Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Do you do this?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Marg in Mirror
Permanent Resident

Canada
3205 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2003 :  7:52:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Marg in Mirror's Homepage  Send Marg in Mirror a Yahoo! Message Send Marg in Mirror a Private Message
I've noticed that I finish a WIP sooner if the project in question is for someone else, rather than for me. I have 4 WIPs going right now --a pair of sox, a sleeveles top, a striped sweater that I am doing in the round, and a jacket in Gedifra "Dandy". All for me (which is unusual). And so I tend to put them off if I get side-tracked to do something as a gift.

D'you suppose it's that a gift has a deadline? Or just that it's for someone else (and therefore seen as more important than one for self)? Or a combination of both? What do you folks think?

-- Marg in Calgary

TLWKOTB

mtchen
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2003 :  8:34:01 PM  Show Profile Send mtchen a Private Message
Yes I do that too. But usually it's because the gift is to be given in short notice. Whereas if it's a project for myself, I can take my time and enjoy it more. Another reason is that I already have the yarn for the gifts in mind, so I know what I'm making and can get started. As for yarns I bought for myself, I need to take more time to contemplate or decide on what I want to make...I keep asking myself, "What do I need? A hat? A pullover? Another scarf?" And this takes a lot of going back and forth...

Go to Top of Page

mtchen
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
564 Posts

Yes I do that too. But usually it's because the gift is to be given in short notice. Whereas if it's a project for myself, I can take my time and enjoy it more. Another reason is that I already have the yarn for the gifts in mind, so I know what I'm making and can get started. As for yarns I bought for myself, I need to take more time to contemplate or decide on what I want to make...I keep asking myself, "What do I need? A hat? A pullover? Another scarf?" And this takes a lot of going back and forth...

Go to Top of Page

mtchen
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
564 Posts

Go to Top of Page

mtchen
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
564 Posts

Go to Top of Page

moxie
Seriously Hooked

844 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2003 :  8:40:59 PM  Show Profile Send moxie a Private Message
Yes ma'am!

Not counting the scarf I made when I was 9, I've knit two things for myself so far:
1 pullover (took 4 years to finish)
1 cardigan (7+ years, still not done though finally getting close)
I've recently bought the fiber for many other personal projects but who knows when they'll ever hit the needles?

On the other hand I started a pair of socks for myself last night and I'm almost done with turning the first heel, so at this rate I could be done in less than two days. Though it's possible that I will never get around to making the second sock.

I think I finish things quickly as a combination of both deadline and also because it's more fun to think of how nice the giftee will look in the gift, and how happy they will be to receive it, than to think of how I will look in the completed item. Plus, if it ends up not being the right size/color for the intended one I can usually think of someone else whom it would suit.

On the other hand, when knitting for myself I seem to develop a hearty loathing for the project by the time it is almost finished.
Because I can try the item on as I go along, I have a tendency to get jaded and dissatisfied with the look.

Moxie
Go to Top of Page

moxie
Seriously Hooked

844 Posts

Yes ma'am!

Not counting the scarf I made when I was 9, I've knit two things for myself so far:
I've recently bought the fiber for many other personal projects but who knows when they'll ever hit the needles?

On the other hand I started a pair of socks for myself last night and I'm almost done with turning the first heel, so at this rate I could be done in less than two days. Though it's possible that I will never get around to making the second sock.

I think I finish things quickly as a combination of both deadline and also because it's more fun to think of how nice the giftee will look in the gift, and how happy they will be to receive it, than to think of how I will look in the completed item. Plus, if it ends up not being the right size/color for the intended one I can usually think of someone else whom it would suit.

On the other hand, when knitting for myself I seem to develop a hearty loathing for the project by the time it is almost finished.
Because I can try the item on as I go along, I have a tendency to get jaded and dissatisfied with the look.

Moxie
Go to Top of Page

moxie
Seriously Hooked

844 Posts

Yes ma'am!

Moxie
Go to Top of Page

moxie
Seriously Hooked

844 Posts

Yes ma'am!

Moxie
Go to Top of Page

moxie
Seriously Hooked

844 Posts

Yes ma'am!

Moxie
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?