Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Started your holiday projects yet?
 Many WIP's- not good
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

neeneepet@yahoo.com
New Pal

13 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2006 :  06:28:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit neeneepet@yahoo.com's Homepage Send neeneepet@yahoo.com a Private Message
My husband and I will be moving to Italy next year on military duty. It is really important to me to knit all our our friends and family a gift. I have a ridiculous list of gifts to knit and I have cast on for several, bought yarn for several others, and found patterns for more. I have a list going strong. So far I am halfway through the 2nd slipper of the sweet mary janes and that's it. I'm scared. I'm sure to everyone reading this sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. This is how it usually goes for me; it all starts with an innocent "wouldn't it be nice..." I'm already feeling the pressure LOL

lacylaine
Seriously Hooked

USA
989 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2006 :  08:02:36 AM  Show Profile Send lacylaine a Private Message
Okay, stop and take a deep breath. Now another one. You have to be logical about this. An overseas PCS is hard enough on a family. Your friends and family will still love you if you don't finish before leaving. And how about all that lovely yarn you can get in Italy? Perhaps making some of the gifts AFTER you get there would work just as well.

You have to decide what is best for you but remember - you're only human! ;-D Let us know how it goes.

Melanie in Indiana

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might." Ecclesiastes 9:10

2 FOs; I'm on the 3rd, just ordered yarn for another one; only 6-I mean 7-to go!
Go to Top of Page

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2378 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2006 :  12:07:13 PM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message
I was going to suggest the same thing...enjoy the company of your friends NOW and knit for them after you move. If you buy yarn in Italy for the gift, enclose a picture of the shop (or better yet, a picture of you knitting in Italy) with the gift.

azblue
------------------------------------------------------------------
So much to learn, so little time.
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2006 :  12:14:23 PM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message
Enjoy your friends now, knit when you in Italy and bored because you don't have any friends to hang out with. They will appreciate the knits that they receive in the mail. Also decide on smaller projects.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

csutliff
Chatty Knitter

USA
281 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2006 :  11:39:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit csutliff's Homepage Send csutliff a Private Message
You could also use your knitting progress for each person as an email topic making it into a story about their gift from you spending time in Italy and where it (you)have traveled or sat as you knitted etc. Make the Knitted item sound like a third person. Humour is always a good way to feel less homesick too.
Take care and good luck
Ps I have been a Mary Jane Slipper fiend for the past month if you want to check out my website I have been playing with the pattern I got online. 4 pairs aren't pictured as they were snapped up by friends and family before I could photograph the darn critters.
Crystal

"Knitters Irony: Knitting a sheep"
http://www.freewebs.com/csutliff/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.44 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by