Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 No Yarn for 1-Month Group
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 50

Susan T-O
Permanent Resident

USA
2481 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2003 :  5:31:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Susan T-O's Homepage Send Susan T-O a Private Message
I was ABOUT to say, "As long as I can spin more yarn with the fiber I already have, I will join in the pledge--I will not buy any new fiber for a month." Then I remembered I'm going to the Renaissance Faire on Saturday, and I'm sure Lady of the Lake will be there with some colors I just HAVE to have. . . . OK, OK, I'm in--no fiber from today (5/15) until one month from now (6/15). But on 6/17, the fiber shops better hold on to their hats!!!!

--Susan T-O

Two parrots are sitting on a perch, and one says to the other, "Do you smell fish?"
Go to Top of Page

Susan T-O
Permanent Resident

USA
2481 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2003 :  5:31:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Susan T-O's Homepage Send Susan T-O a Private Message
I was ABOUT to say, "As long as I can spin more yarn with the fiber I already have, I will join in the pledge--I will not buy any new fiber for a month." Then I remembered I'm going to the Renaissance Faire on Saturday, and I'm sure Lady of the Lake will be there with some colors I just HAVE to have. . . . OK, OK, I'm in--no fiber from today (5/15) until one month from now (6/15). But on 6/17, the fiber shops better hold on to their hats!!!!

--Susan T-O

Two parrots are sitting on a perch, and one says to the other, "Do you smell fish?"
Go to Top of Page

Susan T-O
Permanent Resident

USA
2481 Posts

--Susan T-O

Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2003 :  5:39:49 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Count me in. I, actually, don't need any more yarn. I should take a page from my friend Jennie's book--no yarn until I use all I have. Sounds good doesn't it. Take care. Beverley

PS: I take it we are on the honor system.

"Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live!"

Bev
Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Count me in. I, actually, don't need any more yarn. I should take a page from my friend Jennie's book--no yarn until I use all I have. Sounds good doesn't it. Take care. Beverley

Bev
Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Bev
Go to Top of Page

Susan T-O
Permanent Resident

USA
2481 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2003 :  5:54:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Susan T-O's Homepage Send Susan T-O a Private Message
Oh, just for clarification: what if my HUSBAND buys fiber and gives it to me? That doesn't count, right?

Go to Top of Page

Susan T-O
Permanent Resident

USA
2481 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2003 :  5:54:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Susan T-O's Homepage Send Susan T-O a Private Message
Oh, just for clarification: what if my HUSBAND buys fiber and gives it to me? That doesn't count, right?

Go to Top of Page

Marg in Mirror
Permanent Resident

Canada
3205 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2003 :  5:55:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Marg in Mirror's Homepage  Send Marg in Mirror a Yahoo! Message Send Marg in Mirror a Private Message
Ummm...I dunno...I'd like to be counted in, but I have an appointment at Shuttleworks (http://www.shuttleworks.com) on May 30th...If I just buy a spindle and a teensy bit of roving (plus the CottonFleece previously ordered)...???

I'll do my best!!

-- Marg in Calgary

TLWKOTB
Go to Top of Page

Marg in Mirror
Permanent Resident

Canada
3205 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2003 :  5:55:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Marg in Mirror's Homepage  Send Marg in Mirror a Yahoo! Message Send Marg in Mirror a Private Message
Ummm...I dunno...I'd like to be counted in, but I have an appointment at Shuttleworks (http://www.shuttleworks.com) on May 30th...If I just buy a spindle and a teensy bit of roving (plus the CottonFleece previously ordered)...???

I'll do my best!!

-- Marg in Calgary

TLWKOTB
Go to Top of Page

mtchen
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2003 :  8:30:33 PM  Show Profile Send mtchen a Private Message
Wow...I didn't realize so many people want to do the same thing. Now I'm REALLY determined not to buy anything!

Yes to clarify, we're on the honor system...however please spill if you do buy yarn and need some scolding!

I just figured out a way for myself not to be tempted...if I buy yarn between now and 6/15, for every ball/skein I buy, I'll have to not buy anything for another 2 weeks!

PS. Getting yarn as a gift I think is OK...as long as you don't spend your own money...

PPS. Marg, I think buying small samples is OK...a spindle however...??? But I think ultimately you can determine the extent of your commitment to this pact. For me, I'm going to spend $0 on yarn or any fiber-related items until 6/15.

Go to Top of Page

mtchen
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2003 :  8:30:33 PM  Show Profile Send mtchen a Private Message
Wow...I didn't realize so many people want to do the same thing. Now I'm REALLY determined not to buy anything!

Yes to clarify, we're on the honor system...however please spill if you do buy yarn and need some scolding!

I just figured out a way for myself not to be tempted...if I buy yarn between now and 6/15, for every ball/skein I buy, I'll have to not buy anything for another 2 weeks!

PS. Getting yarn as a gift I think is OK...as long as you don't spend your own money...

PPS. Marg, I think buying small samples is OK...a spindle however...??? But I think ultimately you can determine the extent of your commitment to this pact. For me, I'm going to spend $0 on yarn or any fiber-related items until 6/15.

Go to Top of Page

Marg in Mirror
Permanent Resident

Canada
3205 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2003 :  8:37:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Marg in Mirror's Homepage  Send Marg in Mirror a Yahoo! Message Send Marg in Mirror a Private Message
quote:

mtchen...Being a beginning (or more like a wanna-be) spinner, I haven't found a lot of spindle resources, and this is a place I've been and bought from and can trust, so...Yes, a spindle!!

-- Marg

TLWKOTB
Go to Top of Page

Marg in Mirror
Permanent Resident

Canada
3205 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2003 :  8:37:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Marg in Mirror's Homepage  Send Marg in Mirror a Yahoo! Message Send Marg in Mirror a Private Message
quote:

mtchen...Being a beginning (or more like a wanna-be) spinner, I haven't found a lot of spindle resources, and this is a place I've been and bought from and can trust, so...Yes, a spindle!!

-- Marg

TLWKOTB
Go to Top of Page

SandyD
Chatty Knitter

216 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2003 :  8:42:10 PM  Show Profile Send SandyD a Private Message
Speaking of yarn addiction, has anyone else tried to develop an objective criteria that the yarn must pass before buying? Here's mine:

1) It must be in a color that I love and that looks good on me (although it may be intended for someone else, I could end up stuck with it .)
2) It's got to be in the DK to chunky range because that's what I have the needles for.
3) It's got to frog easily if past projects are any indication (oops, that rules out the mohair I bought last fall ).
4) It must be pleasant to knit with. Guess I have rough skin because rayon fibers or a novelty yarn with a fuzzy roving tends to catch on my skin, and I don't like having to lotion up right before knitting.
5) It has to feel good against the skin, not itchy.
6) If it's a variegated yarn, I must see it knitted up before buying. This is after a purchase of yarn that had all the colors I liked, but knitted up, looked a bit strange .
7) If I already have a few yarns in my stash in the same color, I'm less likely to buy it. (how many varieties of plum does one really need ?)
8) It has to be washable, not dry clean only.
9) Price--I'm not confident yet in my ability to pick the perfect yarn for the perfect pattern so don't want to spend more that $40 per sweater (ok, maybe I'd spend more for my husband, since he needs more skeins!). That's why it's close-outs & oddballs for me; though come to think of it, I would have saved money by paying retail for one or two yarn selections at LYS, instead of my ton of Internet bargains !

Anyways, count me in until at least June 15th! (mtchen, are knitting patterns and books also not allowed; whenever I don't buy yarn my shopping history shows that I buy those instead!!!!
Go to Top of Page

SandyD
Chatty Knitter

216 Posts

Speaking of yarn addiction, has anyone else tried to develop an objective criteria that the yarn must pass before buying? Here's mine:

1) It must be in a color that I love and that looks good on me (although it may be intended for someone else, I could end up stuck with it .)
2) It's got to be in the DK to chunky range because that's what I have the needles for.
3) It's got to frog easily if past projects are any indication (oops, that rules out the mohair I bought last fall ).
4) It must be pleasant to knit with. Guess I have rough skin because rayon fibers or a novelty yarn with a fuzzy roving tends to catch on my skin, and I don't like having to lotion up right before knitting.
6) If it's a variegated yarn, I must see it knitted up before buying. This is after a purchase of yarn that had all the colors I liked, but knitted up, looked a bit strange .
7) If I already have a few yarns in my stash in the same color, I'm less likely to buy it. (how many varieties of plum does one really need ?)
9) Price--I'm not confident yet in my ability to pick the perfect yarn for the perfect pattern so don't want to spend more that $40 per sweater (ok, maybe I'd spend more for my husband, since he needs more skeins!). That's why it's close-outs & oddballs for me; though come to think of it, I would have saved money by paying retail for one or two yarn selections at LYS, instead of my ton of Internet bargains !

Anyways, count me in until at least June 15th! (mtchen, are knitting patterns and books also not allowed; whenever I don't buy yarn my shopping history shows that I buy those instead!!!!
Go to Top of Page

SandyD
Chatty Knitter

216 Posts

Go to Top of Page

M. Shawn
Chatty Knitter

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2003 :  8:54:57 PM  Show Profile Send M. Shawn a Private Message
I have been SOOOO good lately. I have a cedar chest FULL of yarn. It's so full that I can't close it completely. In the last several weeks (about 3 weeks) I haven't bought anything that I didn't plan to knit right away. And, since I only work on one project at a time, I haven't bought much yarn. But, I've got TONS to knit up and am flat broke after paying my taxes and would LOVE to have some support as I keep perservering. It's been hard because I usually haunt my favorite knitting store every weekend and, because I have little will power, have had to avoid her shop like the plague. I miss Valerie and her store! However, before you agree to let me join the group, I have one little teensy confession. I'm going to visit some friends in Sweden for the last two weeks of the No Yarn Buying Month. I've already arranged with them to visit yarn stores while I'm there and am planning to buy yarn for a project that I've planned to start later this year (and for my knitting group). Can I join the No Yarn Group and receive a special dispensation for the trip to Sweden? I'll even volunteer to tack on additional two weeks after I get back. Please say yes!

M. Shawn
Go to Top of Page

M. Shawn
Chatty Knitter

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2003 :  8:54:57 PM  Show Profile Send M. Shawn a Private Message
I have been SOOOO good lately. I have a cedar chest FULL of yarn. It's so full that I can't close it completely. In the last several weeks (about 3 weeks) I haven't bought anything that I didn't plan to knit right away. And, since I only work on one project at a time, I haven't bought much yarn. But, I've got TONS to knit up and am flat broke after paying my taxes and would LOVE to have some support as I keep perservering. It's been hard because I usually haunt my favorite knitting store every weekend and, because I have little will power, have had to avoid her shop like the plague. I miss Valerie and her store! However, before you agree to let me join the group, I have one little teensy confession. I'm going to visit some friends in Sweden for the last two weeks of the No Yarn Buying Month. I've already arranged with them to visit yarn stores while I'm there and am planning to buy yarn for a project that I've planned to start later this year (and for my knitting group). Can I join the No Yarn Group and receive a special dispensation for the trip to Sweden? I'll even volunteer to tack on additional two weeks after I get back. Please say yes!

M. Shawn
Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
Permanent Resident

USA
2310 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2003 :  10:16:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit schoolmama's Homepage Send schoolmama a Private Message
ROFL. You guys are great! I think I need to be in this group, too! I had just decided no more FABRIC until we make up some of this stuff we have...dd and I. Since she started sewing, we are accumulating even more. I want to do this no buying thing for both yarn and fabric. I am going on vacation next week to Fla. and I don't plan to go to any yarn stores, don't even know if there are any where we are going--maybe selling a lot of cotton?? So, I think I need to do the same thing with the yarn I have--make it up, not buy some more. I am finding I only have so much time to knit, or sew, and can't make everything I would like to, Sooo, that means, be more choosy about what I really want to make and what to make it from. Also, my house is a bit crowded since 21 yr. old ds moved back in while he is going to college. Too many expenses to survive out there on his own. We did move a bunch of fabric and yarn to the big shed in the back after cleaning it recently--threw out about 17 leaf bags of trash and many boxes!! It's almost like a room out there now. Packed everything in plastic boxes, etc. and put some lavender in with the wool stuff. Also, M. Shawn, I think you should be allowed your already planned little trip...add some days or whatever you like afterwards! Barb

"OF ALL THE THINGS I HAVE LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST!"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 50 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 6.66 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.