Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: An Irish twist on yarn from Black Water Abbey
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Worst Project Nightmare
 I need a hug!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

pmack17
Warming Up

89 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2006 :  09:28:59 AM  Show Profile Send pmack17 a Private Message
For the first time I have decided to abandon a project and it's sort of shaken my confidence to try anything else.

The project was a lacy rib knit sweater in Cotton Fleece. It had yarn overs and I couldn't figure out how to recover from dropped stitches and I couldn't read the knitting well enough to fix my mistakes. I used my Denise needles the first go 'round and fought the cable the entire time. Then I saw the light and realized all needles don't work with all fibers. I switched to some old Boye circs and the yarn slid better. That lessened the dropped stitches but didn't get rid of them entirely. After knitting 10" of the sweater twice, I have accepted the fact that I just can't do this pattern with this yarn.

I'm pretty much at peace with this decision but my problem now is that I'm afraid to try anything else. Fortunately I've got a pair of socks that need only mindless rounds of cuff ribbing so I'm hopeful a few days of that will clear my mind.

Thanks for letting me vent!

meknits
Chatty Knitter

USA
175 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2006 :  09:39:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit meknits's Homepage Send meknits a Private Message
I've got one of those disasters staring at me. Frog it, and give the yarn a time out.

http://marymqc.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Suzann
Seriously Hooked

USA
869 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2006 :  10:12:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Suzann's Homepage Send Suzann a Private Message
consider yourself hugged Everyone has that sort of thing happen to them and it is a real bummer. Put the project aside and do something else. In a little while you will be able to look at it fresh. And your skill level will rise. One thing that helps with lace patterns is the liberal use of markers. Even if you have to move them every round. They help you count each and every repeat. Lace can be a bit tricky, because of the yo and the decreases. It is hard to see how the pattern is working. Why not try a simple lace scarf or do a big swatch of the pattern. That way the errors won't be so painful if you have to frog.
The first lace I did was a simple (or what everyone said was simple) cats paw pattern. It may have been simple for them, but it might as well have been Chinese for me. I couldn't see what I was suppose to do. And when the mistakes crept in, I was unable to fix them. Heck the only way I knew I made a mistake, was too many or too few stitches at the end of the row. I just felt like I must have been the dimmest light bulb ever. Fast forward a year and I have a better idea of what my knitting is suppose to look like. I can now spot where the mistake happened and fix it.
It isn't really skill as much as experience. You will whip that sweater out soon
Oh yeah needles make a big difference. And the needles really depend on how each knitter works. What works for me, might be a night in hades for someone else
We just keep growing and getting better

Suzann

Making cables is like making love. There is a lot of foreplay before you get to the deed
http://lostpurl.blogspot.com/

http://www15.brinkster.com/lyricalarmy/lace/lace.htm
Go to Top of Page

VickiKK
Seriously Hooked

935 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2006 :  10:58:30 AM  Show Profile Send VickiKK a Private Message
I definitely think that lace is something that is not going to happen at certain stages of one's life. The concentration level is sometimes too intense for me after a day filled with working, commuting, paying bills, or knowing the yard is out there demanding my attention. I have tinked the same two rows on my Garden Path shawl every night this week. Simple pattern but the change every other row and long repeats are about doing me in.
Oh well, back to row 80 again tonight!!

So, here's a huge Hug from me to you. practice practice practice

Vicki near Seattle
Go to Top of Page

Momma78239
Permanent Resident

USA
4859 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2006 :  11:56:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Momma78239's Homepage  Send Momma78239 a Yahoo! Message Send Momma78239 a Private Message
We have all had projects like this! It's not your fault. The yarn just didn't want to "be" that sweater. Good for you for letting the yarn speak to you. There are a lot of knitters who can't do that.

-WendyM[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/Momma78239/smallspindlepic.gif[/IMG]
And all the women that were wise hearted did spin with their hands, and brought that which they had spun, both of blue, and of purple, and of scarlet, and of fine linen. Exodus 35:25
Go to Top of Page

meknits
Chatty Knitter

USA
175 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2006 :  12:07:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit meknits's Homepage Send meknits a Private Message
pmack17,
I'm sorry. I clicked submit before finishing. Sending a big hug your way.

http://marymqc.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

pmack17
Warming Up

89 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2006 :  12:59:26 PM  Show Profile Send pmack17 a Private Message
Thanks. You are all so sweet. I had another revelation: I can return the unused yarn!! Even though I'll have to pay some postage I'll no longer have those 3 perfect, unused skeins of Cotton Fleece staring at me! What a relief to have those gone!
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2006 :  1:22:21 PM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message
Here is you hug and what a good idea to return the unused yarn.

Wanda

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

dschmidt
Permanent Resident

3935 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2006 :  4:42:05 PM  Show Profile Send dschmidt a Private Message
Returning the yarn is a great decision. Some yarns just do not work well for some patterns. I'm sure you'll get your confidence back soon.

Donna in VA
Go to Top of Page

Janice Rosema
Chatty Knitter

USA
207 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2006 :  5:41:53 PM  Show Profile Send Janice Rosema a Private Message
Consider yourself hugged!You have my sympathy, I have currently banished a lace shawl project to a needle holder (didn't want to tie up the Addi needles) and it has been banished to the work basket and occasionally on a really calm day (they are rare) I pull it out vowing to give another go but then I get over it and put the +&* (I mean potentially gorgeous) item back into the pit of projects that are making me crazy! In my case, it is a good plan. Maybe one day, it will be resurected and finished. As if!

Hang in there and do some "mindless knitting" to soothe your ruffled feathers. Tomorrow is another day!
Go to Top of Page

Pink Dandelion
Chatty Knitter

136 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2006 :  01:27:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Pink Dandelion's Homepage Send Pink Dandelion a Private Message
Aaaww that's rough. I have a cardigan that's done that to me, shaken my confidence in my ability to do certain techniques. I think it happens to everybody one time or another on some project.

I second Janice - go at some mindless knitting. Booga Bags or Lopi Totes are nice, and anything wrong felts right out! Then try a simple lace project to work your confidence back up!

and here are your hugs --> (((((HUGS)))))

Hope you have better luck with future projects :)

[img]http://pinkdandelion.com/images/PDgifsmall.gif[/img]
My Blog:www.pinkdandelion.com
Go to Top of Page

PurpleFleece
Chatty Knitter

USA
158 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2006 :  03:26:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit PurpleFleece's Homepage Send PurpleFleece a Private Message
I started a fisherman knit sweater from my handspun yarn about 2 years ago. I'm about halfway through the front. I can't bring myself to work on it at all. All that spinning...all those post-it notes marking each row of each pattern. I vowed that I would finish the front and do all the other pieces in moss stitch. That didn't spur me on either. Oh well. It sits there in a basket just glaring at me....Big Hugs.

Purple Fleece
info@PurpleFleece.com
www.PurpleFleece.com
[img]http://www.millcovehouse.com/PurpleFleece.jpg[/img]
Go to Top of Page

JeanneL
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
394 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2006 :  05:29:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit JeanneL's Homepage Send JeanneL a Private Message
I had the same thing happen when it came to lace. I kept on trying a pattern over and over - and was starting to become convinced I couldn't do it. I ripped it out for the last time, put the yarn away and bought an easier pattern and new yarn and it worked. Great idea sending the yarn back...sometimes is just the reminder of seeing the yarn that brings back all the negative feelings. I'm sure the next time you try lace it will go better. Hugs!

Jeanne

http://jeanneknits.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

pmack17
Warming Up

89 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2006 :  09:35:40 AM  Show Profile Send pmack17 a Private Message
You know how you feel when your hamster dies and you have to pack up the cage and throw away the shavings and the extra food? Well, that's how I felt yesterday when I packed up the extra yarn to send off, put away the used yarn, the swatch and the pattern! But I must admit, it feels great now not to have any reminders of that project. I feel so free to start something else, (well, something else easy).
Thanks so much. You have been great huggers and listeners. This is such a supportive community.
Go to Top of Page

Lavender Stripes
Gabber Extraordinaire

417 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2006 :  11:20:47 AM  Show Profile Send Lavender Stripes a Private Message
I recently had an experience like that: a mid-thigh tan cabled wool coat. Love love love the idea, hate hate hate the project. I finished the entire body and part of a sleeve before abandoning it. I came back to it just a few weeks ago, and after some support here, I ripped it all out with my new ball winder. Not only did I get to play with my new toy, but the entire time I got to think about what I was going to make next! I find the best way to do this if you are having a hard time is to treat yourself a bit: I got Starbucks and a box of Pocky and put an old season of Friends (what can I say?) on my laptop, and just went at it. It really helps to think of what you can make that yarn into.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v251/QueenLorien/USALaceTeam.jpg[/img]
Go to Top of Page

eclair
Chatty Knitter

New Zealand
320 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2006 :  11:02:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit eclair's Homepage Send eclair a Private Message
Well done for admitting defeat! And I don't mean that in a negative way. I've spent years being reproached by projects that Just Weren't Meant To Be and they spoiled all the good projects by making me feel guilty for not torturing myself further by finishing them off first. It took a round-the-world emigration and shipping all my stuff Sort-Out to make me face my Demons In Acrylic. It was very liberating to surrender and donate the yarn that I loathed, to throw away the project that wouldn't be frogged (mohair, eek!) and to give away the horrible sweater which didn't suit me at all (I forced myself to finish that one but What Was I Thinking?!)

You have gained knowledge of yourself, as well as that yarn and that pattern. Life is a learning experience. You just lived a little!

Eclair
Go to Top of Page

Sang
Chatty Knitter

196 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2006 :  11:59:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sang's Homepage  Send Sang a Yahoo! Message Send Sang a Private Message
I think when you get the refund for the cotton fleece you should go buy yourself a skein of cashmere and make yourself a fetching hat for next winter.

{{{{{pmack}}}}}}} <-----hug for pmack.

And I also think you should use the old yarn to knit some baby stuff for charity. That'll make you feel better about that nasty cotton fleece!!

Cheers!
Sang.
Go to Top of Page

Chemcats
Permanent Resident

3337 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2006 :  05:13:27 AM  Show Profile Send Chemcats a Private Message
Oh the dreaded confidence shaking moments! This happened to me last week, when I discovered that I was doing something wrong...something basic!...for a while. I was so disgusted and depressed that I was going to give away stash and needles and never knit again. I sulked (good at that, btw) and picked up a mindless knit and re-learned what I had a total brain dump on.

So two days of sulk, back to the basics and self-examination, I am happily knitting. And as far as the work I did that was all wrong? I'm keeping it and I'm going to use it and I am going to wear it, but not so much in public.

I still feel stupid, but it is not a terminal condition. Your situation is NOT you, it is the yarn and/or pattern...not you! Or maybe the Yarn Gods thought they would have a bit of a giggle at your expense. They do that, you know.
Go to Top of Page

VickiKK
Seriously Hooked

935 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2006 :  6:49:33 PM  Show Profile Send VickiKK a Private Message
As I was pondering the case of the forgotten yo's, it dawned on me that I was forgetting the yo at the end of the repeat.
Well, I think it because I'm so relieved at the end of the repeat when it says, for example, "K2" and I have that many stitches left that I forget. <G>
Vicki near Seattle
Go to Top of Page

Karknit
Seriously Hooked

USA
711 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2006 :  1:37:16 PM  Show Profile Send Karknit a Private Message
I have read so many posts about how easy something is to do, and I am struggling through trying to do the same project, only to rip over and over again. There are somethings I guess my brain just can't figure out.
Take lace for instance, some knitters seem to zip right through a project with no problem at all with those ssk psso yos. I can't do 3 rows without ripping out 2.
There that off my chest, I feel so much better now. Thank you for letting me vent.
I think the bottom line is, its not you, its perhaps the pattern and the yarn that just don't mix. Cotton Fleese is mostly cotton, and for me at least doesn't work well with lace. I know I'll be sorry I said that.

I have had my confidence busted several time with knitting. However its like getting back on the horse, after a fall, ya just go and find a smaller horse, so when you fall next time its not so far down.

Karen

My diet incentive, to knit smaller sweaters.
Go to Top of Page

scraffan
Permanent Resident

1844 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2006 :  3:42:53 PM  Show Profile Send scraffan a Private Message
I started to make a couple of dishclothes for a friend. I figured after the last time I took out the pattern it was time to say hey hey good bye! I switched to a different pattern and I am making faster headway. Which is a good thing as the dishcloths have a deadline to be made by...
So I understand about moving on to something different and moving on to other projects.
Good luck with your new project and you were right to listen to the yarn..I should have a few days ago.
Karen in MA
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 2.47 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.