Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 No Yarn for 1-Month Group
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 50

mtchen
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2003 :  2:24:07 PM  Show Profile Send mtchen a Private Message
This sounds kind of silly...but...

Due to my out-of-control stash, I'm trying to not buy yarn for 1 month (to start with anyway). Does anyone want to join me and form a pact? I've tried doing it by myself and alas...I couldn't resist the temptations. This way I may have more resolve!

Anyway, send a post if you'd like to join!!

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2003 :  2:32:43 PM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
I did that last month. Not perfectly. but I didn't buy yarn for a few weeks and then only to help out a new LYS. I do need to keep things under control long term. It's one thing to have an obsession, quite another to have an idol.

I'm trying to keep myself from starting too many projects at once. I've done a swatch for an Aran sweater, and started swatching a top down raglan with some luscious yarn I bought at the sheep festival. If I start working on those sweaters for me I won't want to finish the sweater I'm doing for DH. Sigh.

Anita

See my completed projects!
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=977585&uid=619962&members=1
Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2003 :  2:32:43 PM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
I did that last month. Not perfectly. but I didn't buy yarn for a few weeks and then only to help out a new LYS. I do need to keep things under control long term. It's one thing to have an obsession, quite another to have an idol.

I'm trying to keep myself from starting too many projects at once. I've done a swatch for an Aran sweater, and started swatching a top down raglan with some luscious yarn I bought at the sheep festival. If I start working on those sweaters for me I won't want to finish the sweater I'm doing for DH. Sigh.

Anita

See my completed projects!
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=977585&uid=619962&members=1
Go to Top of Page

mtchen
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2003 :  2:36:37 PM  Show Profile Send mtchen a Private Message
So are you in, Anita??

Go to Top of Page

mtchen
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2003 :  2:36:37 PM  Show Profile Send mtchen a Private Message
So are you in, Anita??

Go to Top of Page

trixie2020
Chatty Knitter

206 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2003 :  2:58:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit trixie2020's Homepage Send trixie2020 a Private Message
Oooh... I REALLY should join this group. Let's see, that would put me at no yarn until June 15th. I don't know if I can do that. If I join, I will have to stick to the "no yarn" rule bc I won't be able to fib to you guys! I'll think about it. If I don't "join" I'll certainly give you my support!

Jen M

"Me, ambivalent? Well, yes and no..."

www.monkeyknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

trixie2020
Chatty Knitter

206 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2003 :  2:58:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit trixie2020's Homepage Send trixie2020 a Private Message
Oooh... I REALLY should join this group. Let's see, that would put me at no yarn until June 15th. I don't know if I can do that. If I join, I will have to stick to the "no yarn" rule bc I won't be able to fib to you guys! I'll think about it. If I don't "join" I'll certainly give you my support!

Jen M

Go to Top of Page

trixie2020
Chatty Knitter

206 Posts

Jen M

Go to Top of Page

SandyD
Chatty Knitter

216 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2003 :  3:17:09 PM  Show Profile Send SandyD a Private Message
What a coincidence! I've been trying to do the same thing--my downfall is being an Elann subscriber so whenever their sample skeins come at the beginning of the month, I'm awfully tempted. I have a circle with Elann and a slash drawn through it on the magnetic white board on my refrigerator in clear view so husband and children can see it. What's especially bad is when you check the site and see a closeout or oddball offering selling out fast, you think you're missing out on something really special--what's the saying about human nature and desire, because someone else desires something it makes it all the more desirable to oneself? Also the last chance mentality also kicks in, when it's gone, that's it. So I have to remind myself, there will always be other desirable yarns in the future, and there always is.
Anyways, I think I've indulged enough already--at last count I had 11 boxes from Elann and two from Webs! So count me in on the pact deal. My garden and housekeeping/organizing can only benefit from the extra time away from yarn obsession!

Go to Top of Page

SandyD
Chatty Knitter

216 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2003 :  3:17:09 PM  Show Profile Send SandyD a Private Message
What a coincidence! I've been trying to do the same thing--my downfall is being an Elann subscriber so whenever their sample skeins come at the beginning of the month, I'm awfully tempted. I have a circle with Elann and a slash drawn through it on the magnetic white board on my refrigerator in clear view so husband and children can see it. What's especially bad is when you check the site and see a closeout or oddball offering selling out fast, you think you're missing out on something really special--what's the saying about human nature and desire, because someone else desires something it makes it all the more desirable to oneself? Also the last chance mentality also kicks in, when it's gone, that's it. So I have to remind myself, there will always be other desirable yarns in the future, and there always is.
Anyways, I think I've indulged enough already--at last count I had 11 boxes from Elann and two from Webs! So count me in on the pact deal. My garden and housekeeping/organizing can only benefit from the extra time away from yarn obsession!

Go to Top of Page

kdcrowley
Permanent Resident

USA
4773 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2003 :  3:26:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit kdcrowley's Homepage Send kdcrowley a Private Message
Nope....I just did this imperfectly for Lent. Only one yarn purchase though of 30 dollars....But my group assures me that I will NOT need wool socks where I am going...

Perhaps a twist that would allow you to purchase only after shopping the stash......I would do that....

Any proviso for those of us who are spinners, and by the very nature, increase our yarn stash even as we reduce our fiber stash??

She who dyes the most stash wins!

Kelley

Everywhere you go, there you are! Imagine that....
Go to Top of Page

kdcrowley
Permanent Resident

USA
4773 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2003 :  3:26:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit kdcrowley's Homepage Send kdcrowley a Private Message
Nope....I just did this imperfectly for Lent. Only one yarn purchase though of 30 dollars....But my group assures me that I will NOT need wool socks where I am going...

Perhaps a twist that would allow you to purchase only after shopping the stash......I would do that....

Any proviso for those of us who are spinners, and by the very nature, increase our yarn stash even as we reduce our fiber stash??

Kelley

Go to Top of Page

kdcrowley
Permanent Resident

USA
4773 Posts

Kelley

Go to Top of Page

mtchen
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2003 :  3:26:38 PM  Show Profile Send mtchen a Private Message
Yes, the "On Clearance, almost out of stock!!" thing really works on me...quite the trick... that too is my weakness...yarn sales or closeouts...I don't even want to get started on eBay...

I bought a bunch of alpaca yarn recently that was first on sale at Knitpicks for $5.99 a ball. Then almost right after I bought it, it went on further sale and became $3.75 a ball. Argh! This irked me so much that I bought even more of that yarn since there were only 12 balls of a single color left according to the site. Of course right after I bought it, the next day I saw that they had put up about 8 more colors of that yarn for sale

OK, so Sandy D is in for sure, and JenM please let us know if/when you decide to join in...

In the meantime, whenever you are about to buy yarn, feel free to vent here on the boards and we'll stop you in your tracks!

Go to Top of Page

mtchen
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2003 :  3:26:38 PM  Show Profile Send mtchen a Private Message
Yes, the "On Clearance, almost out of stock!!" thing really works on me...quite the trick... that too is my weakness...yarn sales or closeouts...I don't even want to get started on eBay...

I bought a bunch of alpaca yarn recently that was first on sale at Knitpicks for $5.99 a ball. Then almost right after I bought it, it went on further sale and became $3.75 a ball. Argh! This irked me so much that I bought even more of that yarn since there were only 12 balls of a single color left according to the site. Of course right after I bought it, the next day I saw that they had put up about 8 more colors of that yarn for sale

OK, so Sandy D is in for sure, and JenM please let us know if/when you decide to join in...

In the meantime, whenever you are about to buy yarn, feel free to vent here on the boards and we'll stop you in your tracks!

Go to Top of Page

mtchen
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2003 :  3:31:53 PM  Show Profile Send mtchen a Private Message
Yes spinners are also welcome...as long as you don't want spend any money on yarn/fiber for 1 month, feel free to join us!

Kelley, I'm not quite sure what you mean by "purchase only after shopping the stash"...can you please explain?

Go to Top of Page

mtchen
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
564 Posts

Yes spinners are also welcome...as long as you don't want spend any money on yarn/fiber for 1 month, feel free to join us!

Kelley, I'm not quite sure what you mean by "purchase only after shopping the stash"...can you please explain?

Go to Top of Page

mtchen
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
564 Posts

Go to Top of Page

Milinda
Permanent Resident

USA
3817 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2003 :  5:22:23 PM  Show Profile Send Milinda a Private Message
Okay, Ladies, count me in, I'll do it with you, no yarn for a month! I am so glad I read this posting because I was about to succumb to some sale yarn which I need like another hole in the head.

M L
Go to Top of Page

Milinda
Permanent Resident

USA
3817 Posts

Okay, Ladies, count me in, I'll do it with you, no yarn for a month! I am so glad I read this posting because I was about to succumb to some sale yarn which I need like another hole in the head.

M L
Go to Top of Page

Milinda
Permanent Resident

USA
3817 Posts

M L
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 50 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 4.75 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.