Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Dyeing Discussion
 Natural Dyes
 Lime mordant additive
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

quirky
Chatty Knitter

329 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2006 :  9:34:01 PM  Show Profile Send quirky a Private Message
Recently while perusing the local market for alum in the canning section, I came across "pickling lime".
A quick call to the maker confirmed that this was an untra pure slaked lime and it is used instead of alum to achieve the same results on veggies. Namely to firm up the rind before pickling.

Making the amazing leap between pickling and mordants I decided to do a bit of research. On Drea Leeds Elizabethan Costuming pages I came across some references to using lime as a sort of post mordant, pre-dye, dip. In one case the lime was used as a mordant itself.
The lime used was slaked lime.

So I am wondering if anyone out there has experimented with lime and what were your results.

(I have to squeeze in a disclaimer. If you are not familiar with lime, please read up about it before using it in your dye concoctions. Lime is dangerous stuff and proper eye and skin protection needs to be worn at all times. A face mask isnt a bad idea either.)

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.36 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe