don't know how that one got by quality control...

Anne

Knit long and prosper
Go to Top of Page

terigeek
Chatty Knitter

USA
124 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2006 :  11:32:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit terigeek's Homepage Send terigeek a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by SpicyYarn

OK, here's my story...and Susi, I'm stickin' to it, too! There used to be a Northern Bath Tissue commercial that said that Northern was softest because it was quilted. They showed some animated ladies sitting around an enormous sheet of Northern...knitting!!! It drove me crazy! Finally, after a week or two of airtime, Northern fixed the mistake and the ladies were shown quilting around the sheet of tissue! Quilting...knitting, what's the difference, right? To a bunch of ad execs, nothing!

Very true. Back then, I was a cross stitch junkie and it was all over the RCTN boards. (rec.crafts.textiles.needlework) I think it took a few months of letter writing and complaining, but they finally reanimated the cartoon to show them with needles and thread instead of knitting needles. Although one of the ladies still had knitting needles stuck in the her bun hairdo.

And don't even get me started on the idea of the implied message that women's handcrafting is deemed suitable for wiping oneself with...grrrr

Teri
Go to Top of Page

abt1950
Permanent Resident

3019 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2006 :  1:36:57 PM  Show Profile Send abt1950 a Private Message
The one that I really hate is the little old lady teaching crochet commercial. She's crocheting bunny air freshener covers. It's a cable tv commercial, I think, that's intended to show how the advertiser's channels are so much better than the competition. It plays into all the uncool stereotypes and demeans the art of crochet.

Anne

Knit long and prosper
Go to Top of Page

chantalscraftycorner
Warming Up

79 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2006 :  10:17:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit chantalscraftycorner's Homepage Send chantalscraftycorner a Private Message
I haven't seen those on tv yet .. when I do watch tv it's usually on a cartoon channel for my daughter. But I noticed that there are lots of cartoon characters knitting too !

Chantal
www.ChantalsCraftyCorner.com
Go to Top of Page

chantalscraftycorner
Warming Up

79 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2006 :  10:18:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit chantalscraftycorner's Homepage Send chantalscraftycorner a Private Message
I haven't seen those on tv yet .. when I do watch tv it's usually on a cartoon channel for my daughter. But I noticed that there are lots of cartoon characters knitting too !

Chantal
www.ChantalsCraftyCorner.com
Go to Top of Page

Corddrymum
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
519 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2006 :  2:00:40 PM  Show Profile Send Corddrymum a Private Message
Hi Chantal,
When you're listening to the cartoon network, listen for the "voice of the cartoon network" which is my younger son!
Robin
Go to Top of Page

susiknits
Permanent Resident

USA
1060 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2006 :  10:14:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit susiknits's Homepage  Send susiknits a Yahoo! Message Send susiknits a Private Message
I've seen that crochet'ed bunny thing commercial. I just keep thinking it's so stupid, I dont' listen.

-- susi

--That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.49 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe