Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Can felt be fixed?
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Picky Knitted Gift-Recipients?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 15

mtchen
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2003 :  11:14:48 AM  Show Profile Send mtchen a Private Message
I've given most of my knitting away as gifts, but sometimes the people I give them to get extremely picky...like "Can you add more length to this scarf" or "This hat is too big, too small, color's too weird, I don't wear these things...etc." Or else they say "Oh yes I love it" but they never wear it. Is this typical? Should I be mad?? Does anyone else have this problem??

Sometimes I think I should just donate everything to charity instead. At least the people who eventually get the items are more likely to appreciate it more...

Milinda
Permanent Resident

USA
3817 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2003 :  11:39:37 AM  Show Profile Send Milinda a Private Message
I can relate completely to this, but I have weeded out the unappreciative from my gift-giving list. I'm with you, if someone can't appreciate the incredible love and time involved in handknitting, I would rather have a total stranger enjoy the item and wear it instead of it sitting, ignored in a closet. I'd appreciate anything you made if you gave it to me, LOL!

M L
Go to Top of Page

Milinda
Permanent Resident

USA
3817 Posts

I can relate completely to this, but I have weeded out the unappreciative from my gift-giving list. I'm with you, if someone can't appreciate the incredible love and time involved in handknitting, I would rather have a total stranger enjoy the item and wear it instead of it sitting, ignored in a closet. I'd appreciate anything you made if you gave it to me, LOL!

M L
Go to Top of Page

Milinda
Permanent Resident

USA
3817 Posts

M L
Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2003 :  11:51:41 AM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
I have not dealt witht his personally, but I've been told that some people think anything handmade is cheap. Like, you couldn't be bothered to go out and buy me something? Sheesh! Have they checked the price of yarn lately? And my time does not come cheap, either.

My handmade gifts were well received last Christmas. I even got a lovely thank you note from my 96 year old aunt, for whom I made a scarf. I think I would be really upset if someone disparaged my work. I admit I was a little nervous, but all went well.

Anita

See my completed projects!
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=977585&uid=619962&members=1
Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2003 :  11:51:41 AM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
I have not dealt witht his personally, but I've been told that some people think anything handmade is cheap. Like, you couldn't be bothered to go out and buy me something? Sheesh! Have they checked the price of yarn lately? And my time does not come cheap, either.

My handmade gifts were well received last Christmas. I even got a lovely thank you note from my 96 year old aunt, for whom I made a scarf. I think I would be really upset if someone disparaged my work. I admit I was a little nervous, but all went well.

Anita

See my completed projects!
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=977585&uid=619962&members=1
Go to Top of Page

Hello Knitty
Permanent Resident

1069 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2003 :  1:04:59 PM  Show Profile Send Hello Knitty a Private Message
This is like the knitting for money thread! I'd say don't waste your time on a bunch of ingrates! Think of all the things you could have knit for yourself!

Go to Top of Page

Hello Knitty
Permanent Resident

1069 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2003 :  1:04:59 PM  Show Profile Send Hello Knitty a Private Message
This is like the knitting for money thread! I'd say don't waste your time on a bunch of ingrates! Think of all the things you could have knit for yourself!

Go to Top of Page

Beckyh
Gabber Extraordinaire

471 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2003 :  1:07:17 PM  Show Profile Send Beckyh a Private Message
Mark them off the A-list and get their next gift at Staples!

Becky

Go to Top of Page

Beckyh
Gabber Extraordinaire

471 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2003 :  1:07:17 PM  Show Profile Send Beckyh a Private Message
Mark them off the A-list and get their next gift at Staples!

Becky

Go to Top of Page

moxie
Seriously Hooked

844 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2003 :  1:27:40 PM  Show Profile Send moxie a Private Message
Don't be too hard on the people who thank you graciously but never wear the gift. What can they do if their taste differs or the item doesn't fit (except give it back or ask for a change, which would be rude)? Or, perhaps some might appreciate your handmade gift so much that they are afraid to wear it out! I personally have some favorite items of clothing (not gifts) that I never wear because I don't have any occasion or anything to match. But I love to see them hanging in the closet, and wait for the day when I grow three inches taller, find a copper-colored velvet skirt with matching amber jewelry, and get invited to a ball.

When DH and I got married we received a lot of decorative items, none of which matched: plaster gnomes, art deco, stainless steel modern, Arts&Crafts. Almost everything was nice in its own way but if I had put them all on display it would have looked like a flea market!

Since then I try not to give anything for display unless I am 100% sure it would fit in: for instance, if I know that the recipient is an avid collector of a certain plate pattern, etc. Same goes with clothing-- unless I'm willing to give the giftee matching skirt, bag, shoes, or jacket I'm not going to worry too much if it disappears. I'm satisfied just to see the giftee try on the item once, and then know that I did a nice job.

But thumbs down to the people who think a handmade gift is opportunity to treat you like their personal tailor!

Go to Top of Page

moxie
Seriously Hooked

844 Posts

Don't be too hard on the people who thank you graciously but never wear the gift. What can they do if their taste differs or the item doesn't fit (except give it back or ask for a change, which would be rude)? Or, perhaps some might appreciate your handmade gift so much that they are afraid to wear it out! I personally have some favorite items of clothing (not gifts) that I never wear because I don't have any occasion or anything to match. But I love to see them hanging in the closet, and wait for the day when I grow three inches taller, find a copper-colored velvet skirt with matching amber jewelry, and get invited to a ball.

When DH and I got married we received a lot of decorative items, none of which matched: plaster gnomes, art deco, stainless steel modern, Arts&Crafts. Almost everything was nice in its own way but if I had put them all on display it would have looked like a flea market!

Since then I try not to give anything for display unless I am 100% sure it would fit in: for instance, if I know that the recipient is an avid collector of a certain plate pattern, etc. Same goes with clothing-- unless I'm willing to give the giftee matching skirt, bag, shoes, or jacket I'm not going to worry too much if it disappears. I'm satisfied just to see the giftee try on the item once, and then know that I did a nice job.

But thumbs down to the people who think a handmade gift is opportunity to treat you like their personal tailor!

Go to Top of Page

moxie
Seriously Hooked

844 Posts

Go to Top of Page

reelgrrrl
Chatty Knitter

USA
229 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2003 :  1:44:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit reelgrrrl's Homepage Send reelgrrrl a Private Message
I agre about not being to hard about gracious people who never wear your gift. Havent we all recieved something like that? I know I've gotten things, and I've truely appreciated that someone thought of me, but it totally wasnt anything Id ever use. I too have things I like so much that I never wear them =) My own first pair of hand knit socks for example. I never wear them because I dont want them to wear out!

http://cherryduckie.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

reelgrrrl
Chatty Knitter

USA
229 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2003 :  1:44:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit reelgrrrl's Homepage Send reelgrrrl a Private Message
I agre about not being to hard about gracious people who never wear your gift. Havent we all recieved something like that? I know I've gotten things, and I've truely appreciated that someone thought of me, but it totally wasnt anything Id ever use. I too have things I like so much that I never wear them =) My own first pair of hand knit socks for example. I never wear them because I dont want them to wear out!

http://cherryduckie.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

onestitchshort
Chatty Knitter

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2003 :  2:10:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit onestitchshort's Homepage Send onestitchshort a Private Message
I haven't had knitting gifts unappreciated, but then again I haven't made very many. I have, however, faced the assumption that knitting allows you to make things for people cheaper than you could buy them. I used to have that percption, too, until I began knitting. So, I can see people thinking that the gift was cheaper. I have slowly started to educate my friends on the cost of yarn, etc. before I give them gifts so that they understand that it is not only a gift of time but also a gift that isn't done so I can spend less money. That way they truly appreciate it when they get a knitted gift from me.
-sarah b.

Visit my little corner of the web http://www.onestitchshort.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

onestitchshort
Chatty Knitter

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2003 :  2:10:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit onestitchshort's Homepage Send onestitchshort a Private Message
I haven't had knitting gifts unappreciated, but then again I haven't made very many. I have, however, faced the assumption that knitting allows you to make things for people cheaper than you could buy them. I used to have that percption, too, until I began knitting. So, I can see people thinking that the gift was cheaper. I have slowly started to educate my friends on the cost of yarn, etc. before I give them gifts so that they understand that it is not only a gift of time but also a gift that isn't done so I can spend less money. That way they truly appreciate it when they get a knitted gift from me.
-sarah b.

Visit my little corner of the web http://www.onestitchshort.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

mtchen
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2003 :  2:22:51 PM  Show Profile Send mtchen a Private Message
So I guess the best thing to do is to give gifts to your knitting friends?? Only they understand your pain?? I'm wondering also if it's because a lot of people have gotten used to machine-perfect knitwear and a handknit item just looks kind of "frumpy" or something...

Go to Top of Page

mtchen
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2003 :  2:22:51 PM  Show Profile Send mtchen a Private Message
So I guess the best thing to do is to give gifts to your knitting friends?? Only they understand your pain?? I'm wondering also if it's because a lot of people have gotten used to machine-perfect knitwear and a handknit item just looks kind of "frumpy" or something...

Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2003 :  4:58:19 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Hi, Mtchen: Its not so much that they have gotten use to machine knit garments as it is they haven't a clue the amount of work and time that goes into making something as they don't do it themselves. Wouldn't even know where to begin and because they don't know how they think its easy. I had an aunt who would knock anything I knit for her but she was an expert knitter. She would do the same to things I would cook and I can honestly tell you she couldn't boil a decent pot of water. Just keep on knitting but only for those who appreciate it. Actually the funny thing about my aunt, I might hear all about it and times want to strangle her with whatever I had spent time and money on she would wear whatever and tell her friends that I had made it for her. Go figure. Take care. Beverley

Bev
Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2003 :  4:58:19 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Hi, Mtchen: Its not so much that they have gotten use to machine knit garments as it is they haven't a clue the amount of work and time that goes into making something as they don't do it themselves. Wouldn't even know where to begin and because they don't know how they think its easy. I had an aunt who would knock anything I knit for her but she was an expert knitter. She would do the same to things I would cook and I can honestly tell you she couldn't boil a decent pot of water. Just keep on knitting but only for those who appreciate it. Actually the funny thing about my aunt, I might hear all about it and times want to strangle her with whatever I had spent time and money on she would wear whatever and tell her friends that I had made it for her. Go figure. Take care. Beverley

Bev
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 15 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 2.92 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.