Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 short row shapes
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Carol in Maine
Chatty Knitter

208 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2006 :  2:47:49 PM  Show Profile Send Carol in Maine a Private Message
Looking for a recommendation of a book or source of instructions for making projects based on shaping with short rows.
I just finished a simple scarf in variegated sock-weight yarn entirely done in short rows and I loved the look of it. I don't want entrelac, or "domino knitting" (as described in the Vivian Hoxbro book). Both produce great effects, but I'd like to do something which has more of an organic "flow" to the construction and appearance.

Carol in Maine

Knitasha
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
355 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2006 :  7:08:01 PM  Show Profile Send Knitasha a Private Message
Well now......

"Modular Knits" by Iris Schreier contains many intriguing techniques for knits that grow organically (none of the modules need to be sewn together!)and many of them involve short rows. Also check out her tutorials at artyarns.com

"Loop-d-Loop" by Teva Durham uses short rows to shape many of her designs, and there is a nifty corkscrew scarf that's all about short rows.

Go to Top of Page

Carol in Maine
Chatty Knitter

208 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2006 :  09:48:24 AM  Show Profile Send Carol in Maine a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Knitasha

Well now......

"Modular Knits" by Iris Schreier contains many intriguing techniques for knits that grow organically (none of the modules need to be sewn together!)and many of them involve short rows. Also check out her tutorials at artyarns.com

"Loop-d-Loop" by Teva Durham uses short rows to shape many of her designs, and there is a nifty corkscrew scarf that's all about short rows.

Thank you! for these suggestions. I think I've read Iris Schreier's "Dazzling Knits" (or title similar), I'll look for MOdular Knitting and the Teva Durham book (hurray for my local library, they order things from other places). The corkscrew scarf sounds like the "potato chip" scarf that I just knit, although that was all about increases, not short rows. It was fun to knit, even though it's not very functional.

Carol in Maine
Go to Top of Page

technikat
Gabber Extraordinaire

595 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2006 :  12:25:06 PM  Show Profile Send technikat a Private Message
The corkscrew scarf is in "Scarf Style". It is cast on across the width of the scarf and done completely with short rows as opposed to the potato chip scarf which is cast on lengthwise and then increased. It ruffles and corkscrews but is a much softer effect because it doesn't have the hard caston edge running the length of the scarf. I found it to be a fun knit.
Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2006 :  7:11:19 PM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
If you join the yahoo group Multidirectional Knitting you can look at the photos of various projects by the author of Modular Knitting, either from the book other other patterns. Iris is working on another book also.

Anita
My completed projects

and here

Go to Top of Page

craftybernie
Gabber Extraordinaire

United Kingdom
398 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2006 :  9:25:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit craftybernie's Homepage Send craftybernie a Private Message
There's a bag pattern available on MagKnits (called 'Swatch & Block') which is knit using the short row technique. The 'Swatch' part refers to small coin purse and the 'block' refers to the actual bag. Here's the link: http://www.magknits.com/Nov05/swatch.htm

enjoy.

"You're just jealous because the little voices are talking to me!"

www.craftybernie.blogspot.com (my knitting blog)
www.fairystuff.blogspot.com (my handmade flower fairies)
www.knit1blogtoo.blogspot.com (knitting bloggers webring)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.46 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe