Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Ideal Knitting Bag
 Picnic Basket
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ozknitter
Permanent Resident

Australia
3291 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2006 :  6:30:13 PM  Show Profile Send ozknitter a Private Message
Hi,

One of my very favourite knitting bags, is a cane picnic basket that I picked up at an op shop for $3, I told the lady to keep all the plastic dishes and such, its got a part on the inside lid where you can slip your pattern into and bags of room for the biggest project and heaps of wool, also its not a traditional picnic basket, it looks like its one more from the 50's, hasn't got two opening lids on the top, just the one and its kind of rounded, if that makes sense.

But I have heaps of other favourites too.

Knit in peace and harmony.

Rose in Melbourne, Australia.

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2006 :  1:41:23 PM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message
What a great idea for a knitting bag. There is a company in the US that sells picnic looking purses in all sorts of sizes. I sure someone where knows what the name is. They look cute but boy are they expensive.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2006 :  1:42:07 PM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message
What a great idea for a knitting bag. There is a company in the US that sells picnic looking purses in all sorts of sizes. I sure someone here knows what the name is. They look cute but boy are they expensive.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

yarnlover
Permanent Resident

1753 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2006 :  1:48:54 PM  Show Profile Send yarnlover a Private Message
Hi Rose,

You beat me by $2 - I recently paid $5 for a picnic basket at a local shop that is part antiques, part flea market. No dishes or any other stuff, just a nice big basket with a cover and a handle. I even used it as a picnic basket a few weeks ago. What a deal

Go to Top of Page

louieknits
Warming Up

64 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2006 :  2:29:39 PM  Show Profile Send louieknits a Private Message
Are you talking about the Longaberger baskets? I really like those; and there are so many different sizes and shapes. I have a small one that I use as a purse and/or knitting basket for small projects.
Go to Top of Page

LilyBeth
Gabber Extraordinaire

378 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2006 :  8:23:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit LilyBeth's Homepage Send LilyBeth a Private Message
I also have a picnic basket I use for knitting. It's not my carry-with-me bag--it's the by-the-sofa container for extra yarn, long term projects, etc. Mine is hardly a Longaberger--I got it at Big Lots! (A closeout, super-bargain store.)
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2006 :  11:11:07 AM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message
I knew someone would know the name. Yeah, Longaberger. I saw a thing about them on Made In America with Cliff (from Cheers aka John Ratzenberger). I was laughing because the company headquarters building looks like a basket. It was cute.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

yarnlover
Permanent Resident

1753 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2006 :  11:27:25 AM  Show Profile Send yarnlover a Private Message
Mine's not a Longaberger either, just an older wicker picnic basket. And, I use it mostly at home to keep a project and my knitting stuff in one place so I can actually find it when I need it. When I go to stay with my mother, it's perfect as everything I really need for an overnight stay with her is handy and ready to go. I only bought this basket because it was so cheap, and in perfect condition.

See My Stuff: Here

Go to Top of Page

ozknitter
Permanent Resident

Australia
3291 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2006 :  11:34:56 PM  Show Profile Send ozknitter a Private Message
Hi Yarnlover,

That's why I bought mine too because it was so cheap and in perfect condition.

At the moment we have hard rubbish and there are cane baskets everywhere, just begging to be taken home, but DH has put his foot down, TV's and Computers are ok, but no more baskets.

I must admit I've got a real thing about handbags and baskets, I've got them in all shapes and sizes.

Knit in peace and harmony.

Rose in Melbourne, Australia.
Go to Top of Page

yarnlover
Permanent Resident

1753 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2006 :  1:00:32 PM  Show Profile Send yarnlover a Private Message
Hi Rose,

I also have a weak streak for baskets, bags, and other nifty containers. I probably have too many, and one of these days when I get organized, I'll weed out those that I don't really need or like so much.

Go to Top of Page

The Purloined Letter
Chatty Knitter

USA
126 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2006 :  07:20:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit The Purloined Letter's Homepage Send The Purloined Letter a Private Message
Is your picnic basket lined? I have a couple of old baskets that I use to hold my knitting, but because the basketry snags the yarn, I wind up putting it in plastic bags before putting it it the basket. Still pretty enough to leave out in the living room, but not as convenient.

How hard is it to put in a lining?

http://thepurloinedletter.blogspot.com
Quoth the Maven, "Knit some more!"
Go to Top of Page

Knitrageous
Permanent Resident

USA
1445 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2006 :  08:00:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Knitrageous's Homepage Send Knitrageous a Private Message
I agree with you Purloined Letter. I tried baskets but they snagged the yarn. I had to be really careful...or use plastic bags. I don't know about lining them. Maybe put in a towel or something not permanent? I don't sew...obviously!

~~~~Jamye

I don't have a problem with authority, I just have a problem with people telling me what to do.
Go to Top of Page

socks4all
Permanent Resident

USA
1461 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2006 :  11:27:19 AM  Show Profile Send socks4all a Private Message
The Longaberger baskets can be purchased with fitted liners. They have ruffled or fitted overhangs. Any knitter with a knack for sewing could make a simple box liner with ties to keep it up. Longaberger also sells the liners separately if you can find one that fits your basket.
Go to Top of Page

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2606 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2006 :  12:10:36 PM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message
Clara (and others) - what was the name of the website that had wicker knitting baskets? It wasn't Longaberger, I don't think. Anybody remember? Of course, I didn't bookmark it.

EDIT: Never mind... I found it:

http://www.peterborobasket.com

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page

yarnlover
Permanent Resident

1753 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2006 :  1:56:40 PM  Show Profile Send yarnlover a Private Message
Mine isn't lined, but the inside is pretty smooth. If I'm knitting, I usually take the knitting out of the basket and have it near my chair and then have a place to put it away (sometimes...) so snagging hasn't been a problem. I guess if I was just opening the basket and knitting with yarn inside, it may be a problem. Then, I'd just put the yarn in a plastic baggie.

If I were to line it, I'd just measure the side, the bottom, the other side and cut one piece of fabric that length and width, with a little extra for a seam allowance. Then measure the front side and back and cut fabric to those measurments. Sew the front and back pieces so the fabric would look like a cross. Then seam up the corner seams, either by machine or hand, then tuck into the basket. I'd probably just use glue to anchor it to the basket, but if you wanted to remove it, then stick velcro pieces with glue around the inside of the basket, and in the corresponding places on the liner. Of course, the edges would be turned under for finishing, etc. This is just a rough idea of what I would do.
Go to Top of Page

busygirl
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
1673 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2006 :  12:07:19 PM  Show Profile Send busygirl a Private Message

I have always loved bags and baskets and over the years have acquired quite a collection,much to the amusement of my husband and two sons!

About two years ago I was looking for a basket large enough to hold all my yarn ( I don't have a huge stash,but usually have enough for 2 to 3 projects),so I went to my local Warehouse and bought a large basket which only cost about $6 - it's a log basket and is just the right size for my modest "stash"!

Leslie

My Pics
http://photos.yahoo.com/abreyleslie
My Blog
http://au.360.yahoo.com/abreyleslie
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.5 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000