Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Worst Project Nightmare
 I give up
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lucienh
Honorary Angel

919 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2006 :  05:10:46 AM  Show Profile Send lucienh a Private Message
Elann's Crest of the Wave. How many times can you frog a project before the magic is gone and the silky yarn begins to look like mohair? Even though I think part of the problem is the way the pattern is written, I have to admit that some of it is my inability to count.
Maybe I'll try again some day. Maybe.

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2006 :  05:53:05 AM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message
Sorry to hear that this was such a pain.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2006 :  07:35:36 AM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message
Lucie go onto their site and into the chat area tell them the problem you are having and someone will get back to you pretty darn quick. They are very helpful. Ask me how I know?

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

amosellie
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
433 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2006 :  09:55:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit amosellie's Homepage Send amosellie a Private Message
Don't be too hard on yourself. Your head is just not in that project at the moment. Pick up something else - have a few successes and then come back. You will be amazed how the time and other success stories will put you right where you need to be for this project. Been there!!
Go to Top of Page

lucienh
Honorary Angel

919 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2006 :  11:35:44 AM  Show Profile Send lucienh a Private Message
Thanks for all your support and hints -- I've now started a Crst of the Wave shawl, figuring that if I can get the lace pattern automatic, I can come back (sometime) and try the tank again.
Go to Top of Page

gulf knitter
Seriously Hooked

USA
737 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2006 :  12:24:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit gulf knitter's Homepage Send gulf knitter a Private Message
Before I start a new lace project, I often knit a swatch or two in wash cloth yarn to learn & sometimes memorize the pattern(s). When I am done, I have something to show for my time, and am ready to start. Sarah.
Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2006 :  6:54:05 PM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
My ability to count always disappears when I start a new project, especially lace, so, like Sarah, I swatch first. I cast on enough sts. for a couple of repeats and plug away until I know that I understand what's supposed to happen.

You're definitely not alone in this. I have a couple of entries on my blog detailing my inability to count (lace issues I, II, etc.).

Barbara
It's a feature, not a bug.

Photos:
Blog:

Go to Top of Page

Chemcats
Permanent Resident

3337 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2006 :  03:46:53 AM  Show Profile Send Chemcats a Private Message
Boy, I am so happy to see that I am not alone in this. I get sooo frustrated. And I also wonder if I am loosing IQ...

Meribeth
Go to Top of Page

lucienh
Honorary Angel

919 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2006 :  05:42:04 AM  Show Profile Send lucienh a Private Message
Just an update -- the pattern eventually got into my fingers, and the shawl is going smoothly. I've followed suggestions from the lace forum about lifelines and markers and they really help. So I don't feel quite so frustrated. Meribeth, I was wondering about loss of IQ points, too; wasn't knitting supposed to help us keep them?
Go to Top of Page

ozknitter
Permanent Resident

Australia
3291 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2006 :  07:02:02 AM  Show Profile Send ozknitter a Private Message
Hi,

If that was me, luckily your not, it would be into the fire and long forgotten.

Knit in peace and harmony.

Rose in Melboune, Australia.
Go to Top of Page

KL
Permanent Resident

6041 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2006 :  07:16:59 AM  Show Profile Send KL a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Chemcats

Boy, I am so happy to see that I am not alone in this. I get sooo frustrated. And I also wonder if I am loosing IQ...

Meribeth

Meribeth- ou are not the only one ![:00]KL
Go to Top of Page

Calamintha
Permanent Resident

USA
2886 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2006 :  07:23:20 AM  Show Profile Send Calamintha a Private Message
If it's any consolation, I belong to a lot of lace lists and I've seen several complaints about some of the free patterns from Elann. There are definitely mistakes in some of the patterns.

Also, many of the patterns are not written in a clear, concise manner. They really need to employ someone to rewrite the patterns in a user friendly way. Unfortunately, knitters who want to try lace for the first time often seem attracted to these patterns and then wind up frustrated not realizing that the problem lies with the pattern not with them.

My advice would be to get a pattern from a company with an established reputation in lace like Fiddlesticks or try a book like Folk Shawls.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.84 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe