Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Crochet Talk
 Random crochet-related chitchat
 knitting or crochet?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

pukvossen@hotmail.com
Chatty Knitter

Netherlands
110 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2006 :  12:16:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit pukvossen@hotmail.com's Homepage Send pukvossen@hotmail.com a Private Message
Hi,
I'm curious: Are you a real knitter only, or also a crocheter? I'm doing both, and like to do different projects at the same time. And in my opinion: crocheting goes faster, but is not as usefull for everything like knitted stuff is.

http://knittingajour.blogspot.com
http://photobucket.com/albums/v504/ajoursteek
groeten Puk

RachelG
Warming Up

75 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2006 :  03:36:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit RachelG's Homepage Send RachelG a Private Message
I'm basically an exclusive crocheter. I do know how to knit a little and am eager to learn more.

Rachel
http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com
http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com
http://www.crochetpatternroundup.com
Go to Top of Page

kjtendyke
Chatty Knitter

USA
216 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2006 :  04:00:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit kjtendyke's Homepage Send kjtendyke a Private Message
I began playing with yarn as a crocheter when I was very very young. I just recently picked up knitting, and I've been doing that almost exclusively for about a year now. I still go back to crocheting every now and then when I want something different. I like crochet more for lacey like things, knitting is definately better for solids.

~Kristen~

www.kristentendyke.com
Go to Top of Page

Quinacridone
Chatty Knitter

USA
123 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2006 :  05:30:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Quinacridone's Homepage Send Quinacridone a Private Message
I love to do both - and have one crochet project and one knitting project going on simultaneously. It seems that I've been doing a lot of crochet lately (just designed a long sweater wrap for a Vickie Howell book that will be coming out in 2007) and right now I'm doing a design in crochet with Euroflax Linen (a chain lace tunic/tank). That's a lot of crochet.
So after so much, when I pick up my needles with the cashmere on them - it feels good. My hands relax more when I knit, but I feel much more creative and free (less stressed) when I'm crocheting. Weird.

to view my art: http://members.cox.net/sherritzej

knitting blog/patterns/recipes: http://knittinginsteadofhousework.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Chayah
Permanent Resident

1926 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2006 :  06:30:28 AM  Show Profile Send Chayah a Private Message
I love both. I am about to knit a feather and fan shawl, then I plan to make the Vineyard granny afghan that was on Annie's Attic yesterday. In some ways I find crocheting easier, but I enjoy knitting too.
Go to Top of Page

PBELKNAP
Permanent Resident

USA
1136 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2006 :  07:17:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit PBELKNAP's Homepage Send PBELKNAP a Private Message
I like to do both -- I usually have a knitting project and a crocheting project going at the same time. I'm definitely more proficient at crocheting, but I'm slowly learning more about knitting. The one thing I like much better about crocheting is that joining pieces is so much easier--generally, crocheted pieces don't curl the way knitted pieces do! It's also much easier, depending on the crocheted stitch, to hide any ends/seams.
Go to Top of Page

pianogal
Seriously Hooked

629 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2006 :  11:11:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit pianogal's Homepage Send pianogal a Private Message
I just learned crochet... I think it's better for lacy items and sturdy cotton items like bags, but I prefer knitting for garments. Last year, crocheted garments and granny squares experienced a resurgence in popularity and I really wanted to learn to crochet. I'm glad I learned the skill, but I think that knitted garments will always be more timelessly "in style."

http://abeginningknitter.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

mudpie@thegraphiczone.net
Chatty Knitter

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2006 :  2:16:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit mudpie@thegraphiczone.net's Homepage Send mudpie@thegraphiczone.net a Private Message
I am both a "real" knitter and a "real" crocheter. I learned to crochet at the age of 6 (45 years ago) and I learned to knit 8 years later. I am much more confident with crochet, but tend to do more knit projects. In my opinion, most crocheted items are too bulky, and I am fluffy enough already. The same yarn swatched in knit and crochet will have a nicer "feel" in knit IMHO, and usually a better "drape". But for things that need to get done fast, crochet is my first choice.

Knit someone a scarf and they'll have an accessory; teach someone to knit and they'll be in stitches for the rest of their life.
Go to Top of Page

busygirl
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
1673 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2006 :  4:16:29 PM  Show Profile Send busygirl a Private Message

I can crochet,but only use crochet for items like doilies,baby sweaters and bootees,and granny squares.I am currently busy making a granny square throw,from yarn which was left over from knitted projects.
Knitting is my favourite craft,and it's something I do all the time,but I can't say the same with regard to crochet - I enjoy it,but only like to do it occasionally.

Leslie

My Pics
http://photos.yahoo.com/abreyleslie
My Blog
http://au.360.yahoo.com/abreyleslie
Go to Top of Page

lucienh
Honorary Angel

919 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2006 :  05:10:13 AM  Show Profile Send lucienh a Private Message
I started as a crocheter and am now an obsessed knitter. BTW, I've seen some suggestions that if you start with crochet, continental knitting seems to be easier, probably because of being used to having the yarn in the left hand. Certainly it's true for me. What about other crossovers?
Go to Top of Page

mrssuem
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
457 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2006 :  12:42:07 PM  Show Profile Send mrssuem a Private Message
Just taught myself to crochet and I must say, I'm glad I finally did. It goes so much faster then knitting especially when doing an afghan or 'lapghan'. I have two bachelor friends that I need Christmas gifts for every year and decided that each one would get a large granny square afghan, and hence I had to learn how to do it. Now that I've learned the secret of the granny square, can't wait to start on a baby blanker for someone I know. Sue
Go to Top of Page

gwenith
Chatty Knitter

USA
126 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2006 :  5:46:42 PM  Show Profile Send gwenith a Private Message
Both of course. But then I am the one, who learned to spin, because weaving tools cost too much.

Which tools, hooks or needles, I use depends on what I want in the finished fabric. Also depends on the character of the fibers and yarns. I enjoy having a good variety of tools - even if they only fit the job they are made for.

Some patterns - fabric, stitch, or garment/ item will translate from one tool used, to the other. Some won't.

I used to think crocheted fabric would not stretch like knitted does. Lately, I've been playing with variations of the tunisian basics. I can get a very stretchy fabric or a very rigid one. Wish I could find some old world communities using the technigues for everything, every day. I could learn so much from their work.

The afghan stitch patterns were my first crochet adventures 45 years ago. They made the rigid fabric. Now I'm thinking, (time traveling), that Tunisian stitches are sorta like a transition between weaving and knitting in human history.

But my first wool hand spun sweater, which I crocheted before I knew how to knit, weighed 7 pounds. After several years use and frogging, it became two knitted sweaters plus - - I've forgotten what else. :)gwenith
Go to Top of Page

datatech
New Pal

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2006 :  12:10:10 PM  Show Profile Send datatech a Private Message
I learned to crochet almost thirty years ago, and started to learn to knit about 2 1/2 years ago. I think. Anyway, I do both, and enjoy both.

As has been mentioned, crochet uses more yarn compared to knitting a similar garment. I think knitting is better for garments like sweaters, socks, and mittens, but crochet is just as good for scarves and hats. I like that in crochet, you are working with one loop at a time. If you have to frog back some rows, you only have to pick up one loop, but with knitting, you have multiple loops on the needle, and have to pick all of them up if you had to frog back. So, maybe crochet is better for the error-prone! ;-)

I try to have at least one project of each craft going. Usually, the crochet project is the easier, quicker one. Except for my never-ending, 15-color, change colors every two rows, afghan. I still don't know what I was thinking!

Ruth
Go to Top of Page

btchwstix
Chatty Knitter

Canada
208 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2007 :  8:49:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit btchwstix's Homepage Send btchwstix a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by pianogal

I just learned crochet... I think it's better for lacy items and sturdy cotton items like bags, but I prefer knitting for garments. Last year, crocheted garments and granny squares experienced a resurgence in popularity and I really wanted to learn to crochet. I'm glad I learned the skill, but I think that knitted garments will always be more timelessly "in style."

http://abeginningknitter.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Bethany
Permanent Resident

USA
1546 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2007 :  07:30:01 AM  Show Profile Send Bethany a Private Message
Crochet is definately easier to rip than knitting, but knitting also offers the possibility of going back to fix some mistakes without ripping. With crochet you pretty much have to either rip, fake somethinge, or ignore it.

I learned to crochet as a kid and just picked up knitting a little over a year ago. (Note that I definitely found continental easier. The English intructions made my head explode.) I like both of them although at the moment I seem to want to make more things that work better in knitting than in crochet. I definitely want to make that circular crochet duster from the new Drops, though. I suppose it may be true that crocheted lace garmets are less "classic" than knit garmets, but they sure are pretty... and comparitively fast.
Go to Top of Page

HomekeepingGran
Seriously Hooked

614 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2007 :  07:38:03 AM  Show Profile Send HomekeepingGran a Private Message
Both. But... I learned to crochet in the early 70s and have done it off and on over the years in a wide variety of projects. It's fast, easy and doesn't have to be stiff or heavy all those labels typically applied to crochet. All these years I've longed to knit and less than a year ago really got to business with learning how. I am still very much an amateur knitter but have no intention of quitting it. At the moment, I'm crocheting. Since I dislike having multiples of projects going at once I do not also have a knitting project going but want to start one as soon as my crochet mojo recedes.

Blessings,
Carla

She seeketh wool and flax and worketh willingly with her hands... Proverbs 31:13
Go to Top of Page

PBELKNAP
Permanent Resident

USA
1136 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2007 :  09:24:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit PBELKNAP's Homepage Send PBELKNAP a Private Message
I do both as well. I disagree about knitting being better for garments. If you hunt around, you can find plenty of patterns for crocheted pullovers, tank tops, tees, skirts, etc. that aren't too heavy. People I've come across lately seem to think that the granny stitch and afghans is it for crocheting; so of course, for them, it's inconceivable that one could use crocheting for wearables, too. Get the "Encyclopedia of Crochet" and you'll see that there are endless possibilities. Also, for wearables, get any of the crochet books by Melissa Leapman--I just love her patterns. Rita Weiss, also.

PAM

WIP = Project Linus Baby Blankets (2), 63 Cable Squares Aghan, Knitted Charity Squares

Completed this year = Knitted Baby Blanket (Estonian Lullaby)

If I could only do this for a living...
Go to Top of Page

temari
Gabber Extraordinaire

497 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2007 :  5:52:29 PM  Show Profile Send temari a Private Message
I learned to knit first (have no recollection of actually learning) and then learned to crochet and recall that learning process as feeling awkward. Now when I crochet, I find that I get an ache from my thumb to elbow, so I guess I'm a knitter.
Go to Top of Page

highdesertrose
Gabber Extraordinaire

Malta
544 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2007 :  4:32:09 PM  Show Profile Send highdesertrose a Private Message
I learned both in 5th grade at a Waldorf school, but didn't pick up both again until 30 years later. I tried Continental knitting, but even tho I was used to holding the yarn in my left hand, I found English more comfortable for the time being.

I currently knit more, but always have a crochet project going, usually something quick, such as a baby or regular blanket.

~Rena~
My DH isn't afraid of anything- oh, except for those two words- "yarn shop".
Go to Top of Page

fiddlerbird555
Permanent Resident

USA
1429 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2007 :  7:20:52 PM  Show Profile Send fiddlerbird555 a Private Message
I THINK my grandmother taught me to chain stitch -- that's the only explanation I have for why I do that (and only that) left-handed. I made a granny square afghan once upon a time, having had granny squares demonstrated. I never have figured out crocheting patterns, but have occasionally improvised (including a very soft baby harness that the older child was resentful not to have.) Other than that, I have picked up knitting every 15 years or so -- this is the first time my knitting spree has lasted for longer than 2 projects. I'm actually beginning to develop a certain amount of skill, based on the number of technical questions for which I can say, "I know that!"

I can go loopy, or I can knit. Your choice.
Go to Top of Page

queen of the east
Seriously Hooked

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2007 :  07:48:02 AM  Show Profile Send queen of the east a Private Message
I knit and crochet and frequently create items that combine both techniques. My most recent project was a scarf knit in Lattice Lace stitch. I wanted to finish the ends with an edging but didn't find a knit one that I liked so instead I did a crochet edge, Clover Leaf edging.
I am working on a sweater design using knitted motifs of starfish joined with filet crochet.
I'd like to learn other needlework techniques as well. I have always been fascinated with tatting and bobbin lace. One day I would like to design and make a garment of floral lace motifs done in several techniques.
There is tremendous versatility and variety in both knitting and crochet, the fabrics they produce can be very different but complimentary to one another.

Ann in Montreal
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.19 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.