Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Guild and Group Info
 Questions about Guilds
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

knittinggal
Chatty Knitter

USA
296 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2006 :  12:30:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit knittinggal's Homepage Send knittinggal a Private Message
If you are or ever have been a member of a knitting guild, I'd like to post these questions to you.

1. Did your guild charge dues? If so, how much?

2. If the guild charged dues, what were the pros and cons?

3. Was your guild associated with TKGA?

Thanks!!

Kay

www.knittinggalnokc.blogspot.com

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2006 :  12:45:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
1. Yes, $12 a year local, whatever TKGA membership is national
2. the money went into a fund for bringing in guest speakers. I left the guild before I saw that happen. But I think $1 a month is cheap, so I didn't have any problems with that.
3. yes, and it was because of that we charged dues - TKGA requires it.

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

LJ
Permanent Resident

USA
1939 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2006 :  1:34:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit LJ's Homepage Send LJ a Private Message
1. Yes. $15 annual. Will increase to $20 in Oct.
2. Dues are used for montly newsletter, meeting refreshments, flowers/cards for ill members, memorials for deceased members, etc. We also sponsor other activities during the year to raise money for Charity knitting, to bring in instructors, Knit-Out & Crochet.
3. Yes, we are associated with TKGA

I am the current President of our Guild, Tidewater Knitting Guild of Virginia, and would be happy to answer any other questions for you.

Linda in Va

http://wallisknits.blogspot.com
http://www.eweknitkits.com
http://tkgv.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

sarakate
Seriously Hooked

USA
818 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2006 :  4:10:52 PM  Show Profile Send sarakate a Private Message
1. Yes, $20 annually.

2. Our funds are used for tons of things -- part of the cost of bringing in teachers for retreats and workshops, reimbursement for door prizes for meetings, printing costs for flyers and the membership cards and similar things, etc., paying advance costs on the various activities (although most of them are ultimately self-financing) like our upcoming conference. We do get a lot of benefits -- 10% off at several of the local yarn shops is the main attraction for me, since that *easily* pays for itself within a couple of months, for me, but there are others, including discounts on our workshops and retreats, usually some sort of little gift when you renew if you do it during the main membership drive (last year it was a pouch to hold our nametags and stuff, this year a calculator).

3. We're not affiliated with the TKGA, to the best of my knowledge. Our website is here.
Go to Top of Page

hissyknit
Permanent Resident

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2006 :  5:06:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit hissyknit's Homepage Send hissyknit a Private Message
I don't exactly know the difference between a guild and group or if there is one but the group I belong to does not charge dues. Admittedly, we are new and may start but we don't do it now. We thought about it but the group decided to start out free to get members interested in group and charity knitting. We also don't belong to TKGA--yet.

Christy B.
"I run with scissors and eat paste."
Go to Top of Page

knittinggal
Chatty Knitter

USA
296 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2006 :  05:17:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit knittinggal's Homepage Send knittinggal a Private Message
I appreciate your responses. Linda in VA, I will be contacting you soon! Thanks.

Kay

Go to Top of Page

mprsdrose
New Pal

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2006 :  7:41:33 PM  Show Profile Send mprsdrose a Private Message
1. Yes - $24 per year ($12 after July 1st); 1/2 for second member of household. Guests may attend 2 meetings free before joining.

2. Guild fees help to cover rental of the meeting location, a monthly published newsletter (printed, and physically mailed), and speakers' fees. Sometimes presenters are members; sometimes, they are published designers that we have to pay [more] for.

PROS - Structured program and sharing/"show-and-tell" of knitting projects. Definitely a good way to learn new techniques or to find a mentor without having to pay for a class. Also a good way to see some of the famous knitting designers and authors, and to hear their knitting stories.

CONS - Not enough time to socialize with others in 2 hour meeting, or to see all the amazing knitting projects that people show.

3. Yes associated with TKGA. Doesn't matter - TKGA doesn't keep their website up to date. Not sure if there is a benefit to this, other than affiliation.
www.tigardknittingguild.org
Go to Top of Page

knittinggal
Chatty Knitter

USA
296 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2006 :  06:58:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit knittinggal's Homepage Send knittinggal a Private Message
Thanks Michelle. Our guild just finished with our big event of the year and that was hosting Stephanie aka The Yarn Harlot. It was the first event we've ever had and even though it was a learning lesson I believe it was a great success. I am gathering all this information from those of you who responded to this thread so when we talk about changes and/or our future I'll some good suggestions.

Thanks,

Kay

Go to Top of Page

of troy
Permanent Resident

USA
2474 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2006 :  6:09:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit of troy's Homepage Send of troy a Private Message
BAKG (big Apple Knitting guild) $25 a year
covers:
6 newsletters (usually 8 pages long)
Postage for newsletters, meeting reminders, and members directory (over 250 members
fees for web page hosting
room fees

in addition, the guild runs a knitting retreat in May (next year, Nicky Epstein and woman who is doing Aran Sweater knit along. and others--in the past we've had Sasha Kagan, Lily Chin, etc)
a Luncheon every fall
Classes (many meeting are workshop,) classes are 4 hours, limited enrollment)

BAKG provides vollunteers to teach at NTC Knit Out every year

there is also an annual yarn auction (i got 300 yards of worsted weight silk for $1--others got 1000 yards (a whole large cone) of mohair for $5--our auctions are the best!)

there are also charity knitting events, and other activities
guild library has over 400 books.

(guild is 20 or so years old)

See my photo albums of knitting. http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v299/oftroy/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.48 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe