Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Designers Forum
 New mother of TWINS?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2006 :  9:23:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message
I've read some of the other posts, but does anyone have any ideas for a new mother of twins? She's being induced Thursday, she's having one boy and one girl. She already has enough hats.

I do not want to do a blanket.

I know, I know, machine washables.

What about CLOTHING ideas?

Specific patterns or yarns probably won't help as I can't get them easily here and would prefer to use local yarn.

What sorts of CLOTHING things are good? I don't mind knitting things for next summer, either, as she got tons of premie and 6 mo, 12 mo clothes. (Mr. Aerospace and I gave her Carharrts and made her cry. We were the only ones to make her cry. YES! We bought her Carharrts for 12 or 18 mos, can't recall since the first several months always seem to be covered...)

Thanks.

Amanda Takes Off... and
Amanda Knits

Only you can decide how tongue in cheek I am.

celia
Permanent Resident

Australia
2454 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2006 :  9:30:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit celia's Homepage Send celia a Private Message
What are Carharrts?

Do you like the pea in a pod pattern from the last IK? It's available free on the website. You can make it in different colours for the boy and girl and make it big enough for winter 07! That way they can wear it throuw Autumn and Winter 07 :)

Celia

Read my blog, or buy my handdyed yarn and handmade stitchmarkers. Also destashing here.
Go to Top of Page

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2006 :  9:33:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message
Carharrts are really well-made work clothes. She and her husband love Carharrts for motorcycling and he also loves them for hunting. We bought overalls for them. Bryon gave us a thumb's up and Claudia just started bawling. It was extra neat because none of the other people at the baby shower had any idea why she was crying over them.

I'll check that one out.

Amanda Takes Off... and
Amanda Knits

Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2006 :  9:34:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
Dale has some of the most adorable children/baby clothes ever designed. Really stunning, classy stuff that's not the typical poofy pastel baby blech.

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

chellethinques
Permanent Resident

USA
1431 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2006 :  07:50:04 AM  Show Profile Send chellethinques a Private Message
The summer IK had some awesome color worked toddler socks - for twins (with a cool mom!) I'd do four different socks in the same really vibrant colors. Make sense? So any of them would match, but be different? OK, maybe FIVE socks, in case one is lost...
Go to Top of Page

probablyjane
Permanent Resident

United Kingdom
1227 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2006 :  08:48:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit probablyjane's Homepage Send probablyjane a Private Message
According to my sister, whose children gamely wear my creations, things to consider are:

Ease of getting on and off. For very little ones, envelope necks are neat and practical.

You can never have too many cardigans - can be opened up the front for cooling down.

Minimum of buttons, avoid fluffy yarns and ties for very little kids - for older ones use fastenings that are big and chunky and fun enough for them to start fastening by themselves.

Avoid bobbles and highly textured patterns especialy for little ones - very uncomfortable to lie or sit in.

A favourite that both my niece and nephew have worn a lot was a cotton intarsia jumper with a boat and 'My dad's boat' embroidered across the front - I've just found a picture of it - the embroidery was RUBBISH but it was personal and made my sister cry...

Knitted leggings are only to be giggled and pointed at in pattern books.

Bright colours - especially lime green and purple - but that's just us - we hate insipid pastels.

Stream of consciousness ends.

Jane

'I am the milkman of human kindness - I will leave an extra pint' Billy Bragg
http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/janelithgow/album
Go to Top of Page

Sketcher
Gabber Extraordinaire

597 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2006 :  08:52:35 AM  Show Profile Send Sketcher a Private Message
Where do they live (climate)? I vote for the larger sizes. Those little tikes usually grow pretty fast. For fun, you could knit some cotton bath puppets.
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2006 :  08:53:33 AM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
Whatever it is, do not make a matching set. Give each child something different, say a kimono jacket sweater for one and a Scandinavian sweater for the other.

http://greenfishoutofwater.blogspot.com
www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2006 :  09:00:01 AM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message
The Carhart clothes for little kids are super cute. Back to knit, I think you shouldn't make anything that matches.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2006 :  09:09:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message
Thanks...I talked to the mother who gave the clear on colors and told me that she liked everything I'd ever made and to just go for it. I hadn't considered textured patterns--thanks for the head's up.

Pants, no, no pants. Ha ha!

And the mother IS cool. Well, she's a cool person. I hope she doesn't get baby-food-mush-brains that some women tend to get and become not-cool. I'll be sad if that happens...

Ahh, the Carharrts sure matched and Mom says she doesn't have too much of a problem with matching things. I was NOT planning on knitting the same sweater/jacket/whatever in two different colors, but I WAS planning on making similar things (i.e. two jackets or two sweaters, not mittens for one and booties for the other).

She lives in Atlanta but her husband's military, so nothing is certain. She specified machine washable, which I was already planning. My only concern is that my drier here doesn't get HOT the way American ones do and I'm afraid of the shrinking factor... Any other way I can make cotton shrink? A hair dryer maybe? I think the other foreign teacher at my school has one.

I think I bought the yarn today. Pictures are on the Amanda Knits site if you want to see the yarn I bought. I have no idea as to the yardage, the label says 100% cotton (if I understood "cotton" correctly in Korean!) and I chose bright colors.

Amanda Takes Off... and
Amanda Knits

Go to Top of Page

kdcrowley
Permanent Resident

USA
4773 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2006 :  10:41:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit kdcrowley's Homepage Send kdcrowley a Private Message
Amanda, shortly after DD was born last year, I knit up a little sweater in Baby Teri, which you won't get in Korea, but it was an easy pattern to do.

It was a very simple knit cardi from bottom up as follows, I am doing this off the top of my head and I am thinking that you can do the math for whatever yarn you use.....cause I know how smart you are.

Knit the bottom of the cardi all in one piece to the underarm, decreasing a bit as you go, then knit the sleeves in the round, again up to the underarm. Then you reserve stitches on both pieces, and add the sleeve stitches to the divided body and knit on for a bit, finally dcreasing all around for the neckline. Then just attach ties to the neck for closing it and graft the underarms. Looking at the cardi now, if you lay it out, the sleeves actually go up at an angle from the body, instead of down, but that is how babies are built anyway.

This cardi turned out to be incredibly useful for DD since it tied on, and there were no buttons to come undone etc. It could very easily be made into a hoodie. As she grew, I just unrolled the sleeves and it became a cropped cardie.

The main thing is that the body should be kind of a-line, cause that's how babies are built, and the arms should be kind of up at an angle....again, cause babies don't really put arms down for a long time.

I could take a pic of it tonight, it's actually sitting out on my sewing table, so I could take a photo and some measurements for you.....I will probably post to the blog and you can look there for it, okay?

Mistress Kelley of the Hellacious Sockknitting

Going to He** for buying sock yarn during Lent, but at least my feet won't be cold.

http://ceallachknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2006 :  3:47:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message
Thanks, Kelley. At what age do babies start to put their arms down? Because I'm still not sure what age I'm aiming for.

Amanda Takes Off... and
Amanda Knits

Go to Top of Page

azknitter
Honorary Angel

5539 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2006 :  4:24:36 PM  Show Profile Send azknitter a Private Message
If you're OK with substitutions...ahem....you could use this pattern for both babies. I like things like this that don't look so utsy wootsy cutesy. KWIM???

http://sasw.blogspot.com/2005/03/baby-cardigan.html

Trish
Go to Top of Page

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2006 :  06:30:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message
Hmm, that one gives me some ideas, Trish.

OK, so a few more questions...

I know I can find some charts online of "typical" baby sizes (they were induced about 3 weeks in advance of their due date but they're both over six lbs, so they probably won't be tooooo preemie) but are there any gold standards any of you use?

The benefit of cardis is that you can open them, but what if I don't want to bother with buttons? Should I just make a sweater then?

I get the point about texture, but I am still thinking of some texture on the backs or fronts of the sweater. Heck, make them have v-necks on both sides and let Mom choose which is the front and back...

Amanda Takes Off... and
Amanda Knits

Go to Top of Page

kdcrowley
Permanent Resident

USA
4773 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2006 :  11:12:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit kdcrowley's Homepage Send kdcrowley a Private Message
Amanda, I put a crocheted tie on both sides of the cardi for DD. That way no buttons, and the ties actually hold better anyway.

I did actually take photos and start to do measurements when DD started to scream....heres' hoping I can post it tonight.

Babies kind of unfold from the cramped in utero fetal position over time....mostly done by 3-4 mos, but still have bow legs etc.

Mistress Kelley of the Hellacious Sockknitting

Going to He** for buying sock yarn during Lent, but at least my feet won't be cold.

http://ceallachknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2006 :  11:15:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message
Thanks Kelley. I think I've charted the design I want. I've decided on a tied or maybe tie-less cardigan using this chart as a guide:
http://www.yarnstandards.com/babysize.html

I want the chest to be 19-20" and the length to be 9" long based on the 6 month size and fact that I intend this to be worn over something AND I'd like the kid to have some time to actually wear it...

I swatched and played and charted an idea and even though it's after 3 am my mind is sort of racing with the possibilities. I admit that my fear is that the yarn will shrink a lot. I don't have a hot enough drier to really shrink the yarn in the swatch. Oh well, will do the best I can! It's cotton, it'll probably "grow" when it's worn.

Now I just have to figure out where to put the armholes...

Amanda Takes Off... and
Amanda Knits

Go to Top of Page

Tam
Permanent Resident

Australia
2810 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2006 :  5:48:13 PM  Show Profile Send Tam a Private Message
A friend of mine made a jumper for my youngest in the "standard" 3 month size and he was over 6 months before he could fit into it! But because he is skinny, he still fits into it at 17 months.

My 6-y-o son's chest is 24", my 4-y-o daughter's chest is 22" and the 17 month is 16".

Happy Knitting,
Tam in Melbourne

http://photos.yahoo.com/lillysmum2002

2006 Stats: 2 WIPs, 11 FOs
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2006 :  8:54:43 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
These are the three patterns I am making (have made) for my new great grandbabies.

This is probably the most popular sweater I have made for newborns. It is sized for newborn at 6 stitches per inch. Knit at 5 stitches per inch it fits a 12-18 month size.

http://knitting.about.com/library/blbabyswe4.htm

This is another very quick to knit pattern. There is not enough sizing information with the pattern. As written it is about 6 month size. I enlarged it by making another row of the design in the yoke and then adding 2 stitches under each arm.

http://www.minidata.co.nz/major/freepatt/patt01.htm

I just love the teddy's on this sweater. I switched it to raglan sleeves because I didn't like the way they fit.

http://knitting.about.com/library/blteddysweater.htm

fran

http://martianmischief.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

yarnspeaktome
Chatty Knitter

USA
285 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2006 :  9:27:39 PM  Show Profile  Send yarnspeaktome a Yahoo! Message Send yarnspeaktome a Private Message
Ever consider knitting a "snoo-dle"? They're little knitted dolls (or animals) that one stuffs with pure lamb's wool. The dolls are left open and the main body unstuffed; the stuffing is sent to the hospital during the mom's stay in which one places the wool in the hospital's bed pillow (or nursing rocker pillow). Upon leaving the hospital; stuff the dolls with the wool (the opening is cinched close with a draw yarn; think Build A Bear).

The point is: when the mom rests against the pillow her scent will transfer onto the wool. The dolls will always let the baby know that mom's near by because of the mom scented within the snoo-dle. A newborn's sense of smell is very powerful and increases as they grow. How does a toddler always knows when there is a cookie in the house?

I made one for each of my kids before they were born; a bear and a bunny. Now 9 and 7; they still sleep with their snoo-dles hanging from their bed posts. Just look up any small stuff doll or animal pattern to use.

Elsie W
Go to Top of Page

Diane
Gabber Extraordinaire

366 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2006 :  5:23:07 PM  Show Profile Send Diane a Private Message
Lots of great suggestions here, don't have anything to add on what to knit, but you are right to think "normal" sizes for these kids. My twins were two weeks early (induced), both over six pounds and took off from there. Also think it is a good idea to knit for "down the road" as they will likely get flooded with the smaller stuff. Better to have stuff to grow into.
Go to Top of Page

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2006 :  6:30:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message
Her twins were induced about 3 weeks early and were already over 6 lbs (so I was told through a friend--I haven't even heard that it went well yet, but that's not a total shocker).

Amanda Takes Off... and
Amanda Knits

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?