Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Oldest WIP?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

RooKangas
Warming Up

99 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2003 :  11:10:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit RooKangas's Homepage Send RooKangas a Private Message
I just started working again on a fair isle pullover I started in 1987. Who has the oldest WIP? Not the thing you can't figure out why you ever started in the first place, but the project interrupted by boredom, childbirth, weight gain or loss etc. that you really intend to finish someday.
Mine is this Three Colour "Pull-Over" Adaptable to Various Sizes from Classic Knitting Patterns for the British Isles - Men's Hand-Knits from the 20's to the 50's in natural white and two shades of grey Lopi Lite. I started it for my husband before we were married. Marriage agreed with him and by the time I got to the second sleeve, he had "filled out" to the point where it no longer fit. I didn't knit at all for over ten years while my children were small, but now I'm re-doing the pullover for myself. It would have been oversized on me in '87, but I've filled out too. My two color fair isle technique is better now, so the difference between the old and the new knitting might be noticeable, but I'm hoping wet blocking will help the old loose stitches disappear.

Carol

Summer
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
581 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2003 :  11:35:29 AM  Show Profile Send Summer a Private Message
1987 must have been a good year. I have a baby sweater that I started knitting when I was pregnant with my daughter, who will be 16 in November. When I recently picked up knitting again, that sweater was still sitting on a needle. I can't bear to rip it out because it was a project for my daughter. Even though it definitely won't fit her at this point, I do hope to finish it someday.

Jill

Go to Top of Page

Summer
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
581 Posts

1987 must have been a good year. I have a baby sweater that I started knitting when I was pregnant with my daughter, who will be 16 in November. When I recently picked up knitting again, that sweater was still sitting on a needle. I can't bear to rip it out because it was a project for my daughter. Even though it definitely won't fit her at this point, I do hope to finish it someday.

Jill

Go to Top of Page

Summer
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
581 Posts

Jill

Go to Top of Page

Summer
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
581 Posts

Jill

Go to Top of Page

Summer
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
581 Posts

Jill

Go to Top of Page

RooKangas
Warming Up

99 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2003 :  11:20:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit RooKangas's Homepage Send RooKangas a Private Message
Baby sweaters are my major UFO. I've actually finished about 3 in 30 years, but have started several more, plus afghans, where the child has graduated from college sans knitted item. Part of the problem has been that I didn't like the pastel acrylic, particularly the genderless mint green or whatever. Now I know about superwash wool, so baby is more likely to have a finished object before he/she receives the diploma.

Go to Top of Page

RooKangas
Warming Up

99 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2003 :  11:20:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit RooKangas's Homepage Send RooKangas a Private Message
Baby sweaters are my major UFO. I've actually finished about 3 in 30 years, but have started several more, plus afghans, where the child has graduated from college sans knitted item. Part of the problem has been that I didn't like the pastel acrylic, particularly the genderless mint green or whatever. Now I know about superwash wool, so baby is more likely to have a finished object before he/she receives the diploma.

Go to Top of Page

RooKangas
Warming Up

99 Posts

Go to Top of Page

RooKangas
Warming Up

99 Posts

Go to Top of Page

RooKangas
Warming Up

99 Posts

Go to Top of Page

Parrot Girl
Permanent Resident

2129 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2003 :  07:14:54 AM  Show Profile Send Parrot Girl a Private Message
About 12 years ago VK had a cover sweater that was turquoise cotton with a map of the world on it--Eastern hemisphere on the front, Western hemisphere on the back. It's still in its Rubbermaid box, about half finished, with all the yarn. I still like it but I'm not mad about it like I was when I started.

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined." Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

Parrot Girl
Permanent Resident

2129 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2003 :  07:14:54 AM  Show Profile Send Parrot Girl a Private Message
About 12 years ago VK had a cover sweater that was turquoise cotton with a map of the world on it--Eastern hemisphere on the front, Western hemisphere on the back. It's still in its Rubbermaid box, about half finished, with all the yarn. I still like it but I'm not mad about it like I was when I started.

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined." Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

Parrot Girl
Permanent Resident

2129 Posts

Go to Top of Page

Luann
Permanent Resident

USA
2666 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2003 :  08:59:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Luann's Homepage Send Luann a Private Message
Mine is the "haunted baby cardigan" I wrote about in the worst project nightmare thread. I only have the button band to knit and sew, and it will be done after 6 years. I guess I'm just a piker compared to some of you!

Re: the map of the world sweater from VK - for their anniversary last year they redid the pattern as an afghan. I have the pattern and all the Takhi Donegal Tweed to make it, it's waiting patiently. Maybe NEXT winter...

Luann

Go to Top of Page

Luann
Permanent Resident

USA
2666 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2003 :  08:59:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Luann's Homepage Send Luann a Private Message
Mine is the "haunted baby cardigan" I wrote about in the worst project nightmare thread. I only have the button band to knit and sew, and it will be done after 6 years. I guess I'm just a piker compared to some of you!

Re: the map of the world sweater from VK - for their anniversary last year they redid the pattern as an afghan. I have the pattern and all the Takhi Donegal Tweed to make it, it's waiting patiently. Maybe NEXT winter...

Luann

Go to Top of Page

Luann
Permanent Resident

USA
2666 Posts

Luann

Go to Top of Page

Luann
Permanent Resident

USA
2666 Posts

Luann

Go to Top of Page

Maxtish
Chatty Knitter

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2003 :  09:03:19 AM  Show Profile Send Maxtish a Private Message
I have a cotton sweater I was adapting to make it long sleeved but then I ran of yarn. I would guess it was about 1989 or so. So I keep thinking I should just go back to the short sleeve version but I haven't done it. Also, I don't think it would fit me anymore so unless I can think of someone to give it to it might just stay in the workbasket for eternity.

Go to Top of Page

Maxtish
Chatty Knitter

USA
190 Posts

I have a cotton sweater I was adapting to make it long sleeved but then I ran of yarn. I would guess it was about 1989 or so. So I keep thinking I should just go back to the short sleeve version but I haven't done it. Also, I don't think it would fit me anymore so unless I can think of someone to give it to it might just stay in the workbasket for eternity.

Go to Top of Page

Maxtish
Chatty Knitter

USA
190 Posts

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.88 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?