Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Lace Forum
 New Lace Knitter
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Beee
Chatty Knitter

USA
142 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2006 :  09:25:59 AM  Show Profile Send Beee a Private Message
Hello everybody!

My name is Beee and I am a fairly new knitter :) (learned in Feb 06)

Since a few weeks, I am mesmerized by lace...
I knitted two feather and fan shawls; one with Bleu Heron Rayon Metallic and the other one with Artyarns Silk Rapsody.

My third Lace Project was Double Dayflower with Noro Silk Garden.

I am ready to knit lace with a lighter weight and purchased some variegated Koigu (deep whine color).

However, I am afraid that the lace pattern will dissappear in the variegated colorway of this Koigu yarn.

My question to you is how do you feel about knitting lace with variegated color yarn?

And do you know of a lace pattern for beginners that will fit well with the variegated Koigu yarn? Flower Basket shawl? Leaf Lace shawl?

Thank you so much in advance and pleased to meet you!
Beee

Katheroni
Permanent Resident

USA
1407 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2006 :  11:24:05 AM  Show Profile Send Katheroni a Private Message
I must admit that I generally don't like lace in variegated yarn for the exact reason you stated. Many people disagree with me (and sometimes I am stunned by their beautiful results, but usually I just think it's a shame they didn't use a solid).

It's all up to you and your own asthetic. How strong are the color contrasts? Have you knit up a swatch to see what YOU think? If you decide you don't like it, have no fear -- Koigu is great for other things, too!
Go to Top of Page

MMario
Permanent Resident

2208 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2006 :  11:35:44 AM  Show Profile Send MMario a Private Message
I think it is highly dependent on the pattern whether or not it "works" with a particular variagated yarn. trial and error**.

MMario - I don't live in the 21st century - but I play a character who does.

I say trial and error because in order to see if a pattern properly works you more or less have to swatch *in pattern with the number of stitches* you are going to use. and if the pattern changes - it may stop working - so ....
Go to Top of Page

Beee
Chatty Knitter

USA
142 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2006 :  11:38:47 AM  Show Profile Send Beee a Private Message
Hey Katheroni,

The Koigu is KPPPM and the color is a deep whine... makes me think of a basket full of ripe whine plums with some unripe lighter ones all mixed up togehter.

Yes I am swatching right now... I swatch a horse shoe pattern, drooping elm leaves pattern and I am going to swatch a dayflower pattern...

Allthough I am simply thrilled by the yarn and its colorway, when I look at the swatches I am having a hard time concentrating on the pattern cuz I am distracted by the variegated color.

On the other hand, I am convinced that there is a lace pattern out there that will work in harmony with this yarn. MUST FIND IT!

Beee
Go to Top of Page

Beee
Chatty Knitter

USA
142 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2006 :  11:40:40 AM  Show Profile Send Beee a Private Message
Yup MMario, trial and error indeed...

Hurray for swatching!

Beee
Go to Top of Page

MMario
Permanent Resident

2208 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2006 :  11:54:15 AM  Show Profile Send MMario a Private Message
Beee-- I personally have found that the simpler the pattern the more likely it is to work in a variagation - but part of that is personal taste. I've seen some very intricate lace done in variagated yarn that people swooned over.

MMario - I don't live in the 21st century - but I play a character who does.
Go to Top of Page

Calamintha
Permanent Resident

USA
2886 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2006 :  12:01:04 PM  Show Profile Send Calamintha a Private Message
I do a lot of lace knitting and count me as another one who doesn't like lace in variegated colors. What I would recommend to you is to make part of the shawl solid and do that part in the variegated Koigu. Then choose a coordinating solid color to do the lace sections in.

For instance, plan a rectangular shawl. Do the middle part across the back in plain garter or stockinette stitch in the variegated Koigu. Do the panels at either end in a lace stitch in the coordinating solid Koigu. To me this gives you the best of both worlds and you will wind up with a really unique looking shawl.
Go to Top of Page

Beee
Chatty Knitter

USA
142 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2006 :  3:03:53 PM  Show Profile Send Beee a Private Message
MMario, yes that was my tought too... a simple lace pattern. Too intricate a pattern with variegated yarn would be simply not show too well IMHO.

Calamintha, thanks for your tip, I never thought of doing that...
Definitely an eye opener!

I impatiently wait for the day that I am ready to knit with lace weight and webcob...sigh... patience Beee, patience...

Thanks for all your advice :)

Beee

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.7 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.