Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Knitter's Review Retreat details and Sheepshow
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Lace Forum
 Help- Flower Basket Lace Shawl Cast Off
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

babyduck
Chatty Knitter

USA
126 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2006 :  9:45:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit babyduck's Homepage Send babyduck a Private Message
I just started the cast off for the flower basket lace shawl and am confused about the process. I finished the chart (row 11 which was a RS row) and the cast off row says it's row 12, but it looks as if it should be a right side row (not a wrong side row which row 12 is). I've worked about 1/4 of the stitches and the wrong side of my work looks like the right side of the shawl in the photo. Yikes.

Has anyone done this one recently enough to remember if they did the cast off from the right side or the wrong side? (i.e. did you work an extra purl row after row 11 before you do the cast off row?)

Thanks!!!

ceecee
Permanent Resident

1896 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2006 :  04:51:18 AM  Show Profile Send ceecee a Private Message
It's been a while since I finished the FBS but I took quick look at the instructions and I believe you cast off on the wrong side (row 12). You do a *knit*ted cast off (even though you'd been previously purling on the wrong side) to help prevent curling at the edges since the pattern is stockinette-based. The cast-off given is also a loose one so the edge can scallop nicely. Congrats for finishing a lovely pattern.
Go to Top of Page

babyduck
Chatty Knitter

USA
126 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2006 :  08:54:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit babyduck's Homepage Send babyduck a Private Message
Ok, that's what I did and it looks fine now that it's blocked. Looked a little weird last night pre-blocked.

Thanks!!
Emily
Go to Top of Page

WendyB
Permanent Resident

3262 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2006 :  09:00:25 AM  Show Profile Send WendyB a Private Message
Congratulations on finishing, Emily. I have this pattern. too.
Go to Top of Page

babyduck
Chatty Knitter

USA
126 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2006 :  6:42:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit babyduck's Homepage Send babyduck a Private Message
Yeah - it's finished blocking and I love it!

Here's a link to my blog if anybody wants to check it out. I included a detail picture of the edging too.http://knitsmartt.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

KathyR
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
2969 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2006 :  2:59:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit KathyR's Homepage Send KathyR a Private Message
Looks great, Emily! I really want to make this shawl but so many other things have got in the way. One day, though! I love your birthday present, too. So cute. Happy birthday!

KathyR
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
Go to Top of Page

abbierose
Seriously Hooked

USA
985 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2006 :  3:54:06 PM  Show Profile Send abbierose a Private Message
Very pretty!!!!

Melissa
Tia Knits
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.28 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by