Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Knitter's Review Retreat details and Sheepshow
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Dyeing Discussion
 Color Theory
 Choosing colorways for the color impaired...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Phaedra28
Gabber Extraordinaire

485 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2003 :  6:59:09 PM  Show Profile Send Phaedra28 a Private Message
My Usually Beloved Husband informed me at breakfast this morning that my ability to choose colors that go together is roughly comparable to my ability to sing. In other words, nonexistant! This is not news to me, but it made me wonder how many other people hear the same sort of thing?

Mind you, I'm so worried about it that I've already planned the colors for my next project: yellow, yellow green, sky blue and the odd dash of orange. It'll be great! Or not, but since it'll either be socks or used in a multicolor sweater, it won't much matter if it's not as good as I think. Someone said to me once that anything you dye yourself will be successful, since it's made up of colors that speak to you. I'm not totally sure I agree, but I'm not totally sure that I don't.

Besides, I like lime green and orange!

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2003 :  8:09:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message
Did you ever read that book "Color Me Beautiful?" Or something like that...

In the book she talks about how people choose colors that tend to flatter them. This, of course, assumes that they're given a wide palate to choose from and aren't too heavily swayed by fashions. She says this is why two people that are differnt "seasons" shouldn't necessarily shop together; if I shop with someone of a different season, I'm going to try to keep giving them colors that flatter me.

At any rate--I know that my partner can wear colors that I can't. When she wants something for herself, I give her a color weel and have her choose colors. I do this for almost anyone I'm knitting for (unless it's a surprise, of course). That way I know that they're colors they'll like.

Amanda

Mindy to Heidi: Did I tell you she knits in class? She knits away and two weeks later she comes in wearing a new sweater!
Go to Top of Page

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2003 :  8:09:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message
Did you ever read that book "Color Me Beautiful?" Or something like that...

In the book she talks about how people choose colors that tend to flatter them. This, of course, assumes that they're given a wide palate to choose from and aren't too heavily swayed by fashions. She says this is why two people that are differnt "seasons" shouldn't necessarily shop together; if I shop with someone of a different season, I'm going to try to keep giving them colors that flatter me.

At any rate--I know that my partner can wear colors that I can't. When she wants something for herself, I give her a color weel and have her choose colors. I do this for almost anyone I'm knitting for (unless it's a surprise, of course). That way I know that they're colors they'll like.

Amanda

Mindy to Heidi: Did I tell you she knits in class? She knits away and two weeks later she comes in wearing a new sweater!
Go to Top of Page

mbmoody
Gabber Extraordinaire

583 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2003 :  08:19:01 AM  Show Profile Send mbmoody a Private Message
Kaffe Fassett advises that if you're not sure if a few colors work together, add more colors. If you can classify all of the colors in the same very general category, the more the better. By category, I mean a description like "jewel tones", "autumn leaves", or "pastels." Ten colors that are roughly related will look better than three or four that need to work together.
Go to Top of Page

mbmoody
Gabber Extraordinaire

583 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2003 :  08:19:01 AM  Show Profile Send mbmoody a Private Message
Kaffe Fassett advises that if you're not sure if a few colors work together, add more colors. If you can classify all of the colors in the same very general category, the more the better. By category, I mean a description like "jewel tones", "autumn leaves", or "pastels." Ten colors that are roughly related will look better than three or four that need to work together.
Go to Top of Page

MatchboxMona
Chatty Knitter

Canada
111 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2003 :  12:44:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit MatchboxMona's Homepage Send MatchboxMona a Private Message
Personally I think that the colors you chose will go very well together!! They all seem to have a more or less high content of yellow in it, I say: go for it!! Actually, in my opinion lime green and orange look great together. Color theories fascinate me and I have ventured into different ones, some seemingly stupid, some less so...What I want to say:

Color conception and preferences are very personal - don't let your husband discourage you! Knitter's are artists and therefore have the freedom to experiment and use any colorcombination they imagine.

Just my

Mona

Go to Top of Page

MatchboxMona
Chatty Knitter

Canada
111 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2003 :  12:44:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit MatchboxMona's Homepage Send MatchboxMona a Private Message
Personally I think that the colors you chose will go very well together!! They all seem to have a more or less high content of yellow in it, I say: go for it!! Actually, in my opinion lime green and orange look great together. Color theories fascinate me and I have ventured into different ones, some seemingly stupid, some less so...What I want to say:

Color conception and preferences are very personal - don't let your husband discourage you! Knitter's are artists and therefore have the freedom to experiment and use any colorcombination they imagine.

Just my

Mona

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.39 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.