Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 fraying question
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kadiddly
Permanent Resident

USA
3076 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2006 :  2:33:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit kadiddly's Homepage  Send kadiddly a Yahoo! Message Send kadiddly a Private Message
I don't have the phobia of LionBrand's Homespun that many knitters have, and am using it to make up a very lovely afghan for a friend's wedding. However, I do have to change colors often for it (every 20 rows) and am concerned about the ends fraying where I have woven them in. I know that there are some products that you can apply to (spray on?) fabric edges to prevent them from fraying so badly. Would these work on the yarn and prevent it from fraying? Would it wash off the first time I washed the afghan? I can't even think of what any of these products are called right now. Or are there any other suggestions to prevent or reduce the fraying? I have also thought of maybe applying a dab of fabric glue to the ends. Would that work or help? I really don't want this whole thing to unravel because of the yarn! I had the Homespun in my stash, and used it to make an afghan for another friend, and now this friend wanted an afghan from the same stuff. I love the colors, and the softness, and the fact that it knits up quickly, but these ends! Can someone help?

"Alright everyone, back to your knitting..."
- Fred or George Weasley, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (movie)
Backstage Stitches

rather be knitting
Seriously Hooked

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2006 :  5:09:26 PM  Show Profile Send rather be knitting a Private Message
Try "Fray Check." It is sold in fabric stores, and even at Walmart. It is used by quilters and seamstresses (i've use it on fabric buttonholes). Use sparingly -- a tiny little dab will do what you want. Larger amounts can stain or make fabric and yarn stiff. I've never had it wash out.
Happy knitting (and end-weaving!) -- claire
Go to Top of Page

azknitter
Honorary Angel

5539 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2006 :  6:37:11 PM  Show Profile Send azknitter a Private Message
I agree....use Fray Check sparingly. It's good stuff and I haven't had problems with it washing out either.

Trish
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2006 :  05:52:47 AM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message
I used Fray Check for years on my cross stitch projects. Be sure to use it sparingly. A little goes a long long way.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

CraftyGrammy
Chatty Knitter

USA
194 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2006 :  06:02:27 AM  Show Profile Send CraftyGrammy a Private Message
I can also suggest that after you fray check the end to pull it all together, tack it down with matching thread..

CraftyGrammy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 2.42 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?