Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 Beading as you go?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

go get your smock
Chatty Knitter

328 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2006 :  2:50:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit go get your smock's Homepage Send go get your smock a Private Message
I am working on a feather 'n' fan lacy scarf with alpaca by Berrocco. Yummy green.

I am adding beads to the knit stitches with the yarn-overs, and I am adding them as I go.

I am using the tiniest crochet known to man and #6 beads, and it is still an arduous process to get the d*** beads over the hook/yarn. I am unable to use almost half my beads. Yes, I should have gone for a larger size, I see now.

Is there any other method to lacing them on as you go that works better than a microscopic crochet hook?

Diane in Chicago

www.feltedhandbagworkshop.com
Home of the Little Coco Bag

truly violet
Permanent Resident

6398 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2006 :  2:53:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit truly violet's Homepage Send truly violet a Private Message
I use a loop of dental floss.....around the yarn....then put through the bead
and yank the yarn through the bead

it is tedious.....

vi

none of this will matter in 100 years.......
except I will finally be at my goal weight...vi
http://notashyviolet.blogspot.com/ ~now with chickens!
Go to Top of Page

Knit kitty
Permanent Resident

USA
1383 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2006 :  4:30:18 PM  Show Profile Send Knit kitty a Private Message
I use the microscopic hook method myself. 5/0 beads work somewhat better than 6/0. (although my DD gets all the beads that don't fit on my hook and makes jewelry out of them, so that's ok too)

~Rebecca

"Nothing, why?"
Go to Top of Page

go get your smock
Chatty Knitter

328 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2006 :  06:08:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit go get your smock's Homepage Send go get your smock a Private Message
Thank you, ladies. I only have mint floss on hand just now . . .

I went for the #6 beads because #5s are not so readily available. Phooey.

Diane in Chicago

Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2006 :  06:12:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
If you thread all the beads on first, it's just a matter of tedium in the beginning, then just slipping the bead to it's place(already on the yarn) when you need it.

You might use a needle threader.

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

Knit kitty
Permanent Resident

USA
1383 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2006 :  06:29:19 AM  Show Profile Send Knit kitty a Private Message
You can find the 5/0 beads at shipwreckbeads.com or many other online bead merchants. Teardrop beads, too, which work well on edges.

I tried the string-first method once, and would rather add as I go than shove 450 beads down the yarn OVER and OVER. I also did not like the added fuzziness it gave the yarn.

To each their own, I guess!

~Rebecca

"Nothing, why?"
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2006 :  06:35:19 AM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message
450 beads, you may need to be committed after you finish it.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

Dances with Needles
Chatty Knitter

197 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2006 :  07:18:47 AM  Show Profile Send Dances with Needles a Private Message
I also use the weeny chrochet hook method, the size of the bead needs to be ok with the size of the yarn, and it takes for bloodyfreakin ever to get them all in place. I find that a high end bead shop is a better bet for the nice beads, but it is also like a lys, you can end up spending a lot of money every time you go in there.

DWN
Go to Top of Page

go get your smock
Chatty Knitter

328 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2006 :  1:42:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit go get your smock's Homepage Send go get your smock a Private Message
Next time I'll get bigger beads, but in the meanwhile the dental floss method is now allowing me to use almost all the #6 beads, which is a relief because I purchased them 800 miles away and can't get more.

With the feather 'n' fan thing, I lace up 6 stitches at a time, and place them back on the left needle, then {k1 yo} them in a batch, and move on. A bit better than lacing up one at a time.

Still arduous, but winter is along way away.

Diane in Chicago

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.58 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by