Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Who still buys sweaters?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

moxie
Seriously Hooked

844 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2003 :  10:44:58 AM  Show Profile Send moxie a Private Message
I've been spending a lot on yarn and knitting equipment lately but I comfort myself by saying that my spending on knit items and gifts will be going down!

Now that I'm spinning, I'm telling myself that my purchases of any yarn I could make myself will go down.

Truth or myth?

It's true that I have bought only 1 sweater ($9.99, lambswool on sale, from J. Crew) since last year, because I knew that it was less than the cost of the yarn alone.

Moxie

Kristin
Seriously Hooked

USA
606 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2003 :  10:50:37 AM  Show Profile Send Kristin a Private Message
I buy sweaters at 2nd hand shops with the intention of frogging them, washing the yarn and reusing it to knit other projects. I never pay more than $3 for a sweater (most are under $2) and I get lots of nice yarns for pennies!

When I'm in a stash enhancing mood and I know I can't spend $$ on expensive yarns, a trip to the 2nd hand stores usually gets the yarn buying "buy" out of my system. I have a bad of sweaters that I call my "frog pile".

--Kristin

"A little nonsense now & then is relished by the wisest men." --Roald Dahl
Go to Top of Page

Kristin
Seriously Hooked

USA
606 Posts

I buy sweaters at 2nd hand shops with the intention of frogging them, washing the yarn and reusing it to knit other projects. I never pay more than $3 for a sweater (most are under $2) and I get lots of nice yarns for pennies!

When I'm in a stash enhancing mood and I know I can't spend $$ on expensive yarns, a trip to the 2nd hand stores usually gets the yarn buying "buy" out of my system. I have a bad of sweaters that I call my "frog pile".

--Kristin

Go to Top of Page

Kristin
Seriously Hooked

USA
606 Posts

--Kristin

Go to Top of Page

Luann
Permanent Resident

USA
2670 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2003 :  10:50:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Luann's Homepage Send Luann a Private Message
I do buy sweaters sometimes, mostly on clearance (like everything else!) and if it's something I wouldn't/couldn't make myself. Last winter I bought two little zip up cardigans, machine knit on something like 1's or 0's, and somewhat felted. I wore them all the time, and never would have made, or been able to make, an equivalent.

I have also bought one beautiful handmade sweater at a craft fair, out of appreciation for the maker's skills. Sure I could make it, but she already did, and it's lovely.

Luann

Go to Top of Page

Luann
Permanent Resident

USA
2670 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2003 :  10:50:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Luann's Homepage Send Luann a Private Message
I do buy sweaters sometimes, mostly on clearance (like everything else!) and if it's something I wouldn't/couldn't make myself. Last winter I bought two little zip up cardigans, machine knit on something like 1's or 0's, and somewhat felted. I wore them all the time, and never would have made, or been able to make, an equivalent.

I have also bought one beautiful handmade sweater at a craft fair, out of appreciation for the maker's skills. Sure I could make it, but she already did, and it's lovely.

Luann

Go to Top of Page

Luann
Permanent Resident

USA
2670 Posts

Luann

Go to Top of Page

Martheme
Sustaining Member

USA
1565 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2003 :  11:26:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Martheme's Homepage  Send Martheme a Yahoo! Message Send Martheme a Private Message
I still buy sweaters! I have been knitting for 3 1/2 years and the only sweaters I've made have been for babies! I plan to start one later this year but have a few other projects I need to finish up first.

What I have found is that now I know way more about design, fiber and quality than I did before and it has made me a much more careful shopper. I also used it to justify to my husband why I bought 2 cashmere sweaters at $60 each last fall. Even if I had knit them myself the yarn would have cost more than that!!!! There wasn't much he could say to argue with that.

And I've gone through my closet carefully and gotten rid of many things that I now realize the quality of was questionable to begin with, both sweaters and other things. I'm just much fussier about fiber content now that I know so much more about it!

Martheme of Sheep Hearth of Golden Leaf Camp
visit the EC Fans site http://ecfans.com/forums.htm

visit my blog @ http://martheme.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Martheme
Sustaining Member

USA
1565 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2003 :  11:26:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Martheme's Homepage  Send Martheme a Yahoo! Message Send Martheme a Private Message
I still buy sweaters! I have been knitting for 3 1/2 years and the only sweaters I've made have been for babies! I plan to start one later this year but have a few other projects I need to finish up first.

What I have found is that now I know way more about design, fiber and quality than I did before and it has made me a much more careful shopper. I also used it to justify to my husband why I bought 2 cashmere sweaters at $60 each last fall. Even if I had knit them myself the yarn would have cost more than that!!!! There wasn't much he could say to argue with that.

And I've gone through my closet carefully and gotten rid of many things that I now realize the quality of was questionable to begin with, both sweaters and other things. I'm just much fussier about fiber content now that I know so much more about it!

Go to Top of Page

Martheme
Sustaining Member

USA
1565 Posts

Go to Top of Page

lemons
Permanent Resident

1692 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2003 :  11:39:12 AM  Show Profile Send lemons a Private Message
yeah, I buy them, too, especially when I visit my DSD in Norway. Things are expensive there, generally, and that includes yarn. But I know I'd never be able to manage one as beautiful as the Dales - too much problem for too many years with 2-color knitting. So I buy at least one a visit, and more since I found (AND SHE DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT IT!!) a factory store about 15 miles from her.

lemons of missouri

Go to Top of Page

lemons
Permanent Resident

1692 Posts

yeah, I buy them, too, especially when I visit my DSD in Norway. Things are expensive there, generally, and that includes yarn. But I know I'd never be able to manage one as beautiful as the Dales - too much problem for too many years with 2-color knitting. So I buy at least one a visit, and more since I found (AND SHE DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT IT!!) a factory store about 15 miles from her.

lemons of missouri

Go to Top of Page

lemons
Permanent Resident

1692 Posts

lemons of missouri

Go to Top of Page

Milinda
Permanent Resident

USA
3817 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2003 :  11:43:24 AM  Show Profile Send Milinda a Private Message
Kristin, you're the only other American I know who does the "frog pile" thing. I learned to check out second hand shops the way you do from a German friend of mine. I love to reuse or recycle good yarn. As we know, a good quality worseted has great "memory" and can go on to live another life.

M L
Go to Top of Page

Milinda
Permanent Resident

USA
3817 Posts

Kristin, you're the only other American I know who does the "frog pile" thing. I learned to check out second hand shops the way you do from a German friend of mine. I love to reuse or recycle good yarn. As we know, a good quality worseted has great "memory" and can go on to live another life.

M L
Go to Top of Page

Milinda
Permanent Resident

USA
3817 Posts

M L
Go to Top of Page

phlame
Permanent Resident

USA
1559 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2003 :  3:44:22 PM  Show Profile Send phlame a Private Message
Are you kidding?! I am addicted to sweaters...I buy sweaters, I buy yarn...I buy knitting machines...Help! ...no don't help me, I like it this way!

Shirley

Too much is not enough!
Go to Top of Page

phlame
Permanent Resident

USA
1559 Posts

Are you kidding?! I am addicted to sweaters...I buy sweaters, I buy yarn...I buy knitting machines...Help! ...no don't help me, I like it this way!

Shirley

Too much is not enough!
Go to Top of Page

phlame
Permanent Resident

USA
1559 Posts

Shirley

Too much is not enough!
Go to Top of Page

CatherineM
Permanent Resident

USA
3363 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2003 :  4:06:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit CatherineM's Homepage Send CatherineM a Private Message
Oh, I buy sweaters - I price the sweater and materials, look at the quality of the work, and if it's something I know I'll never get around to making or can't make for less, I'll buy it. J.Jill has a really cute tunic sweater right now that is calling my name - I could probably make it, but there's so much on my knitting plate already, who am I kidding? And the price is right, I couldn't make it for less.

Catherine
http://www.yorkiedog.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

CatherineM
Permanent Resident

USA
3363 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2003 :  4:06:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit CatherineM's Homepage Send CatherineM a Private Message
Oh, I buy sweaters - I price the sweater and materials, look at the quality of the work, and if it's something I know I'll never get around to making or can't make for less, I'll buy it. J.Jill has a really cute tunic sweater right now that is calling my name - I could probably make it, but there's so much on my knitting plate already, who am I kidding? And the price is right, I couldn't make it for less.

Catherine
http://www.yorkiedog.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 2.5 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by