Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 The Curse of the Love Sweater?
 He's asked me to make him a sweater!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mamid
Permanent Resident

Canada
1568 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2006 :  10:44:03 PM  Show Profile  Send mamid a Yahoo! Message Send mamid a Private Message
Dp a few days ago asked me to knit him a sweater. It was a conversation we had over me knitting things for the family and he asked for a sweater, specifically a sleeveless hoody. I've told him to look through all my mags and patterns to see if he can find a pattern he likes.

But do I dare do it? Just because we've been together for so long and have 2.5 kids - literally!- would it be a good idea?

If he finds a pattern he wants, it'll mean both of us go to a LYS to get the yarn I'm going to need for it. This is going to be weird, but fun.

Any ideas on where to look for patterns too?

The Last Thread

Chemcats
Permanent Resident

3337 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2006 :  03:10:09 AM  Show Profile Send Chemcats a Private Message
Do it! I made one for my DH and he was excited and happy to try it on for fittings. It was as fun for him as it was for me.

Now I'm working on socks and when I say "I need your foot" he rips off his sock and puts his foot in my lap. With a smile on his face.

Meribeth
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2006 :  05:54:24 AM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message
Go for it.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

AuntieK
Warming Up

75 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2006 :  07:01:51 AM  Show Profile Send AuntieK a Private Message
I was knitting for years when my husband finally asked me to knit a sweater for him. It was the start of a yearly sweater ritual: he would tell me what type of sweater he wanted and I would go out, buy the yarn, find a pattern and ultimately re-design according to his wishes. Each year he wears the new sweater for the first time at either the Thanksgiving or Christmas family get togethers. One year HE went out and bought cashmere! because he always wanted a cashmere sweater.

It's been great fun for both of us. He has at least a dozen handmade sweaters now.

K
Go to Top of Page

Dejhia
Chatty Knitter

USA
131 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2006 :  07:39:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Dejhia's Homepage  Send Dejhia a Yahoo! Message Send Dejhia a Private Message
I say Do it. If he wants the sweater, than make it. If he's seen you knitting, then he already knows how much work a sweater will be. If he wants the sweater, than he wont' freak out about who much work you put into it.

Just keep him in the loop which it sounds like you are doing. Have him help pick out the pattern and the yarn. My DH gets a real kick out of helping to pick out yarn. And, this way, he's never disappointed that it's not what he wanted.

~ heather
www.dejhia.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Hermione
Chatty Knitter

USA
146 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2006 :  10:25:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hermione's Homepage Send Hermione a Private Message
I say go for it like the others, but maybe discuss the Curse of the Love Sweater with him first and see what he thinks about it ;)

~Hermione
http://zeeshortone.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2006 :  12:52:04 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
If he asked for it, do it, he really wants one. I don't believe in the curse of the love sweater. Just do the math. Most of us have had more boyfriends than husbands or committed relationships. If you have 6 boyfriends, make them each a sweater, marry one and the other 5 walk, does that really prove the sweaters were cursed? The curse of the love sweater is anecdotal in nature and that automatically means that it is scientifically flawed.

fran

http://martianmischief.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

susiknits
Permanent Resident

USA
1060 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2006 :  1:01:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit susiknits's Homepage  Send susiknits a Yahoo! Message Send susiknits a Private Message
IMHO, a LTR plus kids exempts the project from the curse. Especially if he asks for it.

-- susi

--That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.
Go to Top of Page

mamid
Permanent Resident

Canada
1568 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2006 :  2:33:00 PM  Show Profile  Send mamid a Yahoo! Message Send mamid a Private Message
if you say so... I wouldn't put it past him to take the sweater and run since that's what has happened to many women I know. Not that they made him a sweater, had a ltr and kids with the guy and he ran, but that she had kids with the guy, an ltr and he still ran.

I'm not saying he will but unless he talks to me about the sweater before I even start it, I'm not going even think about it.

The Last Thread
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2006 :  3:40:03 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
In my books once you've reproduced with someone a sweater is not going to make or break the relationship!

http://greenfishoutofwater.blogspot.com
www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

fitknit
Warming Up

Australia
73 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2006 :  11:29:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit fitknit's Homepage Send fitknit a Private Message
Mokey's got a point there,

Maybe the curse doesn't apply once you've had kids with him?

fi

http://fitknit.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Dances with Needles
Chatty Knitter

197 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2006 :  08:16:43 AM  Show Profile Send Dances with Needles a Private Message
He asked. You are including him in on the pattern and the yarn. Go for it. Oh check out Men in Knits, Knitting Without Tears, and Knitters Alamanack for good guy ideas. Be careful about letting him pick out a pattern and yarn by himself. It will be complicated and very expensive if you don't steer him a bit. Let him see the price of cashmere, the sticker shock will turn him to something more reasonable.

DWN
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.47 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?