Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Tool Talk
 Needles
 New Knitter/Socks
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

vicky by the bay
Permanent Resident

USA
4768 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2003 :  04:50:12 AM  Show Profile Send vicky by the bay a Private Message
Good morning everyone out there in knitting land. This is my first posting so if I sound or look unsure of myself....I am. I'm a relatively new knitter. I did learn to knit and pearl as a kid, but have never made anything harder than an afghan or scarf. So this year I ended up w/ a bumb back and have been home since December. I can't do much except sit around. So I decided I would try knitting again. It's so much fun! I've made scarves for everyone in my family. A couple sweaters. An Afghan. Now I want to try making socks. I feel so intimidated. I have Nacy Wiseman and Leslye Solomans vhs tapes. I'm having a hard time starting. Any Suggestions from you wise/experienced knitters?

Vicky(new knitter-HELP!!)

Licensed2Cook
Permanent Resident

USA
3554 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2003 :  05:32:55 AM  Show Profile  Send Licensed2Cook a Yahoo! Message Send Licensed2Cook a Private Message
Hello,

I am fairly new to sock knitting. I took a class at my LYS last summer. By the end of the class I had one out of two done. I went home and had no trouble finishing the second. My suggestion would be to make your first pair out of a light colored DK weight with some nylon or other synthetic blend yarn. Then it's easier to see what you are doing.

Sad story about my first pair. I made them for my husband. I was so proud he chose to wear them to the U of M game. He drove to Ann Arbor, walked into the stadium, watched the game, walked back to the car and drove home. My point is not alot of walking was done. He came home and there was a hole in the toe from his "razor sharp" big toe nail. At least that was my first thought. After asking the shop owner she said one of two things could have caused this, 1) I might need to make his socks an inch larger next time or 2) only use a wool blend with some nylon not 100 percent wool like I had used.

Good luck- and no fear in your knitting!

Dee
Go to Top of Page

Licensed2Cook
Permanent Resident

USA
3554 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2003 :  05:32:55 AM  Show Profile  Send Licensed2Cook a Yahoo! Message Send Licensed2Cook a Private Message
Hello,

I am fairly new to sock knitting. I took a class at my LYS last summer. By the end of the class I had one out of two done. I went home and had no trouble finishing the second. My suggestion would be to make your first pair out of a light colored DK weight with some nylon or other synthetic blend yarn. Then it's easier to see what you are doing.

Sad story about my first pair. I made them for my husband. I was so proud he chose to wear them to the U of M game. He drove to Ann Arbor, walked into the stadium, watched the game, walked back to the car and drove home. My point is not alot of walking was done. He came home and there was a hole in the toe from his "razor sharp" big toe nail. At least that was my first thought. After asking the shop owner she said one of two things could have caused this, 1) I might need to make his socks an inch larger next time or 2) only use a wool blend with some nylon not 100 percent wool like I had used.

Dee
Go to Top of Page

Licensed2Cook
Permanent Resident

USA
3554 Posts

Hello,

Dee
Go to Top of Page

Susan T-O
Permanent Resident

USA
2481 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2003 :  05:53:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Susan T-O's Homepage Send Susan T-O a Private Message
Welcome, Vicky!
I am working on my second pair of socks--such fun! If possible, I suggest using a pattern that divides the stitches onto 4 needles rather than 3. Yes, it sounds intimidating, but having done swatches both ways I find 4 easier to work with. It's also easier if you keep your working needles on top of the others. The pattern I use suggests that while working the heel, put the non-working stitches on waste yarn so you don't pull the stitches at the end of each row. I found it very difficult to get the stitches back on the needles with my first sock, so on the second I used a thicker yarn folded in half, and that made a big difference.

I think you'll enjoy making socks. They, like Navaho plying, are one of those really intimidating, complex-looking things that are pretty easy once you get the hang of it. Go for it, and keep us posted on your progress

--Susan T-O

Dear IRS: I would like to cancel my subscription. Please remove my name from your mailing list.
Go to Top of Page

Susan T-O
Permanent Resident

USA
2481 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2003 :  05:53:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Susan T-O's Homepage Send Susan T-O a Private Message
Welcome, Vicky!
I am working on my second pair of socks--such fun! If possible, I suggest using a pattern that divides the stitches onto 4 needles rather than 3. Yes, it sounds intimidating, but having done swatches both ways I find 4 easier to work with. It's also easier if you keep your working needles on top of the others. The pattern I use suggests that while working the heel, put the non-working stitches on waste yarn so you don't pull the stitches at the end of each row. I found it very difficult to get the stitches back on the needles with my first sock, so on the second I used a thicker yarn folded in half, and that made a big difference.

I think you'll enjoy making socks. They, like Navaho plying, are one of those really intimidating, complex-looking things that are pretty easy once you get the hang of it. Go for it, and keep us posted on your progress

--Susan T-O

Dear IRS: I would like to cancel my subscription. Please remove my name from your mailing list.
Go to Top of Page

Susan T-O
Permanent Resident

USA
2481 Posts

Welcome, Vicky!

--Susan T-O

Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2003 :  1:36:35 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
I tried socks off and on for years, but I really learned how to make them by making mini socks for my Christmas tree out of scrap yarn. I used the mini sock pattern at www.heartstringsfiberarts.com. It is free.

fran

Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

I tried socks off and on for years, but I really learned how to make them by making mini socks for my Christmas tree out of scrap yarn. I used the mini sock pattern at www.heartstringsfiberarts.com. It is free.

fran

Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

fran

Go to Top of Page

Pookie
Chatty Knitter

255 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2003 :  4:27:36 PM  Show Profile Send Pookie a Private Message
My number one hint for new sock knitters is -- use bamboo needles! Metal is too slippery and with six or eight needle ends to worry about, this can be a problem. I did my first sock on metal needles, and lost stitches left and right. I switched to bamboo and have rarely lost a stitch since (except, of course, when I pull an "active" needle out, thinking it's the empty one... )

Pookie in Seattle

Go to Top of Page

Pookie
Chatty Knitter

255 Posts

My number one hint for new sock knitters is -- use bamboo needles! Metal is too slippery and with six or eight needle ends to worry about, this can be a problem. I did my first sock on metal needles, and lost stitches left and right. I switched to bamboo and have rarely lost a stitch since (except, of course, when I pull an "active" needle out, thinking it's the empty one... )

Pookie in Seattle

Go to Top of Page

Pookie
Chatty Knitter

255 Posts

Pookie in Seattle

Go to Top of Page

Susan T-O
Permanent Resident

USA
2481 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2003 :  5:46:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Susan T-O's Homepage Send Susan T-O a Private Message
quote:

have rarely lost a stitch since (except, of course, when I pull an "active" needle out, thinking it's the empty one... )

Pookie in Seattle

Oh, don't you just hate that??? But I feel better knowing I'm not the only one who has done that

Go to Top of Page

Susan T-O
Permanent Resident

USA
2481 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2003 :  5:46:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Susan T-O's Homepage Send Susan T-O a Private Message
quote:

have rarely lost a stitch since (except, of course, when I pull an "active" needle out, thinking it's the empty one... )

Pookie in Seattle

Oh, don't you just hate that??? But I feel better knowing I'm not the only one who has done that

Go to Top of Page

Susan T-O
Permanent Resident

USA
2481 Posts

quote:

Pookie in Seattle

Go to Top of Page

Susan T-O
Permanent Resident

USA
2481 Posts

quote:

Pookie in Seattle

Go to Top of Page

ENugent
Chatty Knitter

120 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2003 :  07:46:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit ENugent's Homepage Send ENugent a Private Message
I started by making the "Fuzzy Feet" slippers from www.knitty.com (look in the archives for the winter issue, I think). The mechanics are exactly the same as socks, but you are using worsted weight yarn, and since you're going to felt them, mistakes and fit don't matter much.

Go to Top of Page

ENugent
Chatty Knitter

120 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2003 :  07:46:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit ENugent's Homepage Send ENugent a Private Message
I started by making the "Fuzzy Feet" slippers from www.knitty.com (look in the archives for the winter issue, I think). The mechanics are exactly the same as socks, but you are using worsted weight yarn, and since you're going to felt them, mistakes and fit don't matter much.

Go to Top of Page

ENugent
Chatty Knitter

120 Posts

Go to Top of Page

ENugent
Chatty Knitter

120 Posts

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 2.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?