Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Worst Project Nightmare
 I need to vent
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CraftyGrammy
Chatty Knitter

USA
194 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2006 :  07:10:29 AM  Show Profile Send CraftyGrammy a Private Message
I just need to vent! I can't believe that I did what I did. I just finished a beautiful sweater for my granddaughter out of the Debbie Bliss Cathay. It has a beautiful drape and is very soft. I was sewing on the buttons and decided to use backer buttons. After sewing on a few I thought they were a little too tight making them hard to button. The next button I sewed on a put a toothpick between the thread and the backer button to loosen and it turned out just right. So...I thought, let me take off the other buttons and do them over. Since the Cathay splits and my thread was such a good match.. you guessed it.. I cut the yarn instead of the thread.. After cursing myself out for a few minutes, I took a deep breath and thought, ok, I have an extra skein of yarn, so I will just rip out the border and do it over. It was fine ripping out until I came to the last rip out row and came to the spots where I wove my ends in and tacked them down, with that thread that matched so well.. So now I have more splitting of the yarn and thread in there somewhere. Another problem is that I know there are two spots that I joined a new skein in and do not want to cut those strands too short so I can weave them in later. I hate putting things down, once I am started, but I think I need to take at least 1 day off.. Sorry to ramble, I just needed a "woe is me" moment.

CraftyGrammy

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2006 :  07:49:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
I sympathize with you on how frustrated you must feel. I've done similar things to finished items that cause me to wonder what in the world was I thinking. I suppose you could label it "the perils of perfectionism." The really annoying thing is that if your granddaughter is over the age of 7 she's never going to button the sweater anyway!

GFTC of NYC

the pictures tell the story
www.flickr.com/photos/gftc_knits/
Go to Top of Page

suzannevh
Gabber Extraordinaire

565 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2006 :  08:53:17 AM  Show Profile Send suzannevh a Private Message
Oh I'm sorry...how frustrating. I think you are right to put it down for a day or two otherwise your frustration might make it harder to fix.

Check out my project pics http://www.flickr.com/photos/suzannehandicrafts/
Go to Top of Page

Mama Bear
Gabber Extraordinaire

417 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2006 :  08:59:15 AM  Show Profile Send Mama Bear a Private Message
Oh my! I feel for you! I can empathize all too well.

Mama Bear

[img]http://beartoes.com/images/bearbutton.jpg[/img]
My Blog:www.beartoes.com
Go to Top of Page

RoseM
Permanent Resident

Canada
1898 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2006 :  10:12:35 AM  Show Profile Send RoseM a Private Message
Yes - you deserve a 'woe is me' moment! Hope things go better when you pick it up again.

RoseM
Go to Top of Page

CraftyGrammy
Chatty Knitter

USA
194 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2006 :  6:48:58 PM  Show Profile Send CraftyGrammy a Private Message
Thank you ladies for the consoling. I couldn't do it.. I could not wait and give myself a days rest. I made a cup of tea and put my feet up and took another look at my mess. I got my border ripped out and picked up my stitches with the extra skein of yarn. (Now I know why I always get that extra skein}. I completed the border and have sewn my buttons on and it is finished! I weaved in a few extra strands of splitted yarn, but all is well. You are probably right. The sweater will probably never be buttoned. I even put another order in for more Cathay yarn. Even with the splitting it knitted up just beautifully. Hope it washes and wears well. Like I told my children when they were young and did something foolish,"You will never do that again", and hopefully I won't.

CraftyGrammy
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2006 :  05:18:34 AM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message
Sorry to hear about the disaster. Glad you were able to save it.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

onemorerow
Gabber Extraordinaire

424 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2006 :  6:39:56 PM  Show Profile Send onemorerow a Private Message
I just frogged a sweater I made for myself in Cathay. It was a cardigan in a Pure and Simple pattern. I used size 9 needles to get the gauge. The sweater just looked so loose and stretchy, and it just did not hang right. Hated it enough to frog it when all but one sleeve was left to do as I knew I would never wear it. I am wondering if I would like this yarn better in smaller needles and a different pattern. I was so dissappointed as I really liked this yarn when I saw it in the store, feels so nice and soft and I didn't think splitting was that big of an issue. Any suggestions?????

c
Go to Top of Page

CraftyGrammy
Chatty Knitter

USA
194 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2006 :  06:49:04 AM  Show Profile Send CraftyGrammy a Private Message
Sorry that your project did not work out. It is suggested to use Cathay as a dk weight. Using a smaller stitch would give it more body. I used it as a dk and my sweater had squares of moss stitch and moss stitch hearts squares. I don't think the cathay showed precise stitch defination, but the overall look was delicate. I think you would be pleased if you found a dk pattern to use it for. Splitting was not too bad while knitting, but the ends unwinded for weaving. That is why I tacked them down.

CraftyGrammy
Go to Top of Page

DebbiOH
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
525 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2006 :  10:22:45 AM  Show Profile Send DebbiOH a Private Message
You are like a Marine, Crafty Grandma. You overcame and adapted. You go Grandma!!!!

Debbi
NW Ohio
Go to Top of Page

onemorerow
Gabber Extraordinaire

424 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2006 :  11:04:01 AM  Show Profile Send onemorerow a Private Message
What size needles did you use on your granddaughters sweater and what gauge did you get? I tried using size 7 last night and got 22 st to the inch. I wasn't sure if that was too tight of a look. What do you think? Thanks for your advice.
Go to Top of Page

CraftyGrammy
Chatty Knitter

USA
194 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2006 :  2:01:20 PM  Show Profile Send CraftyGrammy a Private Message
You are right on for gauge. My pattern's gauge was 22 sts using a size 7 needle and it worked perfectly. It probably looked tight to you because you were using it for a worsted weight pattern with larger needles. The look you have now is the way it is recommended to be. Good Luck..

CraftyGrammy
Go to Top of Page

onemorerow
Gabber Extraordinaire

424 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2006 :  2:39:42 PM  Show Profile Send onemorerow a Private Message
Thanks for your help. I will try and reknit this yarn in a different sweater pattern I have with the new gauge.
Go to Top of Page

~bananaKnits~
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2006 :  2:25:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit ~bananaKnits~'s Homepage  Send ~bananaKnits~ a Yahoo! Message Send ~bananaKnits~ a Private Message
I have had the very same problem, I too ended up frogging the whole thing and starting over. It broke my heart but "Oh well" I've always said that it was the journey I loved and the destination is just a bonus.

I love getting thread matching exactly and when I sew a button on it's not going anywhere. But my eyes are not what they used to be. Now I only rip out thread like that in the bright sunshine and sometimes I use a magnifying glass.

Happy Knitting,

ana

http://bananaknits.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.75 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by