Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Completion Issues?
 ADD and the 2nd sock!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

adellel
New Pal

5 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2006 :  06:58:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit adellel's Homepage Send adellel a Private Message
I actually have a swap going on for that... if you want to join along:

http://www.girliscrafty.com/archives/000325.html
Go to Top of Page

knitwhich
New Pal

Canada
19 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2006 :  1:59:30 PM  Show Profile Send knitwhich a Private Message
Sorry- but I am new at this and I am soon to attempt the area of "THE SOCK" Can someone explain "ML" which I have seen several times in this exchange. Sorry to butt in.
Go to Top of Page

~Jo~
Chatty Knitter

Canada
160 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2006 :  2:30:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit ~Jo~'s Homepage Send ~Jo~ a Private Message
I suffer from 2nd sock syndrome if I don't cast on the 2nd sock as soon as I cast off or finish the first one. By that, I don't mean wait until the next morning but as soon as the 1st one is done.

Also what I like to do now is to knit the ribbing on the 1st sock, then knit ribbing for the 2nd sock. Knit one leg, then knit the other, do the 1st heel, then the 2nd. That way once you knit the 1st toes, the 2nd toes is never far away. I'm a 4 dpn's sock knitter and so far I can knit a pair in a week.

~Jo~ mom of two
What am I up too now?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2006 :  3:52:53 PM  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
I know what my problem is---I get so excited to finish the first sock that I often to forget to record critical row numbers or changes....so when it comes time for the second (of course after a few days retreat to a new project) I have all but lost my bearings on the changes! (Cut off the toes and make PC mittens, I guess!)
Go to Top of Page

greyhound
New Pal

36 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2006 :  5:03:41 PM  Show Profile Send greyhound a Private Message
Yes, I suffer from the "second sock syndrome" - it does seem to take longer and the sock even looks different - it really starts kicking when the heel is done, but until then it does seem to drag.

Jennifer
Go to Top of Page

libelula
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2006 :  6:13:02 PM  Show Profile Send libelula a Private Message
I love to knit socks and there are so many great patterns out there to try that I usually make my second sock a different pattern using the same yarn. I figure that the socks are for my pleasure and I enjoy looking at two different accomplishments when I am running round in my stocking feet and when my shoes are on it is no one's business but mine. As long as I don't feel a significant difference on my foot when I am wearing the socks (like one is lace and one is ribbed) it works for me.
Go to Top of Page

Dom2
New Pal

10 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2006 :  6:40:04 PM  Show Profile Send Dom2 a Private Message
Libelula - I love the idea of two different socks! Will have to give that a try.

KnitWhich - ML is Magic Loop; a technique to knit socks with a long circular needle. There is a booklet on Magic Loop if you are interested in learning more.

I make as many single socks as I can so by the time I go back to make the mates, it is like knitting a new sock again. I think SSS is caused by boredom: it is exciting to see how the first sock turns out but usually boring to repeat it again.

Dom's Mom
Go to Top of Page

jayklingel@yahoo.com
New Pal

8 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2006 :  03:13:27 AM  Show Profile  Send jayklingel@yahoo.com a Yahoo! Message Send jayklingel@yahoo.com a Private Message
I find it's much easier and faster to finish the second one...you have already worked out all of the "kinks" in the pattern and the finger-cramping contorsions needed to knit socks with double-pointed needles.

My motto to life in general...don't start what you can't finish.
Go to Top of Page

weB2cats
Warming Up

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2006 :  07:00:45 AM  Show Profile  Send weB2cats a Yahoo! Message Send weB2cats a Private Message
Although I cannot fathom anyone walking on hand-knits such as socks and have never made socks, I can speak from the experience of the many sweaters I have knit. I tend to knit both the back and front ribbing at the same time, lay the front piece aside til I've worked out two consequtive reps of the pattern and then bring the front section up to the two rep stage. I alternate off and on til both pieces come up to the armhole section. From there, I work one piece at a time, as the front will have different instructions than the back. When the armholes and necklines are finished, I join the sideseams and shoulders. After that, it's ribbing (generally) around the neckline and armholes (for vest and shells-my favorites). This process guarantees that the project gets DONE! Otherwise, it may end up in the "someday-I'll-get-back-to-it" drawer.[meow]
Go to Top of Page

LaurieAdlerAnderson
New Pal

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2006 :  11:50:14 AM  Show Profile Send LaurieAdlerAnderson a Private Message
Wow. When I started this, I didn't realize how complex an issue it really was. Right now, KS, my sock knitting is my mindless stuff,[crazy] but because I'm doing baby socks to sell, I SHOULD want to finish them, but my mind literally wanders (right out my ears and down the block, sometimes...) Pieheart...I HATE oatmeal, I think my mind is more like a chocolate cavity-maker cake, especially with MY kids[:00]. and weB2cats--I have 4 [meow][meow][meow][meow] who like to mess with the yarn....not the best combination with my ADD. But the good news is I finished the second sock on a long morning trip (my sister drives like a maniac-[:((]-it's good to have knitting!) and now I'm planning a pair (!) of mittens to go with them! Thanks, guys for your insight and brilliance--as usual! [!]

Out of every 10 people polled, 14 prefer chocolate!--Sandra Boynton

Go to Top of Page

SheBer
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
421 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2006 :  12:23:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit SheBer's Homepage Send SheBer a Private Message
Laurie - congratulations on finishing that second sock!! Mittens to match - will you get second mitten syndrome? Or is there no such thing?

I have just one cat, and she prefers to drag around a piece of twine as her favorite toy, so she leaves the yarns alone!

Sheri
www.theloopyewe.com
Go to Top of Page

Nubian knitter
Chatty Knitter

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2006 :  1:16:20 PM  Show Profile Send Nubian knitter a Private Message
It's been a while since I've been here, a little over a year maybe two. Peaceful greatings everyone. I'm a DPN user and like to cast on the next sock immediatly after the first is done, complete atleast the ribbing then declare myself committed to second sock.

I want to try the two sock two circ. needle method but haven't gotten the right length needles for the job. (and I am very slow at SA) I have yet to read the magic loop booklet but imagine ML is some-what tedious?
Go to Top of Page

susansocker
Warming Up

51 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2006 :  4:45:24 PM  Show Profile Send susansocker a Private Message
I just use 2 sets of double pointed needles. One sock is always in what I call the 'mindless' state such as the cuff or foot. The other is in the 'doing the business' state such as turning the heel, shaping the gusset. I always have one in the 'mindless' state for meetings, it keeps me sane.

Susan
Go to Top of Page

KS
Seriously Hooked

862 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2006 :  5:58:08 PM  Show Profile Send KS a Private Message
Laurie, best wishes on your mittens! I've never seen 2nd mitten syndrome discussed. I don't do as well with mittens. Maybe there aren't long enough stretches of mindless knitting.

I have a pair of gloves I kntitted a few years ago from sock yarn. I've got a couple of more balls of the same yarn to make socks. I've got worse than 2nd sock syndrome on them! I haven't even started.

Susan, I'm like you. I've got lots of socks started in different phases so I've got a project that fits whatever knitting conditions I find myself in! It's faster to cast on a new sock for mindlessness than it is to turn the heel on an existing project. Is that rationalization or what?

KS
Go to Top of Page

LaurieAdlerAnderson
New Pal

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2006 :  11:31:38 AM  Show Profile Send LaurieAdlerAnderson a Private Message
Guess what, guys?!! Not only did I finish that second sock, but I made another pair and 1-1/2 mittens already!!! If I have enough yarn, I may even make a tam to go with 'em! Of course, I also started another sweater (for my middle daughter[crazy]) and have another sweater (not love, but friendship [blush]) started too. Oh, for the joy of finished projects, and the agony of the ones that long to be (finished, that is![:00])

Go to Top of Page

millsgrad
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2006 :  1:10:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit millsgrad's Homepage Send millsgrad a Private Message
Well, I'm currently in the midst of second sock syndrome but I blame it on me blazing through the first sock in the pair (I'm using a variegated yarn) and I was so excited seeing the cool stripes and color patterns that were coming up the first time around. Now I know what to expect and I'm not nearly as excited. PLUS, since I blazed through that first sock, I did some damage to my fingers (everyone says I was holding the needles too tightly..maybe!) so I had to take a break. I'll finish it eventually..then think twice about starting another pair of socks! I've looked into the knitting two @ once but I haven't tried it yet.

rhoda

Come see my blog!
http://g-girl-knittingadventures.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

LaurieAdlerAnderson
New Pal

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2006 :  07:03:20 AM  Show Profile Send LaurieAdlerAnderson a Private Message
Guys! The second mitten is done!!! I have a set! It's a good thing that these are 2-year-old's stuff I'm making, otherwise, oh dear! I'm going to AC Moore today and will splurge on a red heart super saver for $1.59 in camouflage colors for boys[:00]--I've been making too much in "girly" kinds of color combinations! Also, my children's foster mother's son (?) has his birthday this Sunday, so maybe I will weave him a birthday scarf for this winter tomorrow--my son LOVES to help me warp, and I can weave faster than I can knit (which will help keep my hands from cramping into talons!)

Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2006 :  08:23:47 AM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message
Congrats on finishing the 2nd mitten.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

KS
Seriously Hooked

862 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2006 :  12:07:05 PM  Show Profile Send KS a Private Message
Congratulations! You're on a roll.

KS
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic