Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitterly Happenings and Events
 Festival report
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2003 :  4:59:43 PM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
I had the most wonderful time at the sheep and wool festival. I took pictures of lots of sheep and a few alpaca and angora rabbits. Oohh I want a bunny! They were so cute. When I get my pictures organized I will put them on my picture trail site.

There were hundreds of vendors selling all kinds of yarn. I focused on yarn I couldn't buy just anywhere. I bought yarn for a scarf in a ribbon yarn, a sweater in a gorgeous wool-mohair blend, some cashmere for a wonderful lace scarf, several patterns and some needles. It was great. They had many many food vendors, a lot of them selling lamb in various ways. I had a lamb sandwich. When I was ready to go I was craving ice cream but the only hard ice cream seller had just closed! My sweet tooth was screaming so I went to a booth selling pastries and bought some of the best apple strudel I have ever had. Way better than ice cream. I brought some home for DH. It was worth the trip just for the strudel.

A group of us from KR had arranged to meet at noon near the entrance. It was fun to meet people I only knew by their screen names. You are all as nice in person as onscreen.

I watched the border collies work the sheep. They were amazing. They had an 8 month old pup who they said was just ready to start training. When they let her loose she wandered aimlessly at first then headed straight for the crowd and started leaning on people to be pet. The handler had to go pick her up and face her towards the sheep. SHEEP! WHEEE!!. She took off after them like a shot and herded them all over the ring. They had to stop her. The older dogs were extremely focused and disciplined. It was fascinating to watch.

Such yarn! And so many fleeces and so much roving. It's a good thing I don't spin or I would have gone nuts. All the tools of spinning are so beautiful -- the wheels, the drop spindles -- made of lovely wood. I am not going there.

I want to go play with all the new yarn. But what about the yarn I bought last week?

I'm exhausted! I walked almost nonstop from 9 am to 5 pm, looking at sheep and yarn. I need to lie down.

Anita

See my completed projects!
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=977585&uid=619962&members=1

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2003 :  5:34:28 PM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message
Anita, it sounds like you had a great day.

Zola
Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2003 :  5:34:28 PM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message
Anita, it sounds like you had a great day.

Zola
Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2003 :  5:56:18 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Hi, Anita: It sounds to me as though you had the best time or should I say the time of your life. Just think if you got two angora bunnies you could have yarn forever. I love border collies. I remember an old Peanuts cartoon where they are all lying under a tree when one of the group asks "Who are the greatest athletes football, basketball, baseball or hockey players?" Snoopy knew without a doubt or hesitation that border collies are the best. I love border collies. They don't make good pets though as you have to keep them very busy. There was a man who lived close by who had two and would take them to the park down the street to exercise. I loved it when I saw them. He would throw something--don't know what, perhaps a ball, and one of the dogs would find and the other fetch. I am glad you didn't taunt us with the yarn you bought. I go on public transit to Stitches when its in Oakland as I can't haul that much back on a train. Take care. Beverley
Bev
Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2003 :  5:56:18 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Hi, Anita: It sounds to me as though you had the best time or should I say the time of your life. Just think if you got two angora bunnies you could have yarn forever. I love border collies. I remember an old Peanuts cartoon where they are all lying under a tree when one of the group asks "Who are the greatest athletes football, basketball, baseball or hockey players?" Snoopy knew without a doubt or hesitation that border collies are the best. I love border collies. They don't make good pets though as you have to keep them very busy. There was a man who lived close by who had two and would take them to the park down the street to exercise. I loved it when I saw them. He would throw something--don't know what, perhaps a ball, and one of the dogs would find and the other fetch. I am glad you didn't taunt us with the yarn you bought. I go on public transit to Stitches when its in Oakland as I can't haul that much back on a train. Take care. Beverley
Bev
Go to Top of Page

earthcore
Chatty Knitter

USA
139 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2003 :  6:06:46 PM  Show Profile Send earthcore a Private Message
Thanks for the report! I was wondering if you all were having fun. (How could you not be?) Maybe next year I'll be able to go.......

Go to Top of Page

earthcore
Chatty Knitter

USA
139 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2003 :  6:06:46 PM  Show Profile Send earthcore a Private Message
Thanks for the report! I was wondering if you all were having fun. (How could you not be?) Maybe next year I'll be able to go.......

Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2003 :  6:09:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
Anita, it was great to see you, and Bess, to hug you, and Marfa and Jen and Shawn and Linda and Patricia and Barbara. What fun!

Those who remember my laundry list from last year will be flabbergasted to read that............I didn't buy a single ball of yarn!!!! (insert collective gasp here).

AFter attempting all afternoon to talk myself out of this weird fixation I've had for several months to buy a spinning wheel, I tried all that I could find, then, at the end of the day, stumbled across Curt Fricke and his cute little single treadle machine. Kasey and I had been talking about splitting the cost of a Babe ($140 single, 170 double). This Fricke, while not a double, was easy to use, will accomodate my clumsy attempts at spinning bulky singles, and comes with 4 bobbins, a treadle "cosy", a lazy kate, an oil kit and a bump - all for $186. It comes with a "lifetime" guarantee - that would be CURT'S lifetime (and he ain't 20 any more!)!

I then, of course, had to spend another $200 on what to spin. Tomorrow (I'm WAY too tired tonight...) I'll put it together. Wish me luck!

Lissa
You may be right - I may be crazy. But it just may be a lunatic you're looking for!
Billy Joel
Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2003 :  6:09:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
Anita, it was great to see you, and Bess, to hug you, and Marfa and Jen and Shawn and Linda and Patricia and Barbara. What fun!

Those who remember my laundry list from last year will be flabbergasted to read that............I didn't buy a single ball of yarn!!!! (insert collective gasp here).

AFter attempting all afternoon to talk myself out of this weird fixation I've had for several months to buy a spinning wheel, I tried all that I could find, then, at the end of the day, stumbled across Curt Fricke and his cute little single treadle machine. Kasey and I had been talking about splitting the cost of a Babe ($140 single, 170 double). This Fricke, while not a double, was easy to use, will accomodate my clumsy attempts at spinning bulky singles, and comes with 4 bobbins, a treadle "cosy", a lazy kate, an oil kit and a bump - all for $186. It comes with a "lifetime" guarantee - that would be CURT'S lifetime (and he ain't 20 any more!)!

I then, of course, had to spend another $200 on what to spin. Tomorrow (I'm WAY too tired tonight...) I'll put it together. Wish me luck!

Lissa
You may be right - I may be crazy. But it just may be a lunatic you're looking for!
Billy Joel
Go to Top of Page

marfa
Permanent Resident

USA
1994 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2003 :  1:58:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit marfa's Homepage Send marfa a Private Message
How do.
Anita, it was such a pleasure to meet you! I'm glad that a place & time for lunch was set so that we could all wander over & say hello. I like putting faces & voices & a person to the computer names - it allows me to imagine you as I read your posts. Let's do this next year too!
Lissa, congrats on the new knitting "toy"! Look forward to hearing how you're doing w/it & I'm sure I'll see some of it in the Fall at the Retreat!

Go to Top of Page

marfa
Permanent Resident

USA
1994 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2003 :  1:58:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit marfa's Homepage Send marfa a Private Message
How do.
Anita, it was such a pleasure to meet you! I'm glad that a place & time for lunch was set so that we could all wander over & say hello. I like putting faces & voices & a person to the computer names - it allows me to imagine you as I read your posts. Let's do this next year too!
Lissa, congrats on the new knitting "toy"! Look forward to hearing how you're doing w/it & I'm sure I'll see some of it in the Fall at the Retreat!

Go to Top of Page

sharienne
Warming Up

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2003 :  4:01:52 PM  Show Profile Send sharienne a Private Message
Hi all... I was there, but I was afraid to go meet you all at the gate because I didn't know how long I'd be able to walk....

I ended up buying three fleeces (one shetland and two Jacob's) and I just started spinning. I had the fleeces sent for processing so I wouldn't look like I had as much when I walked in the house :)

I am steaming my first skein as I write... I'd better get good at spinning real quick :)

Otherwise, I avoided the yarn WAY too tempting :)

I was SOOOO much fun!

Maybe I'll be well enough to spend time and see you all next year.

Shari

Go to Top of Page

sharienne
Warming Up

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2003 :  4:01:52 PM  Show Profile Send sharienne a Private Message
Hi all... I was there, but I was afraid to go meet you all at the gate because I didn't know how long I'd be able to walk....

I ended up buying three fleeces (one shetland and two Jacob's) and I just started spinning. I had the fleeces sent for processing so I wouldn't look like I had as much when I walked in the house :)

I am steaming my first skein as I write... I'd better get good at spinning real quick :)

Otherwise, I avoided the yarn WAY too tempting :)

I was SOOOO much fun!

Maybe I'll be well enough to spend time and see you all next year.

Shari

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?