Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitting Needles and Security
 Pointy Metal Needles
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

babyduck
Chatty Knitter

USA
126 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2006 :  05:45:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit babyduck's Homepage Send babyduck a Private Message
Ok, so I just got some of the KnitPicks options and I'm flying to Puerto Rico tomorrow. Does anybody have any thoughts on whether I'll have any problems with pointy metal needles? I've flown several times with bamboo and never even a word (except from the flight attendants admiring my knitting). So I'm just a little worried they'll confiscate my new needles. Yikes.

Keep in mind - they are really pointy.

zissa
Chatty Knitter

USA
222 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2006 :  06:14:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit zissa's Homepage Send zissa a Private Message
I probably wouldn't take them just for fear of confiscation. Whether needles are allowed on the plane is totally up to the security people on an individual basis and I would just hate to lose them that way. If you've taken bamboo in the past, I would just go with that. Have a nice trip!

www.wordsandwool.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2006 :  06:19:28 AM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message
Totally agree wtih Zissa. If you decide to take the metal needles, makes sure you have a project on them. Also someone suggested once that you have a self address stamped envelope just incase security takes the needles, you can mail them back to yourself.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

Dejhia
Chatty Knitter

USA
131 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2006 :  07:58:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Dejhia's Homepage  Send Dejhia a Yahoo! Message Send Dejhia a Private Message
I've flown with Susan Bates metal needles before. I did not have any problems getting them onto the plane. I've done that a few times. However, the regs are written such that it's up to the individual doing the screaing, so if you are at all nervious, bring that sell addressed stamped envlope along just in case.

~ heather
www.dejhia.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

sarakate
Seriously Hooked

USA
818 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2006 :  12:02:14 PM  Show Profile Send sarakate a Private Message
I flew on five different planes in the last week with size 1 metal DPNs, and did not get so much as a second look from security. However, denial is always subject to the discretion of the individual screener, so that does not prove that you will have no problems. Also, I did not fly to or from Puerto Rico, and have no knowledge of whether they tend to be more or less strict, although I *did* go through DCA in Washington, which tends to be a pain in the tuchus about things that other airports never question, and they didn't question me about these.
Go to Top of Page

Becky in MO
Seriously Hooked

769 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2006 :  05:48:44 AM  Show Profile  Send Becky in MO a Yahoo! Message Send Becky in MO a Private Message
I understand your concern - for they are quite sharp. If I were in your shoes, I would pack those in my suit case and take some different needles on board with me - if you wanted to keep working while flying. Then change the needles to what you really like when you are at your destination.
Go to Top of Page

babyduck
Chatty Knitter

USA
126 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2006 :  06:18:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit babyduck's Homepage Send babyduck a Private Message
Well, I thought I was going to go the safe route, but when I got to the airport I decided to go for it and I had absolutely no problems. On the flight home we got a thorough inspection - and I mean thorough. I thought for sure they would take them. They must've thought they looked like bullets because they inspected everything in our carry on's and swiped about 10 of those little explosive swabs. But they let me take them and didn't say anything about the needles.

Happy travels!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.94 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?