Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Tool Talk
 Needles
 Tools of the Trade
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JudyT
New Pal

13 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2003 :  07:35:15 AM  Show Profile Send JudyT a Private Message
Really appreciated your great article on Knitting Needles. I have been knitting for a long time but did not know anything about the newer needles, having been a Boye/aluminum needle user for most of my projects. Now, I am eager to try a little variety in my knitting life! Thanks, and I look forward to more information in the near future!

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2003 :  09:31:14 AM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Hi, Judy: I love Bryson needles except for the fact they don't have circulars which I prefer. If you like straight needles though they are wonderful--easy on the hands. Take care. Beverley

Bev
Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Hi, Judy: I love Bryson needles except for the fact they don't have circulars which I prefer. If you like straight needles though they are wonderful--easy on the hands. Take care. Beverley

Bev
Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Bev
Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Bev
Go to Top of Page

M. Shawn
Chatty Knitter

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2003 :  5:22:44 PM  Show Profile Send M. Shawn a Private Message
quote:

Really appreciated your great article on Knitting Needles. I have been knitting for a long time but did not know anything about the newer needles, having been a Boye/aluminum needle user for most of my projects. Now, I am eager to try a little variety in my knitting life! Thanks, and I look forward to more information in the near future!

Judy,

Oh yes! Experiment with needles. The different materials really affect your knitting. Plus, it's just fun to have different kinds of needles. They're all so pretty!

My favorite needle isn't available commercially any longer. They are made of lucite and Susan Bates and Boye put them out years ago. The only way to find them now is to haunt thrift shops. They are slick without being too slick. They don't click clack while you knit. Every yarn I've ever used: acryilc, wool, mohair, silk, cotton, etc. has handled BEAUTIFULLY on them.

My second favorite material is bamboo. The needles are slippery but with enough grip so that your stitches don't accidentally slip off the tip when you set the work down.

I also have a beautiful set of maple size 11s. They're beautiful to hold and feel so nice and warm in your hands. I love to work slick synthetics with these needles but don't like to work wool or mohair because they seem to stick to the grain.

Good luck with your experimentation!

M. Shawn
Go to Top of Page

M. Shawn
Chatty Knitter

USA
147 Posts

quote:

Judy,

Oh yes! Experiment with needles. The different materials really affect your knitting. Plus, it's just fun to have different kinds of needles. They're all so pretty!

My favorite needle isn't available commercially any longer. They are made of lucite and Susan Bates and Boye put them out years ago. The only way to find them now is to haunt thrift shops. They are slick without being too slick. They don't click clack while you knit. Every yarn I've ever used: acryilc, wool, mohair, silk, cotton, etc. has handled BEAUTIFULLY on them.

My second favorite material is bamboo. The needles are slippery but with enough grip so that your stitches don't accidentally slip off the tip when you set the work down.

I also have a beautiful set of maple size 11s. They're beautiful to hold and feel so nice and warm in your hands. I love to work slick synthetics with these needles but don't like to work wool or mohair because they seem to stick to the grain.

M. Shawn
Go to Top of Page

M. Shawn
Chatty Knitter

USA
147 Posts

quote:

Judy,

M. Shawn
Go to Top of Page

M. Shawn
Chatty Knitter

USA
147 Posts

quote:

Judy,

M. Shawn
Go to Top of Page

nuttyindahead@yahoo.com

Posted - 06/02/2003 :  3:03:21 PM  Show Profile Send nuttyindahead@yahoo.com a Private Message
How come it's so difficult to find information, or to purchase, (I believe they're called) flexable knitting needles? The are single pointed with a nylon type shaft attatched and a thing on the end to block the yarn.... Any body know where you can buy these?
Go to Top of Page

nuttyindahead@yahoo.com

Posted - 06/02/2003 :  3:03:21 PM  Show Profile Send nuttyindahead@yahoo.com a Private Message
How come it's so difficult to find information, or to purchase, (I believe they're called) flexable knitting needles? The are single pointed with a nylon type shaft attatched and a thing on the end to block the yarn.... Any body know where you can buy these?
Go to Top of Page

nuttyindahead@yahoo.com

Go to Top of Page

Summer
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
581 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2003 :  6:04:43 PM  Show Profile Send Summer a Private Message
You can order them through several places, one being here http://www.joann.com/catalog.jhtml?CATID=52434&PRODID=47191&AID=5056649&PID=978793 (enlarge the image to make sure I'm on the right track with what you are talking about). There are also these http://www.newyorkknits.com/Catalog/pony__total__knitting_needle__24___1362032.htm which look pretty nifty since you have the point protector, stopper at the end, and row counter all in one. I've also seen them for sale on ebay but they usually are included with a bunch of other needles. If I remember right, there's a post in April or so titled something like Hybrid Needles so you might search these forums for that. Also try searching google for flexible knitting needle.

Jill

Go to Top of Page

Summer
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
581 Posts

You can order them through several places, one being here http://www.joann.com/catalog.jhtml?CATID=52434&PRODID=47191&AID=5056649&PID=978793 (enlarge the image to make sure I'm on the right track with what you are talking about). There are also these http://www.newyorkknits.com/Catalog/pony__total__knitting_needle__24___1362032.htm which look pretty nifty since you have the point protector, stopper at the end, and row counter all in one. I've also seen them for sale on ebay but they usually are included with a bunch of other needles. If I remember right, there's a post in April or so titled something like Hybrid Needles so you might search these forums for that. Also try searching google for flexible knitting needle.

Jill

Go to Top of Page

Summer
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
581 Posts

Jill

Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2003 :  6:09:55 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
Other names for those needles are Flex Needles or Jumper needles. They have been around a long time but are just now being "rediscovered"

fran

Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Other names for those needles are Flex Needles or Jumper needles. They have been around a long time but are just now being "rediscovered"

fran

Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

fran

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.56 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?