Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Knitalongs
 Watergarden Shrug Knitalong
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

marybk
New Pal

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2006 :  04:08:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit marybk's Homepage Send marybk a Private Message
The pictures on your web page are wonderful, Jane, and provide lots of inspiration. I appreciate people sending them in. Has anyone used this pattern with a single yarn? I use Homespun for prayer shawls (washability and price and speed to knit being important) and this pattern seems a natural for a gift to someone feeling vulnerable and not very attractive or feminine in a hospital bed.

==Mary
Go to Top of Page

Tangled Jane
Seriously Hooked

Canada
750 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2006 :  03:59:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tangled Jane's Homepage Send Tangled Jane a Private Message
What a lovely idea. I can picture someone sitting in bed, wrapped in one of these shrugs and feeling very special, feminine and hopeful. Knitters seem inspired by knitting one and I can only imagine a recipient of such a gift feeling equally inspired. Plus, the yarns do not need to be expensive to look fabulous. Mary, is it you who mentioned that you knit yours in inexpensive yarns? Yet, look at the result!

By the way, I've announced a shrug kit giveaway on my knitalong site today. All knitalongers qualify. Just send me a photo of your shrug at any stage of development and your name will have the chance to be randomly drawn at the end of the month for a fabulous kit from Yarnstashio (http://www.chezcas.com/yarnstashio.htm).

I've just posted two more shrug pictures today, too. http://janethornley.com/journal_knitalong.php
Go to Top of Page

Karen K
New Pal

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2006 :  3:38:24 PM  Show Profile Send Karen K a Private Message
OK already! I can't resist any longer. I MUST join in..the knitalong, that is. (Never mind about the Lorna's Laces Clapotis that I'm not even halfway through yet...I used to have rules about these things!)Anyways, imagine my surprise when I downloaded the pattern-19 pages-not that I'm complaining (You can never be too rich, too thin or have too many pictures in a pattern. I need all the inspiration I can get). I'm determined to use what I have in terms of yarn so I doubt mine will be as pretty as others but I'll feel my way through this one and then SPLURGE on the next. Photos to follow.
Karen K
Go to Top of Page

Knitrageous
Permanent Resident

USA
1445 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2006 :  8:16:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Knitrageous's Homepage Send Knitrageous a Private Message
Wow! Everyone's shrugs are looking great!

~~~~Jamye

I don't have a problem with authority, I just have a problem with people telling me what to do.
Go to Top of Page

marybk
New Pal

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2006 :  04:52:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit marybk's Homepage Send marybk a Private Message
I couldn't resist. I got a few inches done on the body and decided to sew up the sleeve so I could try it on. Even though I used a lot of stash and cheaper yarns (plus a few more expensive with irresistible colors), it really is lovely. I am very anxious to finish. Sewing the sleeve was easier than I expected, given the yarn changes.

Where are the rest of you with your shrugs? Although it goes fast, I've had obligations at work and it's not something I can carry with me to work on in spare moments.

==Mary
Go to Top of Page

Golden29
New Pal

4 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2006 :  11:09:23 AM  Show Profile Send Golden29 a Private Message
Well I'm just finishing my first cuff - and so far I'm having a great time doing this pattern. I was a little nervous about how the yarns would look together but so far I'm really liking how they look together. This is the most fun I've had knitting something for a while. I don't usually use fancy yarns (although I've got some gorgeous mohair) - I don't use them because I've never come across anything to use them with - until now . I want to get a little further along and then I'll send Jane some pics of how I'm coming along. I tried to take a picture last night and my yarn looks a lot lighter pink in the picture than what it really is - in real life it's actually more of a fushia. Any way - hope everyone is having as much fun doing this as I am - I'm thinking this shrug will pretty much knit itself.

Beverly, Ontario, Cda
Go to Top of Page

lford
Chatty Knitter

USA
143 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2006 :  12:07:10 PM  Show Profile Send lford a Private Message
Well I finally received the last of the yarn ordered for my daughter's birthday shrug. Here is what I got:

Hannah Silk ribbon - Sea Goddess
Danette Taylor Party Ribbon - Summer Rain
Cherry Tree Hill Sachet Ribbon - Life's a Beach
Judi & Co Reflections - Caribbean
K1C2 Tartlette - Sea Jewels
Noro Hana Silk Tape - Turquoise
Alchemy Synchronicity - Willow, Boo's Garden, and Mist
Berocco Boho - Absynthe
Adriafil (?) Froufrou - White/Greens/Blues
Colorlash - Dark turquoise
Flutter - Light greens and blues

I know I'll have yarn leftover so I will make sure I look at Jane's 'Indonesian Silk Scarf' pattern. I have read all the previous posts, there is a lot of good info there. Thanks Jane for commenting on the 4.5mm needle. I was going crazy trying to figure out where I could get those today so I could cast on tonight!

I posted a question on another forum about washing yarn before using. Since alot of us are using the same yarns, maybe someone could comment on whether any of these should be washed prior to casting on?

I'm really excited about starting the shrug. Will post pictures when available.

Linda
Go to Top of Page

MJB
Chatty Knitter

USA
195 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2006 :  04:37:26 AM  Show Profile Send MJB a Private Message
Linda
The colors sound wonderful! Looking forward to photos!

mjb
Go to Top of Page

lford
Chatty Knitter

USA
143 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2006 :  9:00:28 PM  Show Profile Send lford a Private Message
I finally found time to cast on my shrug tonight. Got 2 rows of a cuff done using 4.5mm (7 US) needle and Tartlette and Synchronicity. I had no problem carrying the unused yarn on the wrong side. I stopped to check the width of the cuff at the cast on edge since it looked narrow and was not stretchy. It measured 7.5", not wide enough to fit on over a hand. The schematic does not show the width of the cuff. Did anyone else have this problem. Could be I am just knitting too tight, I have that tendency. Should I go up a needle size or 2 or cast on a few more stitches? Can someone, or few of you measure your cuff width at the cast on edge and let me know what it should measure?

Linda
Go to Top of Page

lford
Chatty Knitter

USA
143 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2006 :  10:07:18 PM  Show Profile Send lford a Private Message
I know I am obsessing about cuffs, but... I decided to use a size 8 needle, cast on very loosely, kept my work loose, and made sure to stretch out the stitches on the needle as I worked them to allow for enough 'carried over' yarn to allow for cuff width. This is probably a no-brainer for most of you, but I am a fairly new knitter. This gave me a 8.75 wide cuff which is slightly stretchy. Yea! I do have 2 more questions though:

1. In Jane's photo of the cuff, the ribbon is used for the purl stitches (on right side) and the silk is knit. Does this matter, mine is the opposite. My guess is no.

2. If I alternate the ribbon and silk (k2p2 ribbing)on 42 stitches, I will end up with 4 knit stitches at the seam. Is this correct?

Linda
Go to Top of Page

marybk
New Pal

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2006 :  04:57:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit marybk's Homepage Send marybk a Private Message
I reversed the ribbon/yarn for my knit and purl sts on the cuff (just didn't think to do it the way Jane did till I saw close-up and wasn't about to rip it out!) It is fine.

==Mary
Go to Top of Page

Tangled Jane
Seriously Hooked

Canada
750 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2006 :  11:36:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tangled Jane's Homepage Send Tangled Jane a Private Message
Hi, everybody. Linda, I was just about to jump in and respond to your cuff question when I saw that you resolved it on your own. By the way, whether you purl with one yarn or and knit with the other in the k2p2 rib is a matter of choice or circumstance. I usually like both effects so end up letting the yarns tell me what to do. In the Indigo vest, I kept the purl 'bumps' with the dominent blue yarn, allowing the mextures to receed in the alternating knit sequences.

I've posted a new shrugalong post today along with another portrait of a shrug.

http://janethornley.com/journal_knitalong.php
Go to Top of Page

MJB
Chatty Knitter

USA
195 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2006 :  12:09:41 PM  Show Profile Send MJB a Private Message
Jane,

I read your new posting on your web about the seed stitch...can you shed some light on seed stitch on even amount of stitches and then uneven? Does it make a difference?

thanks
mjb
Go to Top of Page

Tangled Jane
Seriously Hooked

Canada
750 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2006 :  1:09:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tangled Jane's Homepage Send Tangled Jane a Private Message
Hi, MJB. I know some people are perfectionists when it comes to these sorts of things but free range knitting just isn't that particuliar. In fact, with so much texture and yarn change activity, a minor aberration simply gets buried alive. So, if you're in the midst of a row of seed but, following a decrease or increase, find yourself resuming the seed out of sequence, keep the sequence but do whatever makes the most sense for that roque stitch. It may mean knitting two knits in a row or two purls or even reducing that stitch all together and increasing at the end of a row. Because you never work any one stitch for more than a few rows, the occasional roque stitch out of sequence will never become noticable to anyone but you. So, to answer your question, it really doesn't make a difference.

Jane
Go to Top of Page

lford
Chatty Knitter

USA
143 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2006 :  10:19:01 AM  Show Profile Send lford a Private Message
I am really loving this project. I was fairly intimidated at the start but it looks much more difficult than it actually is. I also love that it is very forgiving. As long as I don't drop a stitch, I can relax and enjoy the process instead of agonizing over technique.

I am still obsessing over sizing however. Is the sleeve length established when the sleeve width measures 30" and is marked? I really want the sleeves to be 3/4 length and so want to be careful about this. Any comments appreciated.

All the pictures are beautiful. I plan to finish the next set or 2 of rows before I email a picture to Jane. I notice in your pictures that some of you have not woven in ends. Does anyone have a system for this tiresome task? I thought I would use them to sew the sleeve seam.

As an aside, is anyone using Synchronicity? I love this yarn. It is so soft and the colors are beautiful. I am almost afraid to calculate the cost of a cardigan. Sounds like a great birthday gift from my husband!

Linda
Go to Top of Page

lford
Chatty Knitter

USA
143 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2006 :  2:41:58 PM  Show Profile Send lford a Private Message
I finally figured out the whole sleeve length thing. I guess I blame my constant questions on a lack of confidence and inexperience. I think by the time I finish my shrug I will have more confidence in my knitting. Then I can start bothering you more experienced knitters with questions about finishing which is my least favorite thing about knitting.

Linda
Go to Top of Page

Tangled Jane
Seriously Hooked

Canada
750 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2006 :  3:54:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tangled Jane's Homepage Send Tangled Jane a Private Message
Linda, you're doing great! You're intrepid, willing to take risks and embarking on a fairly ambiguous project in my 'free range knitting' style, (where more experienced knitters might fear to tread). By problem-solving so many things along the way, you're a true adventure knitter. I think I can detect your confidence growing my the inch....
Go to Top of Page

marybk
New Pal

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2006 :  04:34:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit marybk's Homepage Send marybk a Private Message
I took my shrug to my LYS yesterday to buy some Boho and ribbon I've run out of. I was thrilled when I showed it to Cathy (Keep-Me-in-Stitches, Frederick, MD) and she said she was making the Watergarden in dark blues to show off in the shop! When I went several weeks ago to buy yarn, I showed her the pattern and gave her the URL for Jane but really didn't expect her to be working on one.
Go to Top of Page

Tangled Jane
Seriously Hooked

Canada
750 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2006 :  08:20:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tangled Jane's Homepage Send Tangled Jane a Private Message
Hey, I've even had emails from shop owners asking to carry my patterns because knitalongers have been in to forage for yarn! Now I'm going to have some print off for wholesale.

Thanks, everyone!
Go to Top of Page

Tangled Jane
Seriously Hooked

Canada
750 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2006 :  3:53:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tangled Jane's Homepage Send Tangled Jane a Private Message
More pictures of shrugs posted today on my site, everyone!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.83 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?