Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Guild and Group Info
 What's the difference?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hissyknit
Permanent Resident

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2006 :  07:00:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit hissyknit's Homepage Send hissyknit a Private Message
Okay, what exactly is the difference between a knitting group and a knitting guild? Is there a secret handshake with needles for a guild? Or is a group just more loosely formed? Be gentle with me--I ran out of Dr. Pepper yesterday and my brain cells are slowly dying from caffiene withdrawal.

Christy B.
"I run with scissors and eat paste."

KromGal
Gabber Extraordinaire

594 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2006 :  07:39:23 AM  Show Profile Send KromGal a Private Message
In my experience, guilds are more structured, formal, often associated with some larger organization. Guilds have dues, officers, regular meetings, charity projects, guest speakers, even libraries. Groups are, well, a bunch of people who just get together to knit or spin. They may or may not have one or more of the above characteristics.
Go to Top of Page

Knitasha
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
355 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2006 :  2:43:27 PM  Show Profile Send Knitasha a Private Message
Here's a link to The Knitting Guild Association.
Their Web site has information on local guilds affiliated with TKGA and the requirements.
Go to Top of Page

The Irish Ewe
Permanent Resident

USA
1052 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2006 :  04:32:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit The Irish Ewe's Homepage Send The Irish Ewe a Private Message
A guild has to be sanctioned by TKGA, a group anyone can start anytime.

The Irish Ewe
Norway, Maine
http://www.TheIrishEwe.com
Go to Top of Page

metromaples
Seriously Hooked

USA
878 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2006 :  06:05:31 AM  Show Profile Send metromaples a Private Message
I am a "member" of what I call "knit night". Sometimes we call ourselves "Sisters of the Wool" We have no dues or officers. Charity projects are on-your-own, though sometimes we'll do one together. We have no group library but all of us have books and we share them from time to time, but there's no check-out card. We sometimes have guests but never (so far) a guest speaker. We do have regular meetings -- every week and most of us try to never miss. We don't have presentations but sometimes some people show other people how to do whatever it is they've been wanting to know how to do. Sometimes several of us figure something out together. We always have show and tell.

Knit night is my favorite day of the week.

-- Jeri
http://soapquiltknit.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2006 :  10:19:42 AM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Hi, Jeri: "Sisters of the Wool" sounds like "Bay Area Wool Divas" aka BAWDies. We meet Fridays at noon--well, some of us do in the Financial District for about an hour. I don't go then unless I am in the area. We also meet Sundays. At the moment we are looking for a place to meet on Sundays as the book store where we met closed. We are a very relaxed group. Some times I take my needlepoint. We also have people who sometimes bring crocheting. We consider ourselves a "very loose knit group." To be honest we don't have any rules. Also if someone has a problem with their project we help each other.

Take care. Beverley [:00]

Bev
Go to Top of Page

of troy
Permanent Resident

USA
2474 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2006 :  1:11:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit of troy's Homepage Send of troy a Private Message
Re: A guild has to be sanctioned by TKGA, a group anyone can start anytime.

says who?
guilds don't have to belong to the TKGA-its a private company, and it doesn't own the word guild. guild can be (and are if they chose, not members of the TKGA. (which requires members of guilds to require members to join TKGA (or $25 a year for TKGA membership +what ever the guild decides to charge for membership.
(the TKGA is out to sell its magazine and make money. sure its good for guilds to be associated (but its even a better deal for TKGA.)

guilds are general more organized. the BAKG (big apple guild) has regular once a month meeting, with 'scheduled activies" in the meeting.

it has membership dues, by-laws, elected leadership. it has a web page and newsletter. it has a bank account, and hires instructors, and even has a yearly retreat. the BAKG has negociated deals with many (not all but many) NYC LYS's and members get discounts (10% or more) on yarn purchaces.

i also belong to a SnB group. no membership, no programs, no newsletter, no discounts.. and since we meet in a public codffee shop, each member is (generally) required to make a purchase..

each group is valuable to me--in different ways.

See my photo albums of knitting. http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v299/oftroy/
Go to Top of Page

mprsdrose
New Pal

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2006 :  7:35:26 PM  Show Profile Send mprsdrose a Private Message
I also belong to a Knitting Guild and a couple of different groups that meet to knit (friends, store group, and SnB group).

Our Guild (www.tigardknittingguild.org) charges $24 per year. This includes the cost to publish and distribute a monthly newsletter to 100+ members, and to pay speakers to present to us each month. Guests can attend 2 meetings free before joining.

The monthly program consists of a 1-hour structured program which may be a presentation, or hands-on workshop - examples include steeking, making knitted braid, entrelac; last month's was about knitting design and "fit". In October, Nancy Bush is coming to speak to us about Knitting in Estonia. We have a range of members from beginner to advanced, and many blue-ribbon winners from local fairs.
The second hour is for "show-and-tell" which is enormously helpful for getting ideas, and seeing what everyone is working on. Also, it is an open forum for people to ask questions.

re: TKGA - We are recognized as being a guild under TKGA, but TKGA doesn't regularly keep it's web list up to date, so being a guild and being a member of TKGA are not synonymous.

By comparison, the other "groups" I belong to are not as structured. I rarely "learn" anything in those groups, unless I specifically ask another member or friend to "teach" me, or I am at a store and the owner doesn't mind showing me. Most of the time, I have "friends" who want to learn everything from me that I have learned in classes that I took at stores.

Both groups are equally social, but we spend more time chatting and socializing in the informal groups, and not usually about knitting, either. In the informal groups, I usually try to bring a project that doesn't require fussy knitting or deep attention so that I don't have to unknit it later. Due to the presentation format of the guild meetings, I usually knit quite a bit at the meeting, but still am free to listen to the presenter and view any samples etc.

As a previous person posted, there are positive points to both groups; but, I would definitely encourage curious people to check out the guilds as a way to expand knowledge, learning and ideas.
Michelle
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.48 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?