Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Dyeing Discussion
 Color Theory
 Color exercises -- extending the last topic
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2003 :  04:03:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
AT the risk of sounding like a broken record:

Deb Menz' book Color in Spinning has great color exercises. They are spinning exercises, but worth considering. She does use a color wheel, but then - she's writing a book - you are supposed to be able to practice her exercises.

She encourages you to try all the ideas - from same hue to conrasting value to complimentary tints. She even combines warm with cool colors - one of the no-no's I've heard in color theory.

Another great book is Blue and Yellow Don't Make Green -- Michael Wilcox You can play with his ideas using water colors.

Bess
http://likethequeen.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2003 :  04:03:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message

Deb Menz' book Color in Spinning has great color exercises. They are spinning exercises, but worth considering. She does use a color wheel, but then - she's writing a book - you are supposed to be able to practice her exercises.

She encourages you to try all the ideas - from same hue to conrasting value to complimentary tints. She even combines warm with cool colors - one of the no-no's I've heard in color theory.

Another great book is Blue and Yellow Don't Make Green -- Michael Wilcox You can play with his ideas using water colors.

Bess
Go to Top of Page

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Bess
Go to Top of Page

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Bess
Go to Top of Page

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Bess
Go to Top of Page

yllek
Warming Up

73 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2003 :  09:15:59 AM  Show Profile Send yllek a Private Message
quote:
In the meantime, does anyone here have any exercises to offer? Is there anything you do to plan a colorway? How do you all choose color combinations?

One exercise that I like is to observe color combinations that already exists (paintings, landscapes, architecture, magazine clippings, paint chips). Let's say for the purposes of this exercise that you can reproduce the colors pretty accurately in print or by sketching. Then when you use your color wheel to analyze your sample, notice the hue, value, saturation... notice in what proportion the colors exist in the sample... notice the neighboring colors... notice the weird little accent colors... By this time, you have a pretty good idea about the colors you can extrapolate out of the sample. Use the color wheel again to find reasonable analogs in yarn (the hardest part for me...*sigh*)

Alice Starmore's Book of Fair Isle Knitting has some great examples of how she extrapolates a colorway from photographs she has taken.

Kelly
Go to Top of Page

yllek
Warming Up

73 Posts

quote:
In the meantime, does anyone here have any exercises to offer? Is there anything you do to plan a colorway? How do you all choose color combinations?

One exercise that I like is to observe color combinations that already exists (paintings, landscapes, architecture, magazine clippings, paint chips). Let's say for the purposes of this exercise that you can reproduce the colors pretty accurately in print or by sketching. Then when you use your color wheel to analyze your sample, notice the hue, value, saturation... notice in what proportion the colors exist in the sample... notice the neighboring colors... notice the weird little accent colors... By this time, you have a pretty good idea about the colors you can extrapolate out of the sample. Use the color wheel again to find reasonable analogs in yarn (the hardest part for me...*sigh*)

Alice Starmore's Book of Fair Isle Knitting has some great examples of how she extrapolates a colorway from photographs she has taken.

Kelly
Go to Top of Page

yllek
Warming Up

73 Posts

quote:

Kelly
Go to Top of Page

Susan T-O
Permanent Resident

USA
2481 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2003 :  11:02:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Susan T-O's Homepage Send Susan T-O a Private Message
quote:

Later she said to me, "I took one look at you and thought, 'this must be a test. Yes, that's it. A test.'"

LOL!!! You couldn't have looked TOO horrifying if you are still together! Isn't it odd what we'll overlook when we are in the early stages of romance? On my first date with Ralph, we were at an after-hours BBQ at the Ren Faire (we were both working there), and sharing some elk meat someone had brought. We were doing the cutesy "hold it in your teeth and I'll bite my share off" with a piece that I guess was too small, 'cause he *bit my lip* hard enough to draw blood! I don't mean a few drops, either, his teeth went halfway through my lower lip from the inside. Despite that um, interesting start, we were married within 9 months (no, I wasn't pregnant!) and are coming up on 4-1/2 years of wedded bliss

But, sticking with the topic, (me? Stick to the topic? I *suppose* that could happen ) sometimes what you expect to clash turns out really nice. I was looking for some mixed-color fiber a few weeks ago, and couldn't find anything that met all my criteria (looked attractive, bright colors, soft texture to the fiber, minimum of 8 ounces in the roving, and less than $16/oz thank you very much) so I picked up what I thought was the ugliest one there: lime green, purple, orangey-rust, and blue. It spun up into such beautiful yarn, and the yarn is knitting up into a wonderful pair of socks. Or rather, *a* sock, I need to spin more to finish the second.

--Susan T-O

Avalon was sitting by herself, knitting as if her life depended on finishing the garment.--Jill Churchill, "The Class Menagerie"
Go to Top of Page

Susan T-O
Permanent Resident

USA
2481 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2003 :  11:02:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Susan T-O's Homepage Send Susan T-O a Private Message
quote:

Later she said to me, "I took one look at you and thought, 'this must be a test. Yes, that's it. A test.'"

LOL!!! You couldn't have looked TOO horrifying if you are still together! Isn't it odd what we'll overlook when we are in the early stages of romance? On my first date with Ralph, we were at an after-hours BBQ at the Ren Faire (we were both working there), and sharing some elk meat someone had brought. We were doing the cutesy "hold it in your teeth and I'll bite my share off" with a piece that I guess was too small, 'cause he *bit my lip* hard enough to draw blood! I don't mean a few drops, either, his teeth went halfway through my lower lip from the inside. Despite that um, interesting start, we were married within 9 months (no, I wasn't pregnant!) and are coming up on 4-1/2 years of wedded bliss

But, sticking with the topic, (me? Stick to the topic? I *suppose* that could happen ) sometimes what you expect to clash turns out really nice. I was looking for some mixed-color fiber a few weeks ago, and couldn't find anything that met all my criteria (looked attractive, bright colors, soft texture to the fiber, minimum of 8 ounces in the roving, and less than $16/oz thank you very much) so I picked up what I thought was the ugliest one there: lime green, purple, orangey-rust, and blue. It spun up into such beautiful yarn, and the yarn is knitting up into a wonderful pair of socks. Or rather, *a* sock, I need to spin more to finish the second.

--Susan T-O

Avalon was sitting by herself, knitting as if her life depended on finishing the garment.--Jill Churchill, "The Class Menagerie"
Go to Top of Page

Susan T-O
Permanent Resident

USA
2481 Posts

quote:

--Susan T-O

Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2003 :  1:25:51 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
I was also ridiculed in school for wearing blue and green together. The rude girl asked why I mixed them and I told her to look closely, they were woven together in the fabric. It was a classic plaid. I think the ridicule has more to do with the personality of the person rather than the colors.

fran

Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

I was also ridiculed in school for wearing blue and green together. The rude girl asked why I mixed them and I told her to look closely, they were woven together in the fabric. It was a classic plaid. I think the ridicule has more to do with the personality of the person rather than the colors.

fran

Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

fran

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.2 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.