Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Worst Project Nightmare
 the orange yarn bled into the white -DON'T USE it
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

reneeofbrooklyn
New Pal

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2006 :  1:10:53 PM  Show Profile Send reneeofbrooklyn a Private Message
I used SCHEEPJES cotton trend white. (50% cotton/ 50%acrylic) Made in Slowakia. The label says HWS Markoma b.v. Holland. I knitted a 3inch strap in this white for a free form tank. I trimmed the strap with some Bonnie Persimmon(burnt orange) $10.95 one ball made in Italy for Reynolds yarns, a division of JCA, Inc., Townsend, MA It's 55% cotton 45% Vicose The orange bled into the white. I had to cut the strap, rather than rip it out, and reknit it with some other white. I washed it in cold water with Palmolive dishwashing liquid soap, which is great for knits. I'm upset because I spent a month knitting it and it's a nice creation, very unusual. I made half of the front in left over Quibban peach cotton. Before I finish the strap, I'll run it under cold water to see if this one bleeds into the new white yarn I found in my stash. This white is thin and shinny but doesn't have a label.

dschmidt
Permanent Resident

4004 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2006 :  4:52:05 PM  Show Profile Send dschmidt a Private Message
How frustrating for you. I am sorry this happened.

Donna in VA
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2006 :  05:03:19 AM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message
Bummer

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

The Irish Ewe
Permanent Resident

USA
1052 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2006 :  3:03:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit The Irish Ewe's Homepage Send The Irish Ewe a Private Message
We've stocked Bonnie in the shop since it came out last winter, and have yet to run across any of the sye running... very sorry to hear!

The Irish Ewe
Norway, Maine
http://www.TheIrishEwe.com
Go to Top of Page

llinn
honorary angel

USA
1650 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2006 :  11:15:06 PM  Show Profile Send llinn a Private Message
Not to offend anyone, but an awful lot of yarn these days is manufactured in places that don't have the kind of quality control as US and most established UK companies. Even the best companies can have problems with crocked dye lots or excess dye in a particular lot.
Any time you plan to use a strong color with white, I would suggest checking for color fastness.
Use hot water, a good detergent (like Dawn) and a hunk of white paper towel. Wet a length of the yarn 10-15 inches with detergent and hot water. Wrap the paper towel over the yarn and pull it down the wet length. Look for any color transfer.
If there's no color on the paper towel, you should be good to go unless you then wash it in a too strong detergent or use bleaching agents. Many bleaching agents, including "color-safe" bleaches or detergents with bleaching agents built in can crack the dyes used overseas. Some of their technology is older and their dyes are not as durable as some used here. Also most cottons are still dyed with fiber reactive dyes in order to get a good strong color and some detergent formulas have fiber reactive bleaching agents--oops. I have also seen problems with the alum (I'm guessing) in underarm deodorant breaking the dye in wool. I made a beautiful sweater for my BF 35 years ago. All rich earth tones with a thunderbird in the center of a white stripe. His sister borrowed it, used Secret spray deodorant and when I got the sweater back, the brown dye had broken and bled into the white in big smears. She was pretty snotty about the whole thing too.
Anyhow, if you get no color smear you should be allright. If you do, soak the offending yarn in water with detergent and ammonia. Swoosh and rinse until no more dye comes out. Then soak the yarn in heavily salted water overnight. Check for fastness again. If saltwater doesn't do it, sometimes simmering in salt water for an hour or so then letting it soak will. But I figure I'd rather get a good dye yarn than screw around with a bad dye job.
If you're stuck with a bunch of yarn and can't return it, you can overdye with most commercial dyes. The mordant there will often set the bad dye and the new color will prevent the old one from bleeding out, most of the time. But I would never trust it with white next door.
It's ALWAYS a good idea to make your swatch with all your colors and then wash and dry the swatch as you intend to care for the finished item.
That will usually avoid these little, remarkably unpleasant surprises.
Lin
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.39 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?