Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Started your holiday projects yet?
 Hats!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

goldiegirl
Seriously Hooked

611 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2006 :  2:27:22 PM  Show Profile Send goldiegirl a Private Message
I discovered a great book for hat patterns: Hip Knit Hats. There are so many stylish patterns. My mom had asked for a hat as well as my niece. I've got one done and started on my mom's (an entrelac beret). I decided I'm going to make mom a few hats - a little wardrobe of hats to brighten up her winter. Mainly because I had a hard time narrowing it down to just one!

Hats can be very easy or a little challenging, but I am finding most are relatively quick to knit. I am using the softest yarns (a great way to try all those pricey yarns I've been curious about). It is fun and they are a pleasure to knit. I'm going to knit myself a few, too!

KnittAR
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
575 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2006 :  8:48:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit KnittAR's Homepage Send KnittAR a Private Message
Good idea! Lucky you that you have family who appreciate your knitting. I have some who do, but also a couple who don't. They will not be getting handknit gifts from me. The ones who like them, and use them, definately will!

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take....But by the moments that take our breath away."

Later....AR
Come visit my blog
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2006 :  08:17:43 AM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message
Glad you have a few holiday projects done.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

Knitrageous
Permanent Resident

USA
1445 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2006 :  12:57:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Knitrageous's Homepage Send Knitrageous a Private Message
You are so good to have started (and finished) holiday gifts! Hat's are a fun thing, too, for everyone!

BTW...AR...love your quote!

~~~~Jamye

I don't have a problem with authority, I just have a problem with people telling me what to do.
Go to Top of Page

csutliff
Chatty Knitter

USA
281 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2006 :  11:43:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit csutliff's Homepage Send csutliff a Private Message
am waiting for a book to come into my LYS that has a baby hat with the ear flaps knit into it rather than attatched after so I can start some for babies for Christmas. Cannot wait for this pattern.
"Knitters Rule!"
Crystal

"Knitters Irony: Knitting a sheep"
http://www.freewebs.com/csutliff/
Go to Top of Page

Apple Cider
Chatty Knitter

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2006 :  7:22:55 PM  Show Profile Send Apple Cider a Private Message
I've found that knitted hats are ALWAYS appreciated. Not all people like or wear scarves, there are sizing issues with big projects like sweaters, etc. But hats normally fit almost anyone, and they're quick and relatively cheap to make. I often use leftover Manos (I have a LOT of that) and knit in stripes. I just do a basic hat on circulars, and since the holidays are in the winter, the giftees love them.

----------------
~The Other Julie

Curiosity is the very basis of education and if you tell me that curiosity killed the cat, I say only the cat died nobly. - Arnold Edinboroh

My blog: http://needlesandspin.com
Go to Top of Page

Apple Cider
Chatty Knitter

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2006 :  7:38:15 PM  Show Profile Send Apple Cider a Private Message
I've found that knitted hats are ALWAYS appreciated. Not all people like or wear scarves, there are sizing issues with big projects like sweaters, etc. But hats normally fit almost anyone, and they're quick and relatively cheap to make. I often use leftover Manos (I have a LOT of that) and knit in stripes. I just do a basic hat on circulars, and since the holidays are in the winter, the giftees love them.

----------------
~The Other Julie

Curiosity is the very basis of education and if you tell me that curiosity killed the cat, I say only the cat died nobly. - Arnold Edinboroh

My blog: http://needlesandspin.com
Go to Top of Page

Mommy2chipmunk
New Pal

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2006 :  08:26:59 AM  Show Profile Send Mommy2chipmunk a Private Message
I just bought that book as well! As a fairly new knitter, I am excited to try many of the patterns in it...they are so darn cute!
Go to Top of Page

Julie the Purple Chick
Chatty Knitter

166 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2006 :  11:02:20 AM  Show Profile Send Julie the Purple Chick a Private Message
I love knitting hats, too. This year I am donating the hats to a local shelter that helps homeless folks discharged from the hospital. Upon leaving the shelter, they will be given one of my wool hats. I am donating the hats in the name of folks on my Christmas list. They will rec'v a card explaning my donation in their honor. I'm including a tiny swatch of the hat I did on their behalf.

Julie - The Purple Chick
Go to Top of Page

goldiegirl
Seriously Hooked

611 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2006 :  03:59:44 AM  Show Profile Send goldiegirl a Private Message
Julie - that's a great idea! I'm going to find out if there's a similar program in my area. I know several people on my gift list who would love the idea, too.

My gallery
http://www.flickr.com/photos/goldiegirl/
Go to Top of Page

Felted-Bag
Seriously Hooked

640 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2006 :  7:01:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Felted-Bag's Homepage Send Felted-Bag a Private Message
You could also check your area for a daycare for homeless children -- they love hats.

Felted-Bag
www.felted-bags.com www.heritagerecipes.com
webmaster: www.glasspens.com www.the-knittery.com
Go to Top of Page

Heather
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
456 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2006 :  1:13:27 PM  Show Profile Send Heather a Private Message
Julie, that is a fantastic idea. Everyone benefits--and your Christmas list people get to feel like they contributed, too.

An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is an adventure wrongly considered.
-G.K. Chesterton
Go to Top of Page

SurfinSandy
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
473 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2006 :  07:25:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit SurfinSandy's Homepage Send SurfinSandy a Private Message
I love hats!

Surfin'Sandy

How old is 'over-the-hill' and what do you do if you can't hike that far anymore?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.45 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe