Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A new whodunit about a true yarn whisperer
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Picky Knitted Gift-Recipients?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 15

aimee

Posted - 05/16/2003 :  06:33:54 AM  Show Profile Send aimee a Private Message
This may sound crazy but I rarely make something with the intent of giving it as a gift. I ususally start a project because I have found a pattern or yarn that I absolutely love. I knit the item (could be a scarf, baby sweater, adult item etc.) and put it in a large basket that I keep in the house. I also keep a large basket of yarn that I buy here and there. When friends and relatives are over the house they like to "stake a claim" to items. They get to choose the item they like- I put it away for them for Christmas etc. If they see something that they like, but the size is wrong I am happy to knit them exactly what they want. Any items that are left over get sold to raise money for my son's Little League. They also look throught he yarn and drop "massive hints" for items they would like to see in the finished basket.
Not everyone appreciates knit items - don't waste your time or talent. Knit because you love to knit and those who appreciate your handmade items will love to wear your gifts!
Go to Top of Page

aimee

Posted - 05/16/2003 :  06:33:54 AM  Show Profile Send aimee a Private Message
This may sound crazy but I rarely make something with the intent of giving it as a gift. I ususally start a project because I have found a pattern or yarn that I absolutely love. I knit the item (could be a scarf, baby sweater, adult item etc.) and put it in a large basket that I keep in the house. I also keep a large basket of yarn that I buy here and there. When friends and relatives are over the house they like to "stake a claim" to items. They get to choose the item they like- I put it away for them for Christmas etc. If they see something that they like, but the size is wrong I am happy to knit them exactly what they want. Any items that are left over get sold to raise money for my son's Little League. They also look throught he yarn and drop "massive hints" for items they would like to see in the finished basket.
Not everyone appreciates knit items - don't waste your time or talent. Knit because you love to knit and those who appreciate your handmade items will love to wear your gifts!
Go to Top of Page

naomi dagen bloom
New Pal

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2003 :  07:53:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit naomi dagen bloom's Homepage Send naomi dagen bloom a Private Message
here's a slightly different take. as a new grandmother, i was excited about knitting something imaginative (after a couple of pairs of booties, hat). so i used a lion brand online pattern and cotton yarn to make a corncob bunting. my knitting circle was delighted. but it really was not a particularly functional garment.
this was the beginning of my discovery, along with other new grandma knitters, that we need to look past the adorable books, etc., and find out what it is that will really be useful. in my case, my daughter does not have the time to handwash (or "lie flat to dry"). she enjoys a superwash sweater with hood i made--even though the hood is not used and the sleeves are rolled up...and the poncho-type thing that pops over the baby's head, has a snap under each arm.
you can see the corncob on zachary at my website, www.cityworm.com
and soon there will be more about fiber there.

naomi, composting in manhattan
Go to Top of Page

naomi dagen bloom
New Pal

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2003 :  07:53:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit naomi dagen bloom's Homepage Send naomi dagen bloom a Private Message
here's a slightly different take. as a new grandmother, i was excited about knitting something imaginative (after a couple of pairs of booties, hat). so i used a lion brand online pattern and cotton yarn to make a corncob bunting. my knitting circle was delighted. but it really was not a particularly functional garment.
this was the beginning of my discovery, along with other new grandma knitters, that we need to look past the adorable books, etc., and find out what it is that will really be useful. in my case, my daughter does not have the time to handwash (or "lie flat to dry"). she enjoys a superwash sweater with hood i made--even though the hood is not used and the sleeves are rolled up...and the poncho-type thing that pops over the baby's head, has a snap under each arm.
you can see the corncob on zachary at my website, www.cityworm.com
and soon there will be more about fiber there.

naomi, composting in manhattan
Go to Top of Page

mtchen
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2003 :  10:26:10 AM  Show Profile Send mtchen a Private Message
Magikaat...I would definitely stop sending your son the gifts...at least hold off until you get the appreciation you deserve! Also, next time you speak to him, make sure to ask about them. Tell him you would appreciate a nice note or email now and then. That is really not much to ask! In any case I would speak to him about it and tell him how you feel...he's your son after all

Go to Top of Page

mtchen
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2003 :  10:26:10 AM  Show Profile Send mtchen a Private Message
Magikaat...I would definitely stop sending your son the gifts...at least hold off until you get the appreciation you deserve! Also, next time you speak to him, make sure to ask about them. Tell him you would appreciate a nice note or email now and then. That is really not much to ask! In any case I would speak to him about it and tell him how you feel...he's your son after all

Go to Top of Page

mtchen
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2003 :  10:27:53 AM  Show Profile Send mtchen a Private Message
Shalee...my heart bleeds to hear your Fair Isle story!

Do you have any other grandchildren who are smaller to give them to?

Go to Top of Page

mtchen
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
564 Posts

Go to Top of Page

mtchen
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
564 Posts

Go to Top of Page

NaThornton@highstream.net

Posted - 05/16/2003 :  11:15:07 AM  Show Profile Send NaThornton@highstream.net a Private Message
I rarely keep the items that I knit. I mostly knit for the preschool auction and have knit quite a few baby items for my friends' babies.

I have to tell a story of a recipient of one of the baby sweaters and how I handled it. Not sure it was the right way to handle it but I did it nonetheless. This woman already has one son about 2 months younger than my son and had a baby girl back in January. We haven't done a whole lot together as friends but she babysat my daughter on several different occasions and I was excited for her with her new little baby (it took a long time for her to get pregnant the second time). I wanted to do something nice for her and I thought that she appreciated hand-made gifts. I found out by e-mail a day after she had the baby that she had it and so I got my needles out and knit her baby a sweater. A week later I had it finished and sent to her.

A month and a half went by and I didn't hear from her. I wrote her an e-mail to ask how she, the new baby and the family were doing with the new little bundle of joy and to make sure that received the present that I sent to her a month and a half ago. I made it seem like I was not 100% sure of her address but I knew that if the address wasn't correct, it was only off by one number and would have gotten to her anyway. I received an e-mail back from her about 3 days later and she was very appologetic and said she did receive the gift and thanked me. She also seemed a bit embarrased that she hadn't gotten back to me sooner. I have not heard from her since that last e-mail and it has been another 2 months.

I think it's rude not to acknowledge a gift. No matter what the gift is if it was handmade or not. Everyone has the right not to like a present, but it's incredibly rude to not acknowledge it. If that were me receiving the handmade sweater, I would have picked up the phone (depending on the time of day that I opened the gift) right away and thanked the person, followed by a handwritten note. I was taught to write hand written thank yous for gifts and strongly believe in that same practice nowadays. Apparently I am in the minority.

I could go on and on about the lack of graciousness nowadays. People that I don't receive thank yous from for a gift given to them doesn't receive any more gifts from me. Simple as that. I don't care if their lives have just become more hectic with a new baby or not. I always kept of list of what I was given, who gave it to me and wrote my thank yous within a week of receiving the gift. Having a new baby doesn't excuse a person from being courteous and thanking people for the lovely gifts they are given.

N
Go to Top of Page

Posted - 05/16/2003 :  11:15:07 AM  Show Profile Send NaThornton@highstream.net a Private Message
I rarely keep the items that I knit. I mostly knit for the preschool auction and have knit quite a few baby items for my friends' babies.

I have to tell a story of a recipient of one of the baby sweaters and how I handled it. Not sure it was the right way to handle it but I did it nonetheless. This woman already has one son about 2 months younger than my son and had a baby girl back in January. We haven't done a whole lot together as friends but she babysat my daughter on several different occasions and I was excited for her with her new little baby (it took a long time for her to get pregnant the second time). I wanted to do something nice for her and I thought that she appreciated hand-made gifts. I found out by e-mail a day after she had the baby that she had it and so I got my needles out and knit her baby a sweater. A week later I had it finished and sent to her.

A month and a half went by and I didn't hear from her. I wrote her an e-mail to ask how she, the new baby and the family were doing with the new little bundle of joy and to make sure that received the present that I sent to her a month and a half ago. I made it seem like I was not 100% sure of her address but I knew that if the address wasn't correct, it was only off by one number and would have gotten to her anyway. I received an e-mail back from her about 3 days later and she was very appologetic and said she did receive the gift and thanked me. She also seemed a bit embarrased that she hadn't gotten back to me sooner. I have not heard from her since that last e-mail and it has been another 2 months.

I think it's rude not to acknowledge a gift. No matter what the gift is if it was handmade or not. Everyone has the right not to like a present, but it's incredibly rude to not acknowledge it. If that were me receiving the handmade sweater, I would have picked up the phone (depending on the time of day that I opened the gift) right away and thanked the person, followed by a handwritten note. I was taught to write hand written thank yous for gifts and strongly believe in that same practice nowadays. Apparently I am in the minority.

I could go on and on about the lack of graciousness nowadays. People that I don't receive thank yous from for a gift given to them doesn't receive any more gifts from me. Simple as that. I don't care if their lives have just become more hectic with a new baby or not. I always kept of list of what I was given, who gave it to me and wrote my thank yous within a week of receiving the gift. Having a new baby doesn't excuse a person from being courteous and thanking people for the lovely gifts they are given.

N
Go to Top of Page

N
Go to Top of Page

N
Go to Top of Page

N
Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2003 :  12:48:54 PM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message
Some years ago I sent a friend a gift. She did not acknowledge and didn't acknowledge and I finally call and asked her if she received it. She is one the those people that always writes a hand thank you. Her answer was NO, so since then I like to e mail people and say I am putting a gift in the mail give them a date and ask them to e mail me when they receive. This pretty much prevents people from not letting you know. I would also be so angry if I spent time on 3 fair isle sweaters and none of them fit. I alway try to make too big and let them grow into. For kids this doesn't take too long. Although the first fair isle I knit for my gd she still is not into. Maybe this winter, she is 2 1/2 so it hasn't take too long. The rest of the sweaters all fit and are a little too big, but she can wear them while she grows into.

Zola
Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2003 :  12:48:54 PM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message
Some years ago I sent a friend a gift. She did not acknowledge and didn't acknowledge and I finally call and asked her if she received it. She is one the those people that always writes a hand thank you. Her answer was NO, so since then I like to e mail people and say I am putting a gift in the mail give them a date and ask them to e mail me when they receive. This pretty much prevents people from not letting you know. I would also be so angry if I spent time on 3 fair isle sweaters and none of them fit. I alway try to make too big and let them grow into. For kids this doesn't take too long. Although the first fair isle I knit for my gd she still is not into. Maybe this winter, she is 2 1/2 so it hasn't take too long. The rest of the sweaters all fit and are a little too big, but she can wear them while she grows into.

Zola
Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Zola
Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Zola
Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Zola
Go to Top of Page

Janice
Warming Up

USA
94 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2003 :  12:50:26 PM  Show Profile Send Janice a Private Message
My brother-in-law knocked himself off the people I'll knit for list when he asked me to go out to the mall with him because he had to buy a sweater the day after I gave him one of my better efforts. Humph!!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 15 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 3.28 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?