Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Using Needlepoint Charts
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Hello Knitty
Permanent Resident

1069 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2003 :  11:23:00 AM  Show Profile Send Hello Knitty a Private Message
Are needlepoint charts suitable for use as knitting charts? Or is there some sort of adaptation you need to do to use them for knitting? I was looking through a Fassett book on needlepoint and was wondering. Also I'm thinking of ordering the book Here Be Wyverns, a book of charted medieval designs. The book blurb claims the charts are suitable to all sorts of needlework projects. Since I'm only a knitter, I'm wondering. Seems like a great way to get even more designs to knit!

ENugent
Chatty Knitter

120 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2003 :  12:56:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit ENugent's Homepage Send ENugent a Private Message
Since knit stitches are not "square" (your row gauge is generally different from your stitch gauge), most needlepoint patterns look squashed if directly translated to knitting. You can lay knitter's graph paper on top of the pattern and try to adapt it, though.

Go to Top of Page

ENugent
Chatty Knitter

120 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2003 :  12:56:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit ENugent's Homepage Send ENugent a Private Message
Since knit stitches are not "square" (your row gauge is generally different from your stitch gauge), most needlepoint patterns look squashed if directly translated to knitting. You can lay knitter's graph paper on top of the pattern and try to adapt it, though.

Go to Top of Page

ENugent
Chatty Knitter

120 Posts

Go to Top of Page

Summer
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
581 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2003 :  1:05:52 PM  Show Profile Send Summer a Private Message
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but if I remember right needlepoint charts are square. 5 rows x 5 columns, where as knitters graphs are sort of an oblong 5 x 7. I may have the numbers wrong, too lazy to look it up right now To adapt them for knitting, I think you'd have to transfer the chart to knitters graph paper, otherwise the stitches will be distorted.

Hmm, wonder if you could get knitters graph printed on some type of clear sheet, like those report covers or the stuff they use for overhead projectors. Then you could just lay that sheet over whatever design you like and voila! Ooo I'm gonna copyright that idea and make millions of dollars . (In my dreams!)

Jill

Go to Top of Page

Summer
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
581 Posts

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but if I remember right needlepoint charts are square. 5 rows x 5 columns, where as knitters graphs are sort of an oblong 5 x 7. I may have the numbers wrong, too lazy to look it up right now To adapt them for knitting, I think you'd have to transfer the chart to knitters graph paper, otherwise the stitches will be distorted.

Hmm, wonder if you could get knitters graph printed on some type of clear sheet, like those report covers or the stuff they use for overhead projectors. Then you could just lay that sheet over whatever design you like and voila! Ooo I'm gonna copyright that idea and make millions of dollars . (In my dreams!)

Jill

Go to Top of Page

Summer
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
581 Posts

Jill

Go to Top of Page

Hello Knitty
Permanent Resident

1069 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2003 :  10:15:20 AM  Show Profile Send Hello Knitty a Private Message
I got an answer from the bookstore where I'm ordering all the books. Needlepoint charts are square compared to a knitter's chart. You can use a needlepoint chart but you'd have to swatch. If it's a design with a lot of colourwork, the distortion might not be noticeable but if it's one colour work, the design might look funny.

The book I'm ordering is a book of charts for "needlework of all sorts". I'll try using it to see what happens and I figure I can always re-draw a little bit.

Go to Top of Page

Hello Knitty
Permanent Resident

1069 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2003 :  10:15:20 AM  Show Profile Send Hello Knitty a Private Message
I got an answer from the bookstore where I'm ordering all the books. Needlepoint charts are square compared to a knitter's chart. You can use a needlepoint chart but you'd have to swatch. If it's a design with a lot of colourwork, the distortion might not be noticeable but if it's one colour work, the design might look funny.

The book I'm ordering is a book of charts for "needlework of all sorts". I'll try using it to see what happens and I figure I can always re-draw a little bit.

Go to Top of Page

Hello Knitty
Permanent Resident

1069 Posts

Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2003 :  2:46:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
I just found an old book from the 70's called "97 Needlepoint Alphabets". They look like they would work to knit in an initial or monogram on a scarf or sweater. I'm going to find some alphabet charts in knitting books and try to compare. Anything to avoid swatching.

Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2003 :  2:46:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
I just found an old book from the 70's called "97 Needlepoint Alphabets". They look like they would work to knit in an initial or monogram on a scarf or sweater. I'm going to find some alphabet charts in knitting books and try to compare. Anything to avoid swatching.

Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2003 :  6:12:06 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Hi, GFTC: Can you believe I actually have that book and was looking at it just today. You cannot believe the books I have but then I am an old lady who, at some point in time, decided to put the public library out of business. Now on to the subject at hand--while I have never tried to use a needlepoint graph for knitting I don't know why you couldn't. It can't be that difficult to work out. I draw up a lot of needlepoint patterns and I am going to have to figure out or get software to do it on the computer. However, if I do the pattern by hand it seems to improve my eyesight (my opthalmologist told me to keep working my eyes that way they are "a muscle, you know.") At this point I am not getting into my cook book collection. Unreal. Take care. Beverley

"Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live!"

Bev
Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Hi, GFTC: Can you believe I actually have that book and was looking at it just today. You cannot believe the books I have but then I am an old lady who, at some point in time, decided to put the public library out of business. Now on to the subject at hand--while I have never tried to use a needlepoint graph for knitting I don't know why you couldn't. It can't be that difficult to work out. I draw up a lot of needlepoint patterns and I am going to have to figure out or get software to do it on the computer. However, if I do the pattern by hand it seems to improve my eyesight (my opthalmologist told me to keep working my eyes that way they are "a muscle, you know.") At this point I am not getting into my cook book collection. Unreal. Take care. Beverley

Bev
Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Bev
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2003 :  7:56:39 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
Sorry Summer, it has been done and copywrited. At least I know clear sheets with graphs are available for needlepoint and cross stitch. I've never seen them in knitter's graph paper but I don't see why it won't work. In fact, I think I'll get some transparencies and run them through my scanner and printer.

fran

Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Sorry Summer, it has been done and copywrited. At least I know clear sheets with graphs are available for needlepoint and cross stitch. I've never seen them in knitter's graph paper but I don't see why it won't work. In fact, I think I'll get some transparencies and run them through my scanner and printer.

fran

Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

fran

Go to Top of Page

Summer
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
581 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2003 :  8:10:35 PM  Show Profile Send Summer a Private Message
Fran busted my bubble Oh but wait, she's never seen them in knitters graph paper, she's stealing my idea!

Jill

Go to Top of Page

Summer
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
581 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2003 :  8:10:35 PM  Show Profile Send Summer a Private Message
Fran busted my bubble Oh but wait, she's never seen them in knitters graph paper, she's stealing my idea!

Jill

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.69 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.