Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Knitter's Review Retreat details and Sheepshow
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Lace Forum
 Tiger Eye Lace Scarf - Please HELP!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Solaris
Permanent Resident

Canada
4159 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2006 :  4:06:25 PM  Show Profile Send Solaris a Private Message
Sorry if someone posted on this before in this forum, but I just don't get the pattern (I'm a relative knitting newbie), and I desperately want to make this scarf.

Here is a link to picture and pattern:

http://www.tmooka.net/blogs/stitchingirl/patterns/tigereyescarf.pdf

What does a "no stitch" mean? (the gray squares)
Someone said that it just means skip the stitch - skip how? Meaning slip stitch?

I tried just "slipping" those stitches, but as soon as I get to the end of 4-th row, I seem to be short 2 stitches on the needle (notice, there are 2 "no stitch" squares in that row). I cast on 31 stitches, just like the instructions say, I maintained the 3 edge sts on either side, too. What am I doing wrong?
Maybe it is the 4 yo's in a row? How do you execute them properly?
And how do you execute stitches that will come above those yo's properly? I mean, is there a special technique, or are they just your basic yo's?

I know that some of you already finished this scarf, with beautiful results(judging by your pictures in another forum), so I know that the pattern is do-able.

Please, pleeeeeeeeeeeease help me figure this pattern out.

Solaris

sarakate
Seriously Hooked

USA
818 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2006 :  4:20:33 PM  Show Profile Send sarakate a Private Message
A "no stitch" box means that the chart is wider than the number of stitches you actually have for the row you're on. It's used to improve the layout of the chart so that it's more representative of what the knitting will look like. Just ignore the box, do *nothing* with any stitches for it, and go to the next box that has an actual instruction in it. For example, on row 4, you will knit the last stitch before the first no-stitch box, and then immediately do the k3tog on the very next 3 stitches.

To do 4 YOs in a row, you simply wrap the yarn around the needle 4 times. On the next row, you'll be doing alternating knits and purls into the 4 loops thus created; this is what gives you the really large hole for the "eyes".
Go to Top of Page

Chayah
Permanent Resident

1926 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2006 :  4:37:39 PM  Show Profile Send Chayah a Private Message
This is lovely, I am going to try it. I have never been able to read charts, this one looks manageable. Thanks for the explanation, and for posting the pattern link,Solaris and Sarakate.
Chayah
Go to Top of Page

WendyB
Permanent Resident

3262 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2006 :  5:30:45 PM  Show Profile Send WendyB a Private Message
Yes, don't be daunted by the four yarnovers, and just treat those like regular stitches on the next round. I loved making this scarf.

Which yarn are you using, Solaris (or Chayah)? I used Louet Gems Sport Weight Quartz.
Go to Top of Page

Chayah
Permanent Resident

1926 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2006 :  5:44:37 PM  Show Profile Send Chayah a Private Message
Wendy, I just printed it out,so I don't know. I have a couple of things to finish first. Thank you for the yarn suggestion, I will check it out.
C.
Go to Top of Page

Solaris
Permanent Resident

Canada
4159 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2006 :  6:17:50 PM  Show Profile Send Solaris a Private Message
IT WORKS!!! I just made all 16 rows without a hitch!

THANK YOU, SARAKATE. Thank you all for your suggestions and support. It turned out to be sooooooo simple!

As for the yarn, I am practicing first on an old scrap of acrylic yarn (you know, lots of frogging at first - don't want to dive into the good yarn and ruin it), but I want to use either lace or fingering weight wool (don't know the brand - I bought it at a big discount at the Creative Sewing and Needlework Festival and it had no labels, but I know it is wool).

Solaris
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.8 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?