Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Worst Project Nightmare
 First sweater
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kade1301
Permanent Resident

France
1438 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2006 :  10:46:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kade1301's Homepage Send Kade1301 a Private Message
"Worst project nightmare" is maybe a bit exaggerated, but I thought this would be the right place to whine a bit:

I'm knitting the "cables, steps and moss" sweater from Jacqueline Fee's Sweater Workshop (great book, and absolutely not to blame for what I've done). I did the body and both sleeves. Everything is working just fine: The handspun yarn knits beautifully (and I seem to have enough of it, if not, I still have fibre and can easily spin more), I changed the sleeves pattern till I really liked it and I thought of matching the directions of the cables on the sleeves to the body, I did (and blocked) the gauge swatch, double-checked my calculations AND tried on the parts every now and then - everything fits. So yesterday I joined up body and sleeves and thought I was nearly finished.

And THEN I saw: Whereas I knitted six rows between purl rows on the body, I only did 4 knit rows between purls on the sleeves! Arrrgh!

I don't believe it - how stupid can I get? And since I really want to show off this sweater, it must be as close to perfect as possible - so I ripped back. Now I've got to go - knitting for the second time sleeve no. 1. Sniff...

Bye, Klara

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2006 :  10:58:52 AM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message
Bummer, If the sleeve length was correct, I probably would have left it. No one would have noticed and if they did, I would have said it was designed that way.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

keena
New Pal

22 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2006 :  10:30:09 AM  Show Profile Send keena a Private Message
I feel your pain. It has been a stressful summer for me, and the stress is reflected in my new, absent-minded approach to knitting. Thanks to many big mistakes, I have set a new record for ripping out major portions of a men's sweater: 6 major rip-outs! On the other hand, it has definitely taught me to be patient, and to try to focus on the process rather than the progress. The sweater is (gradually) looking very good.
Go to Top of Page

ForestBird
Chatty Knitter

USA
265 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2006 :  4:46:21 PM  Show Profile Send ForestBird a Private Message
I just had to rip out a sleeve too - just one for now! But I have ripped out a lot of things...

I keep telling myself how much I am learning. Over and over. Over and over.

"Art is the imposing of a pattern on experience, and our aesthetic enjoyment is recognition of the pattern."
Alfred North Whitehead, Dialogues (1954)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.36 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe