Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitting Needles and Security
 Travelling with your FOs?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rebeccaL
Seriously Hooked

721 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2006 :  05:03:17 AM  Show Profile Send rebeccaL a Private Message
I have to admit, I am abnormally paraniod of losing my luggage, due to some traumatic incidents when travelling as a child (it seemed like every time I flew something got mislaid).

So there is something scary about packing a much-loved knitting item into my luggage. But when travelling to someplace where you need lots of wool sweaters, it seems necessary. (And then I have a WIP which is a wedding shawl and although I didn't want to work on it on the plane, I am afraid to bring it in my luggage because I've worked so hard on for now.)

Does anyone else have this fear? I'd better get over it because I don't have that much room in my carryon!

Rebecca

-------------------------------
Visit my blog at
http://www.spacesheep.com/Fiber/knitblog.html

knottyknitter
Permanent Resident

USA
3702 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2006 :  06:38:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit knottyknitter's Homepage Send knottyknitter a Private Message
I'm not so afraid of losing my luggage as I am of having things "removed" from it. Since you can't lock your luggage anymore, and routine searches are being done of checked luggage, I keep hearing of things coming up missing. Hopefully, your hand knit items will not be what the person searching is insterested in, but you never know.

And my apolgies to anyone who is employed as one of the people doing these searches. I'm not saying that EVERYONE in that business is dishonest, but there are obviously a few who are because I keep hearing about things missing from checked luggage from friends and family members. And unfortunately, it takes just one dishonest person to put fear in me.

My blog at KristiKnits.com
[img]http://www.kristiknits.com/images/KristiKnits_Logo_Green.gif[/img]
Go to Top of Page

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2006 :  06:40:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message
I normally carry one bag only. Carry on size. No theft problems. No worries, ever.

I am moving to Korea and because I will be gone for A YEAR, I am finally breaking my one bag rule. And I hate it. I love being a carry-on bag only person.

Amanda,
who
Knits

Only you can decide how tongue in cheek I am.
Go to Top of Page

knit_chick
Permanent Resident

1484 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2006 :  06:44:19 AM  Show Profile Send knit_chick a Private Message
I'm with knottyknitter about worrying more about things being removed. I know things may not be intentionally removed, but also things can be left out unintentionally when returning items after searching. You can lock your luggage if you have the TSA-approved locks, but I don't know the restrictions on locks when traveling outside the U.S.

If you're worried about the limited space in your carry-on, look into getting a few Space Bags. They come in carry-on sizes, so you can pack more without the bulk.

http://knitchick.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

maribelaprn
Permanent Resident

USA
2033 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2006 :  06:57:48 AM  Show Profile Send maribelaprn a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by knottyknitter

I'm not so afraid of losing my luggage as I am of having things "removed" from it. Since you can't lock your luggage anymore, and routine searches are being done of checked luggage, I keep hearing of things coming up missing.

You CAN lock your luggage.

http://www.tsa.gov/public/display?content=0900051980082cb5

The only restriction is that it has to be a TSA-approved lock. I use locks from Brookstone that have a combination lock, but there is a special lock on the bottom with a TSA number that indicates which key a TSA person must use to open the lock. I checked several bags earlier this month, all had these approved locks, and there was no problem.

Mari

2006 shawls/throws completed: 13
2006 socks completed: 5
WIP: Estonian lullaby blanket (Fiber Trends) in Shepards Wool

My blog: http://maribelaprn.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

knottyknitter
Permanent Resident

USA
3702 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2006 :  07:16:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit knottyknitter's Homepage Send knottyknitter a Private Message
OK - well yes, you can lock your bags, but there are still people opening them. My point was that I'm not entirely sure that all of the TSA people inspecting things can be trusted. And again, my apologies to any TSA employees on this board or friends and family of TSA employees - I'm not saying that ALL are not to be trusted, but I think there are some out there, based on personal experiences with missing items.

Go to Top of Page

Medea
Chatty Knitter

334 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2006 :  2:22:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Medea's Homepage Send Medea a Private Message
We've had friends have things stolen from luggage while traveling (and almost certainly stolen by airport employees), but it's mostly "trendy" things like designer shoes and sportswear and collectibles. I would worry less about handknit items, which wouldn't have much value on the open market once worn a few times. Unless you run across a very specialized thief, it seems unlikely handmade sweaters would go missing.

Jenny

I'm teaching myself to knit. Pictures of my (simple) projects are at http://www.flickr.com/photos/jsphotos
Go to Top of Page

knottyknitter
Permanent Resident

USA
3702 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2006 :  4:02:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit knottyknitter's Homepage Send knottyknitter a Private Message
Jenny,
I know - it's unlikely, but I wanted to point out it's possible. You're absolutely right about the type of things that get stolen. I recall a KR member a while back whose son had packed his laptop in his luggage!!!! Guess what was gone when he got to his destination (if I'm remembering the storey correctly). Definitely be careful of packing valuables in your checked luggage!

Go to Top of Page

Medea
Chatty Knitter

334 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2006 :  05:39:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Medea's Homepage Send Medea a Private Message
I meant to say to Rebecca, the original poster, that I, too, worry about losing my luggage when I fly, but that I've never had anything completely lost. Only twice has my luggage been lost, and both times it has been "found" within a day or two and returned to me. It's hard to trust the check-in process, but most of the time it works. I try to fly carry-on only, but when I have to check it's usually okay.

Jenny

I'm teaching myself to knit. Pictures of my (simple) projects are at http://www.flickr.com/photos/jsphotos
Go to Top of Page

Bethany
Permanent Resident

USA
1546 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2006 :  08:23:48 AM  Show Profile Send Bethany a Private Message
I've got to say that realistically speaking, I've lost a lot of stuff while traveling and none of it was due to either theft by airport security or lost luggage. I always misplaced it while traveling, something I think it easier to do when you're outside your home sphere.

I usually try not to bring anything easy to lose or difficult to replace unless I have a good reason to. If I have a good reason, though, I bring it. The stuff was meant to be used, after all.

Of course, I always stash an extra pair of underwear and the sleep mask I use when I sleep in my carry-on, just in case. :-)

I'm starting to wonder how long it will be before airlines will REALLY ban everything but small carry-ons (anything larger than will fit under your seat, for example). It didn't used to be a problem in the past, but over the last 6 months or so EVERY TIME I flew, the flight has been delayed as airline attendants tried to find places for people to stash their oversized wheeled carry-ons (no way those things met the size restrictions that are technically in place but never enforced) and huge "personal items" larger than my entire carry-on. Then there were further delays as they had to check the stuff that couldn't fit. Those big wheeled carry-ons are fine if only a few people bring them, but there isn't room for almost everyone to bring one, and that's what seems to be happening these days. I'm wondering how long before traveling with just a carry-on becomes a thing of the past.
Go to Top of Page

Maggib
Warming Up

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2006 :  12:43:09 PM  Show Profile Send Maggib a Private Message
I went to Alaska about 4 years ago. They lost my luggage for 24hrs and all I could think of was the sweaters that I had made in there. I do not pack anything of value(personal or financial) anymore. I did get my luggage but it allowed me to really consider how much I value certain thigns.
maggib
Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2006 :  9:53:10 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Hi, Rebecca: Have solved the luggage problem. I don't take it with me I ship it ahead. It costs a little something but well worth it. Not only that they pick it up and I ship it round trip. You just call an 800 number and they come to the hotel or wherever you are staying and pick it up. Also, you can track it. The cost depends on the weight and where it is going. Talk about peace of mind. Not only that the night before you leave you aren't totally worn out with packing. Its gone. Another thing if you make the no fly list like me you don't have to wait until they go through your luggage and then decide if you are ok. Flying is not fun any more and hasn't been for many, many years. They either laugh when they find out I am on the no fly list or say, "Exactly what did you do to get on this." How would I know, they won't tell you. Take care. Beverley

Bev
Go to Top of Page

fleegle
Permanent Resident

Japan
1507 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2006 :  11:42:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit fleegle's Homepage Send fleegle a Private Message
In the early days after 9/11 when you could watch the TSA folks opening your bags in the Miami airport, I stood there and saw the most amazing amount of theft. Videos and electronic games were real popular--the TSA inspectors' pockets were bulging! After that, we bought a half a dozen cable locks with really long cables. Everything gets threaded through the cable and then locked down. So the inspectors can inspect everything, but it would look real suspicious if he pulled out a string of sweaters and such and tried to cut one of them off the line.

Naturally, this means packing only things that can be strung, but smaller items can go into clear, sturdy plastic boxes with handles that can be taped shut and then strung on the line.

We travel most of the year, and after we adopted this anti-theft method, we haven't lost a single item or experienced a cut cable.
Go to Top of Page

Schachkoenigin
Chatty Knitter

166 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2006 :  12:20:22 PM  Show Profile Send Schachkoenigin a Private Message
Shipping doesn't always work. My father mailed some books from Germany to America by DHL a few years ago. When the box arrived, it had been opened. Somebody else's papers were in there, and some of his books were gone, including the notes he had written in the margins over several years. He could not return the papers to the owner, because there was no ID. So if you ship, label everything in the box with your name and address!
Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2006 :  8:23:17 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Sorry your father had that problem. I put my suitcase in a box, pack and lock it. The box is sealed and I have never had a problem. Have been doing this for some time; however, I have never shipped it out of the country. Perhaps it was where it started that the problem happened. Take care. Beverley

Bev
Go to Top of Page

Momma78239
Permanent Resident

USA
4859 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2006 :  10:33:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Momma78239's Homepage  Send Momma78239 a Yahoo! Message Send Momma78239 a Private Message
A suggestion: Make a list as you pack of absolutely everything in your bag, down to the number of hair pins. Make a note that the original is in your carry-on, then scan and copy or print two, if you make the list on the 'puter, and put one right on top of the bag. People who will steal things are much less likely to do so if they KNOW FOR SURE that the item will be missed. Plus, you'll have proof you can show the airline that something was stolen - if anything ever is.

-WendyM[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/Momma78239/smallspindlepic.gif[/IMG]
And all the women that were wise hearted did spin with their hands, and brought that which they had spun, both of blue, and of purple, and of scarlet, and of fine linen. Exodus 35:25
Go to Top of Page

knitegrity
Chatty Knitter

255 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2006 :  06:03:22 AM  Show Profile Send knitegrity a Private Message
I am flying from VA to CO next week and now I am nervous! I can't believe the theft stories I have read here. Pockets bulging right in the open public!! It's a shame isn't it? My sister that I am visiting is my size as well so I will pack very light and if I need additional clothing I can borrow it! My knitting will be with me and I don't anticipate packing anything that anyone else would want.
I like the long cable idea though. That sure shows you mean business and also making a list of what you have in your bag and laying it on top is a bit of a deterrent as well. One would hope.

I travelled to Romania in 1991 and took a train from Budapest to Oradea. It was in the middle of the night. No lights on the train. The guards with machine guns came and searched your luggage and took what they pleased right in front of you using their flashlight that they had previously confinscated!!! I felt like I was in a movie!!! Scary!

Knit One,
diana
Go to Top of Page

rebeccaL
Seriously Hooked

721 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2006 :  08:18:11 AM  Show Profile Send rebeccaL a Private Message
Well I am happy to report that none of my FOs got lost along the way (although a few stayed over there as gifts and a few other heavy sweaters stayed over there for my next visit).

And I even brought back a clock with a glass dome on it completely intact! Wow, I'm still amazed on that one.

Rebecca

-------------------------------
Visit my blog at
http://www.spacesheep.com/Fiber/knitblog.html
Go to Top of Page

knitting_physicist
Chatty Knitter

122 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2006 :  5:16:15 PM  Show Profile Send knitting_physicist a Private Message
Well, I hate to add to anyones fears, but I did want to add another dimension to this problem.

The more you carry-on with you, the 'bigger' a target you become for theft while you are still in the airport. Remember that you have to carry all that stuff everywhere in the airport, and with layovers, this can become a real hassle. My recent cross-country trips have really proven to be the ease of not carrying on too much; just a small knitting project, a book, and some headphones. Not much of a threat to be seen knitting in the airport.

-Sarah
No...gravitational physics makes the world go round.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 2.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe