Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: An Irish twist on yarn from Black Water Abbey
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Lace Forum
 I'm Doing Lace!!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Karknit
Seriously Hooked

USA
711 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2006 :  11:43:12 AM  Show Profile Send Karknit a Private Message
I have played around with lace before trying to learn how to put all those yo,ssk,psso etc together, but always got so confused I would quit trying.
Now I'm making something for REAL and I'm so excited.
I'm making the dayflower scarf found online, and up to the 3rd repeat with no errors! Its a simple repeat pattern and I can memorize the rows. I think it incorperates all the stitches I would use in a bigger lace project. Its a simple project, but I have to start somewhere.

And you know what? Lace is fun. I love the consentration and only thinking about the the next stitch and watching the stitches come together to form something so pretty.

I may become a lace lover.

Karen

My diet incentive, to knit smaller sweaters.

desi_knitter
Gabber Extraordinaire

507 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2006 :  12:04:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit desi_knitter's Homepage Send desi_knitter a Private Message
Ah, welcome to the world of lace, its rhythm, its incredible lightness, its simplicity. You'll never look back!

Visit my new blog:
http://desiknitter.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

busypainter
Chatty Knitter

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2006 :  2:03:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit busypainter's Homepage Send busypainter a Private Message
I am also hooked on lace. The feel and weight is so nice.
So many lovely colors for lace knitting now that you want to use all the colors.
After a while you will get used to the yarn overs, etc. I just have to be very careful to purl the yarn overs when I am working on the back side. Sometimes they do become one stitch instead of 2 separate stitches. But do lace does teach you to be careful and have patience!
Just love to do lace.
Go to Top of Page

Karknit
Seriously Hooked

USA
711 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2006 :  05:38:14 AM  Show Profile Send Karknit a Private Message
Beware beginner lace question.

Seems to be I will have to brake down and learn to read a chart.
What is the best way to color code a chart?

Karen

Go to Top of Page

maribelaprn
Permanent Resident

USA
2033 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2006 :  07:43:24 AM  Show Profile Send maribelaprn a Private Message
The "best way" is the way that works for you!! Here's my system...

I bought a set of 6 different coloured highlighters at the local office supply store and developed a system I can remember. I always use blue for k2tog, green for ssk, pink for purl, and yellow for YO. I tend not to highlight knit sts and if there are many purl sts in sequence, I tend not to highlight those as I find a long block of colour distracting. If there are other sts, I use orange or purple to highlight those and I always highlight the symbol key so I have a reference. And if I need more colours, I'll not highlight the purl sts and use the pink for that. In addition to the knit and purl sts, this system accomodates up to 6 more sts that need to get my attention. By doing this, I can get a quick cue from the colour and know what the stitch coming up is without having to remember what the symbol stands for, especially since there isn't only 1 symbol to relfect a given stitch.

When you really become a chart addict, you can download a knitting symbol font from Knitter's Magazine (scroll down to Symbol Font) and create your own charts in a spreadsheet...then you know your addicted! When a chart isn't included in a pattern, I create my own chart using Excel and the Knitter's symbol font and I highlight each cell on the chart using my favourite colour scheme. And to think a year ago, I refused to get into this chart thing! You can indeed teach a very old dog new tricks!

Mari

2006 shawls/throws completed: 11
2006 socks completed: 4
WIP: Baltic Sea shawl (Fiber Trends) in Rowanspun 4 ply

My blog: http://maribelaprn.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

mamacita
Chatty Knitter

USA
155 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2006 :  12:01:15 PM  Show Profile Send mamacita a Private Message
I realize that I should probably ask this question elsewhere but this lace thread (with experienced lace knitters) seems like the appropriate place to post this question.

I am VERY anxious to try Ene's Shawl from "Scarf Style" but have never tried lace before. I am a left-handed knitter who holds the yarn in my left hand and moves the stitches from my right needle to my left. I have recently taught myself cables and was so excited that they were so easy (I feared them for some silly reason). However, I recognize that my cables are all a mirror image of what the pattern shows. Exactly how would I read a pattern for lace to make it turn out as it should? One fellow knitter told me that I should just teach myself to knit "the right way". I realize that I may have bungled when I found a little book to teach myself left-handed but would hope that I could just adjust my patterns and not completely reteach myself to knit. Any suggestions to save me???

Thank you,

Cheryl
Go to Top of Page

Karknit
Seriously Hooked

USA
711 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2006 :  9:15:51 PM  Show Profile Send Karknit a Private Message
Thank you very much Mari, I will try to color a chart for my next SIMPLE project. It would be easier to just look at a color and know what to do next. I'm tired of enlarging written patterns to 16 or 18 point to be able to see them while I knit.

Karen

Go to Top of Page

DeAnn
Seriously Hooked

USA
831 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2006 :  06:00:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit DeAnn's Homepage Send DeAnn a Private Message
Hi Karen,
Welcome to the wonderful world of lace.
Just wait 'til you block it out---then you'll really be hooked!

DeAnn
Ms.D's Knitting Knotebook

When the chips are down.....
The Buffalo is empty.
Go to Top of Page

AuntyNin
Seriously Hooked

USA
772 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2006 :  07:28:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit AuntyNin's Homepage Send AuntyNin a Private Message
Cheryl, I'm working on Ene's right now. Since it's symmetrical, you should be able to knit it without a problem, no matter which direction you're going.

If you're uncertain, try this: cast on about 50 stitches and swatch each of the patterns. That'll tell you whether you need to make any adjustments.

AuntyNin

Everything happens for a reason, except possibly football. --- Terry Pratchett

http://home.earthlink.net/~lradiga1/
Go to Top of Page

mamacita
Chatty Knitter

USA
155 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2006 :  09:25:59 AM  Show Profile Send mamacita a Private Message
AuntyNin,

Thank you so much for replying. I am so anxious to try this scarf but was told by a fellow knitter that lace was more complicated than just "reversing" the pattern. I will give it a try and see how it works.

Thanks,

Cheryl
Go to Top of Page

Karknit
Seriously Hooked

USA
711 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2006 :  11:10:56 AM  Show Profile Send Karknit a Private Message
Boy, I sure spoke out of turn. After 3 repeats you would think I would have the pattern down wouldn't ya? Well messed up so bad I had to rip rip rip.
I tried to start over, but couldn't get it right after that.
Looking for another easier pattern. I'm not giving up!

Karen

Go to Top of Page

busypainter
Chatty Knitter

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2006 :  12:23:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit busypainter's Homepage Send busypainter a Private Message
Good for you not to give up!
Before I begin a new pattern, I usually study the directions a few times. Then I start making a sample piece with odd ball yarn. Sometimes I use the needles that the pattern calls for or whatever I feel will go with the yarn. Remember it is only for practice and for me to get formailar with the pattern.
I knit it as far as I want to go. I iron out the bugs this way and when I knit with the good yarn, I am more experienced.
I save the practice piece. So later I can refer back to it or add on to it to iron out more bugs.
If in doubt, I always make a sample.
Hope this helps.
Lace is so much fun!
Go to Top of Page

Karknit
Seriously Hooked

USA
711 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2006 :  2:15:49 PM  Show Profile Send Karknit a Private Message
Why is lace so hard to do?
I mean I can do the stitches correctly, but when I try to put them in a row I get all messed up.

Practice practice practice, and a little prayer thrown in.

Karen

Go to Top of Page

MMario
Permanent Resident

2208 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2006 :  06:11:14 AM  Show Profile Send MMario a Private Message
One stitch at a time...One stitch at a time...

I find I mess up when I get too comfortable...especially when I get confident and stop double checking my stitches.!!!

MMario - I don't live in the 21st century - but I play a character who does.
Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2006 :  09:53:29 AM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
I've never color coded a chart.

If there is a long string of knit stitches, say, more than 5, I will write in the number of consecutive knits so I don't have to count them every time I get to that section. That saves a ton of time.

For the lefty knitter: do you know what way your decreases lean? When you knit 2 together, does it lean left or right? I knit backwards sometimes for entrelac, etc, but I have not done any shaping so I don't know. As long as your decreases lean the way they are supposed to, I don't see why it would be a problem. I guess you would read the charts from left to right instead of right to left like normal right handed people. I say, go for it! There is nothing you can't do just because you are left handed. Except maybe use certain scissors.

Anita
My completed projects

and here

Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2006 :  09:54:49 AM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
OK, now let's all stand around and watch while these new lace knitters join us in the vortex of lace knitting addiction! Heh heh heh!

Anita
My completed projects

and here

Go to Top of Page

MMario
Permanent Resident

2208 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2006 :  10:05:22 AM  Show Profile Send MMario a Private Message
shhhhhhhhhhh....If you scare them off before they complete a project they might not get fully addicted, uhm, indoctrinated , err, acclimated

MMario - I don't live in the 21st century - but I play a character who does.
Go to Top of Page

Karknit
Seriously Hooked

USA
711 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2006 :  12:17:02 PM  Show Profile Send Karknit a Private Message
Can't scare me off, I'm going to get lace down if it brakes my needles or my yarn is fit to be tied.
If I can shuttle tat, I can knit lace.

Karen

Go to Top of Page

mwyn
Permanent Resident

USA
1419 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2006 :  12:54:38 PM  Show Profile Send mwyn a Private Message
Did you see the Lace Extravaganza post a day or so ago?? Oodles of tips & just plain fun reading. Here's the link for the site.
http://www.knittingbeyondthehebrides.org/lace/schedule.html
I spent way too much time & copier paper there !

mwyn

One who works with his hands is a laborer. With hands & head; a craftsman. With hands, head & heart an artist. (Paraphrase St. Francis of Assissi)
Go to Top of Page

busypainter
Chatty Knitter

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2006 :  1:27:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit busypainter's Homepage Send busypainter a Private Message
Lace knitting can be addictive. I'm so glad I got hooked.
Go to Top of Page

AkamaiKnitter
Warming Up

71 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2006 :  09:54:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit AkamaiKnitter's Homepage  Send AkamaiKnitter a Yahoo! Message Send AkamaiKnitter a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Karknit

Seems to be I will have to brake down and learn to read a chart.
What is the best way to color code a chart?

There's a lace chart tutorial here: <p><ahttp://www.fibertrends.com/viewer/patterns/s2010.html" target="new">Learf Lace Shawl</a></p>

and I don't usually color code, but I do use the highligher tape taht Knit Foundry has to keep my place. http://www.knitfoundry.com/prod_highlightertape.html

I'm pretty sure you can find the Highlighter tape at office supply stores too.

HTH!

Aloha,
Opal

The Akamai Knitter's Blog
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.86 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000